• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Dumbbell bench way too risky for me. Too much stretch on the old pecs and biceps plus the hassle of getting a pair of 150lb dumbells into position - I hate all sit-ups including the negative sit-ups that come with laying down holding ridiculous sized dumbells.

Never been a huge fan of DB press - but will rotate them in every so often - will bench generally 2-3 times a week though....

Dumbbell bench way too risky for me. Too much stretch on the old pecs and biceps plus the hassle of getting a pair of 150lb dumbells into position - I hate all sit-ups including the negative sit-ups that come with laying down holding ridiculous sized dumbells.

I love DB floor presses. Stops you going too far back :)

I don't understand this bit can you explain in more detail please? Why is it so dangerous to do those 2 together but not separately?

Sure
Firstly, the DB bench press is an excellent exercise in it's own right, as with all exercises there are pros and cons, and as with most things, we want to do "everything" when just doing a little bit is what's called for.
we get too hung up on being perfect, or making sure your training is symetrical and in-balance or that it looks good on paper.

Young blokes screw it up by adding more to a routine when things are going well, don't.

The barbell press is an exercise that allows one to move a lot of weight, it doesn't need assistance, once a week is enough, what the bench press does need is a healthy shoulder, we all know what makes an unhealthy shoulder, if you don't you're in the wrong game.

I would say that the DB press is much more important to the lifting hobbyist that the barbell press, along with a well thought out routine for the individual, rather than some cherry-picked one.

Last edited:
I love DB floor presses. Stops you going too far back :)

Floor presses look absorutery silly to me.

For the powerlifter i feel there needs to be more time spent making sure the shoulder blades are moving, the floor press is counterproductive.

The row should be the powerlifters best friend, in fact, should be the 4th powerlift.

Floor presses look absorutery silly to me.

For the powerlifter i feel there needs to be more time spent making sure the shoulder blades are moving, the floor press is counterproductive.

The row should be the powerlifters best friend, in fact, should be the 4th powerlift.

plenty o'rows in my program ... it's one of the standards I always do with many variations.
I doubt you'd find anyone doing PL who would not do lots of rows.

I reckon the ideal and more functional pressing movements is where the scapula pressing against an inanimate object eg bench to allow for more natural movement of the shoulders, and forces the person to brace in more neutral position, rather than all arched up like a reverse shrimp. Thats why I love the overhead press >> bench personally.

I don't have many options other than DB Press. Especially for incline chest work.
I don't mind it, but as mentioned can be difficult getting everything into place for a set.
They can be excellent for really good contraction at lighter weight and moving slow.

I reckon the ideal and more functional pressing movements is where the scapula pressing against an inanimate object eg bench to allow for more natural movement of the shoulders, and forces the person to brace in more neutral position, rather than all arched up like a reverse shrimp. Thats why I love the overhead press >> bench personally.

there is a school of thought that overhead press should be one of the key strength lifts instead of bench. it's a more functional lift and movement for sure.

I can see something going terribly wrong not being able to grind the last rep out to rehook them, having to bail out and getting tangled up in the hook.

Looks to me as if you'd still be able to drop them just the same as you would a regular dumbell. It'd probably bend or break the hooks, but I think you'd be pretty unlucky to get caught up in them.

there is a school of thought that overhead press should be one of the key strength lifts instead of bench. it's a more functional lift and movement for sure.
The overhead press in the good old days was the go to standard of strength demonstration
Then some bright sparks took to the bench press because it was easier and yet at the same time allowed them to lift more weight, which to them was more impressive.

They were also getting to the point of arching and hyperextending the back so far that it was ridiculous to call them overhead presses anymore. It looked more like standing bench press! So that sexy young spark brought over a bench and saved everyone's trouble (and backs).

The overhead press in the good old days was the go to standard of strength demonstration
Then some bright sparks took to the bench press because it was easier and yet at the same time allowed them to lift more weight, which to them was more impressive.

I'm a fan of the OH press too, actually. I couldn't do it for ages due to all the crapola going on with my left upper back/scap/rhomboids/whothehellknows lol
looking to add it back in as i seem to be OK with DB oh pressing atm.

no, too much effort for me to get dumbells up.
I agree somewhat with this.

So i use them for amrap type ascending sets instead up to an 8 or 9rpe each set.

20xmax
25xmax
30xmax
35xmax for eg.

Bump it up 2.5kg per week.

Tim.