• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yeah Darkoz

An assisting exercise for the bench press would be the row, or a variation of this.

The bench press is just a shit exercise

I just have an intense dislike for the term 'assistance' in general, especially in a bodybuilding/resistance exercise context.

What would you call it then [MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION];? Secondary exercise? Because if the first exercise is the main exercise (compounds usually) you want the second exercise to assist in the main exercise to work on weaknesses or strength imbalances whatevers. Hence the word 'assistance'. But you can call it secondary if that sits better with you.

If you do both, you have rocks in your head.
But what if you're on a PUSH/PULL/LEGS program like myself, where you want to group all the pushing movements together? What else can I do after bench that involves dumbells and pushing? Not many options as far as I can see!

I think "assistance" is more of a powerlifting term; exercises that assist in the main 3 lifts. I agree that in bodybuilding it's a bit of a meaningless term.

But what if you're on a PUSH/PULL/LEGS program like myself, where you want to group all the pushing movements together? What else can I do after bench that involves dumbells and pushing? Not many options as far as I can see!
There are other exercises for chest besides bench press, surely you realise this?

There are other exercises for chest besides bench press, surely you realise this?
I know, but I wanna use dumbbells (or shall I say, extend my arm from retraction to full extension with dumbbells as the counterweight at the end of the moment arm) :confused:

Viv, an observation if I may and this in no way is targeting you in particular but a general statement regarding the use of the word "assistance" which is often used around the place.

The exercise being referred to here, the dumbell bench press is an exercise in it's own right, so what exactly then is it "assisting"?
Frankly, the term itself is misleading and I'd go as far as to say that it's bullshit in this context.

I was doing a lot of single arm work so one arm db bench because I have/had a significant diff between my left and right and it was affecting my bench badly.
it really helped bring up my left side strength and helped even out my bench.
by assistance, for me and usually in PL, it means you work on stuff that will help address weaknesses or imbalances you might have that impact your major lifts.

that is all it means in context of my situation and that of most people I know in PL (can't say in general as i obviously don't know everyone lol).

:)

What would you call it then @Darkoz;? Secondary exercise? Because if the first exercise is the main exercise (compounds usually) you want the second exercise to assist in the main exercise to work on weaknesses or strength imbalances whatevers. Hence the word 'assistance'. But you can call it secondary if that sits better with you.
I stated in my previous post that each exercise is an exercise in it's own right, there is no 'secondary' exercise.
'Compounds' movement simply means an exercise that moves more than one joint, which in this case dumbell bench press does, same as barbell bench, one does not 'assist' the other.

Anyway, You can develop the chest without any bench pressing at all.

Regardless Viv, dumbell bench press doesn't 'assist' anything

perhaps not for you but it did help address my strength imbalance so I'm going with the evidence, even if only my own lol

in helping that issue, it assisted my bench because when things get heavier I don't have the problem of my right arm shooting up and my left making it only halfway.

I call that assistance.

perhaps not for you but it did help address my strength imbalance so I'm going with the evidence, even if only my own lol

in helping that issue, it assisted my bench because when things get heavier I don't have the problem of my right arm shooting up and my left making it only halfway.

I call that assistance.
Ah the old " if the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" trick. :D

The fundamental difference between the two exercises are that one is converging, the other isn't.
the other is that one is able to use a lot more weight.

back in the day, power lifters on the west coast would do workouts, they would start training closer to a meet, which makes much more sense.

mixing the two IMO in the same workout is a recipe to a torn pec at worst.