• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I defy anyone with a decent barbell DL to lift a misshapen object of roughly the same weight without using a horrible technique.

People used to lift to make their day to day life easier, now it's about numbers and perfect form and somewhere along the way living life and doing dumb shit like lifting/pushing/pulling something heavy on your own was forgotten.

Round back deadlifting will catch up to you eventually :cool:
If you think differently, you're ill informed

I risk killing myself in a molten ball of steel every time I drive though, so it's a risk I'm willing to take

Deadlifting heavy with perfect form will also cause damage that will catch up with you in later years. All heavy repetitive weight training will do some harm. But a few aches in later life will be more than off set by the benefits of increased muscle mass and probably better levels of fitness than a sedentary person.

I would choose muscle mass and strength over just cardiovascular conditioning. Those leathery old geezers on bicycles and in speedos look like Tutankhamen.

There is little evidence to suggest that exercise of any type will materially increase life expectancy over that of a sedentary person and those who push it to the limits may even not make it to a good age. Beautiful corpse.

It's not how long you live that counts; its the quality of life that matters most. Weights over BDSM approved slotted nappy wearing hammer junkie with a pierced ball gag anyday..

deadlifting with a slightly round back isn't the problem it's round back deadlifting when you are not strong enough to do it.

Good find. It can be a good way to create the lat tightness, there are other easy ways too.. But the others don't look as cool

Some great cues... Will give that a nudge next Deadlift session.

Thanks for sharing [MENTION=12409]Sir El Stiffy[/MENTION]

[MENTION=9189]canned tuna[/MENTION]; someone asked you why you set yourself before Deadlifting with the arms parallel to the ground. I think you replied because Brandon Lily or someone does. Here could be the reason he does. From article on "safe Deadlifting": (to set the Lats)

http://www.stack.com/2015/06/01/deadlift-back-rounding/?utm_source=yahoo

Pretty shit vid if you ask me.

I don't know how you actually deadlift without activating your lats. Trying to do it on purpose fucks my dead up.

Lifting your chest when deadlifting seems to turn the dead into a squat with the bar in you hands. Possible when you deadlift 100kg but no good when getting into half reasonable weight.

Pretty shit vid if you ask me.

I don't know how you actually deadlift without activating your lats. Trying to do it on purpose fucks my dead up.

Lifting your chest when deadlifting seems to turn the dead into a squat with the bar in you hands. Possible when you deadlift 100kg but no good when getting into half reasonable weight.

Seems to be Brandon Lilly's preferred set up ;)

Expecting to eat my words but then see bloke deadlift like what I was talking about. Didn't lift his chest up or try and squat the weight up.

Not really about lifting chest. Its about getting Back tension. He says to get the rib cage down and get lat activation before gripping bar. "Put the shoulder blades in your back pocket".

Last edited:
Not really about lifting chest. Its about getting Back tension. He says to get the rib cage down and get lat activation before gripping bar. "Put the shoulder blades in your back pocket".

Don't change the topic on me. My first reply was mainly about the lifting chest in the video you posted. It's garbage for deadlifting if you ask me.

Don't change the topic on me. My first reply was mainly about the lifting chest in the video you posted. It's garbage for deadlifting if you ask me.

Good campaigning for Kunce of the Year Brother Barry. All he's teaching is how to get Back tension to stop excessive rounding of the Back.

"Getting the lats to engage to a greater degree is a fullproof way to provide more spinal stability and prevent the back from rounding during a Deadlift.
A mistake many trainees make—in an effort to increase back tightness—is to pull their shoulder blades together prior to their set. This actually increases the distance the bar must travel. By pulling your shoulder blades together you make your arms shorter, which makes it more difficult to get to the bar.
Instead, I like to tell people to "place your shoulder blades in your back pocket." Then, when you bend down to pick up the bar, you should use the bar as a counterbalance to "pull your chest up." Another way to say this is "bend the bar before you pull," which helps take the slack out of it.
The combination of these cues will help activate the lats and provide a ton more stability to the spine. Another effective cue to give people is to tell them to "squeeze an orange in their armpit."