• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
788176-76111cae-f932-11e4-9416-e181221d5c3b.jpg

The once-legendary strongman now begs for money on Venice Beach. Source: Supplied

BILL Pettis was an eighties legend, blessed with biceps bigger than Arnie’s and the face of an iconic poster for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics.

But while Schwarzenegger became a Hollywood and political heavyweight, the bodybuilder who beat him to the title of “world’s largest arms” wound up broke and homeless in Venice Beach.
Bill, now 68, was even banned from a bodybuilding contest on an LA beach a few years ago for being drunk and disorderly. He now survives on benefits and begging,LA magazine reported.
In his day, Bill was a very different figure. He was obsessed with building up his gigantic arms, starting out with weights he made from cinder blocks, and eventually spending six hours a day working his biceps and triceps. While Schwarzenegger’s guns only ever reached a circumference of 22 inches (56cm), Bill hit a whopping 23.25 (59cm).
788541-76bccc2a-f932-11e4-9416-e181221d5c3b.jpg

Bill shows off his massive arms in Iron Man in the early 1970s. Source: Supplied

Everyone wanted his autograph, and he was surrounded by women. “We were like kings,” he said. He was at the centre of LA’s burgeoning bodybuilding scene, training at the famous Gold’s Gym and World Gym with Schwarzenegger, who gave him money, clothes and even a job on the film Last Action Hero.
Bill was known for his astonishing workouts, which included tricep curls with 180-kilogram barbells, 3000 push-ups and bicep curls with 100kg weights. He ate 20 eggs in the morning and 20 in the evening.
But the muscle man was broke, sleeping in his car and training for free at his gym, taking work as a nightclub bouncer and piano mover.
Despite a remarkable physical presence, he struggled to turn his hero status into the lasting legacy his compatriots did. He refused to take steroids, he wouldn’t practise posing and he never successfully made the typical career moves into personal training or opening a gym.
785283-74b5dc5a-f932-11e4-9416-e181221d5c3b.jpg

Bill outshone his then-compatriot Arnold Schwarzenegger. Source: Supplied

After Joe Gold, his mentor and founder of the well-known gym, died in 2004, Bill lost his way completely. He started drinking, and didn’t stop. Now he lives at a boarding house and hangs out in Venice wearing fluorescent Speedos and posing shakily for photos.
A local store owner said on a bodybuilding forum that Bill regularly came into the shop asking for copies of his photo to hand out. When a YouTube video of the former strongman in his current toothless and semi-incoherent state went viral in 2010, fans called it “disturbing” and said it “killed them” to see what had happened to this star of bodybuilding’s golden era.
An article from Eric’s Gym in 1975, when Bill was 28, illustrates their idol’s immense promise and just how far he has fallen short of the hype. “Bill’s development is heartening to those who refuse to take steroids,” read the story. “He has preferred to be cautious, and has proved you can get ultimate muscle mass and cuts without it.
“One could easily foresee records falling if he cared to convert his great potential for muscle building into powerlifting ... He wouldn’t mind winning Mr. America.
“He’s due to find his niche in the world of muscle. He’s got the look of a legend. It’s a timeless quality. After all, how many guys got arms that big?”

[h=3]Germany: See the best male physiques in Europe on show at FIBO[/h]

external

There is a full story on him and a vid, in a nutshell he lost his marbles, has mental issues.

most homeless do

LA seem to be the place they all gravitate to.
have never seen more homeless with mental problems than LA, especially around Hollywood, it's like they can't let go of a failed dream of getting their star on the boulevard and eventually lost touch with reality, but that's just my opinion, I'm no Zygmund Freud

LA seem to be the place they all gravitate to.
have never seen more homeless with mental problems than LA, especially around Hollywood, it's like they can't let go of a failed dream of getting their star on the boulevard and eventually lost touch with reality, but that's just my opinion, I'm no Zygmund Freud

yeh tons of homeless. its also a good place to be homeless, people migrate there to be homeless. great weather!

Homeless people in LA are really aggressive with their panhandling.
SF and Honolulu seem to have comparable numbers but it feels totally different

yeh tons of homeless. its also a good place to be homeless, people migrate there to be homeless. great weather!

Didnt know thy were the migrating type, but then again, if you're homeless in Alaska or Siberia, you'd be like "fukdat" I'm moving somewhere warmer.

Homeless people in LA are really aggressive with their panhandling.
SF and Honolulu seem to have comparable numbers but it feels totally different
LOL I remember when I was in LA years ago I gave this hobo some coins because he asked "care to give some change?". He took one look at it and threw it back and me!

And in Northbridge (Perth) some goon asked me once "can I plz have $19.50?". I laughed and said is that how much a goon bag cost these days and walked off. 15 secs later he started hurling abuse at me!

LOL I remember when I was in LA years ago I gave this hobo some coins because he asked "care to give some change?". He took one look at it and threw it back and me!

And in Northbridge (Perth) some goon asked me once "can I plz have $19.50?". I laughed and said is that how much a goon bag cost these days and walked off. 15 secs later he started hurling abuse at me!

Had this kunce at the old location ask me for a dollar every time i went to get lunch, every single time and he does it to everyone, he's a pro, so I got sick of it, pointed my finger in his face, gave him $20 and said "I'm paid up for life now kunce, take the 20 and never ask me again, if you do I'll bust your fuken head open with my laptop bag, got it?" He agreed with a massive smille and nodded like one of those dog statues they used to put on rear parcle shelves in cars, with the head on a spring.
Next day I go to buy lunch, walk past this kunce and hear "excuse me, can you spare a dollar?"..................... :mad: unbelieveble :confused: I fuken lost it.