• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
So we have been dis-cussing how useful the eccentric part of the rep is for most exercises. By most I mean exercises that primarily move single joints and definitely some compounds too.

On the other side of the coin I am sure there are a few exercises where slow eccentrics would not be beneficial for strength gains. Or it could be that the dangers outweigh the benefits from using this technique. The first two that come to my mind are Deadlifts and Pendlay Rows. Do you agree with this? Discus.

For strength training, it just detracts from the potential concentric reps that can be achieved, which Ive found to be more valuable for that purpose

But for hypertrophy I'd enjoyed it on moderate loads.
Try doing them with a lat flare and slow neg.... Sheeeeit son

[MENTION=9189]canned tuna[/MENTION]; Hmm based on that description I wonder whether RDL might be a better option (for hypertrophy). Moderate loads, slow controlled descent to the max stretch reflex, then boom right back up again.

But yeah I hit the wall pretty quick when I lower conventional DL's slowly. But now that there's bumper plates at this new gym I go to.. I be dropping that bar like a mofo!

I'm not so convinced they're all that bad. I've been doing negatives on rows and stiff leg deads. And all regular deadlifts up to around 230 before it starts becoming a controlled drop.
Check Odell Manual's deadlift form...

So we have been dis-cussing how useful the eccentric part of the rep is for most exercises. By most I mean exercises that primarily move single joints and definitely some compounds too.

On the other side of the coin I am sure there are a few exercises where slow eccentrics would not be beneficial for strength gains. Or it could be that the dangers outweigh the benefits from using this technique. The first two that come to my mind are Deadlifts and Pendlay Rows. Do you agree with this? Discus.

You going to be a poweranger now?

I'm slow.......and at times can be eccentric, not like an artist eccentric, but at times come close, why would you just drop me?

Well, if I just drop the babies I'd get a perma-ban from the gym lulz. Now that I think about it, it's all about controlled dropping, which to me is kinda like when you're edging and edging and then backing and holding off (start picturing granny knickers, or size 16 lululemon) avoiding and delaying the kaboom stage being the aim because you wanna last just that little bit looonger..

slow negative deadlifts are fine
pendlay rows no
but there are loads of other rows that are better for that

so whatever
case closed

Appeal = ON madafuckas.

How about hang cleans then, slow eccentrics there too? :D

Srs, slow eccentric deadlifts maybe appropriate when doing partial variations, not sure about them in CONVENTIONAL though.

Because it's impossible to do an eccentric on a pendlay row lol
Do you do an eccentric when you snatch too?

"In*eccentric contraction, the force generated is insufficient to overcome the external load on the muscle and the muscle fibers lengthen as they contract. An eccentric contraction is used as a means of decelerating a body part or object, or lowering a load gently rather than letting it drop."

How is that physically impossible?

Concentric (positive) = pushing against gravity
Eccentric (negative) = with gravity

You can't avoid it, all movements have both, except swimming.

The fundamental difference between the to movements is friction within the muscle, a lack thereof, the negative is more productive in terms of joint health than the other.

You don't lower gently, you lower under control.