• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

morgan000

Where have all the traditional gyms gone?

my gym has pretty much screwed all its members and sold out to a cross fit gym. It seems cross fit is the trend now because I do a Google search and there are 4 or 5 in my area when there wasn't any a couple of years ago. They are not cheap either

Does anyone train at a cross fit gym? Is it any good? Is it worth the money?

The only traditional gym in my area is anytime fitness which I have been a member of before and liked it but it's quite busy because a lot of ppl just want the traditional gym and not crossfit.

Just wondering what everyone thinks? I'm yet to make up my mind to wait n see the new gym to give it a try or go to anytime fitness?

Surely there are other 24/7 gyms besides Anytime in your area that is stock standard cardio and free weights? Not every gym does xfit.

But I would've thought it was a bonus to join a gym that does xfit due to the abundance of fit chicks in tight lululemons wrestling with weights to perv on. Isn't that alone worth the extra money?

As long as the essentials are there, a gym is a gym.

thirty years ago gyms where very dirty places

I have been training at home due to the closure but I have limited equipment, I don't have a rack, I have dumbells and a bench. It's also pretty cold at nights so I would rather go to a gym.

Crossfit is popular because it's "easy". It fits the image that people have of what a gym does. Compared to normal free weight training, machines and crossfit wods are easier to do and look like more fun or entertainment.

Lets face it. 90% of people who go to a gym do it for ego reasons, not to train for a sport or to be a athlete. They are motivated by guilt and ego, which is why they tend to give it up once they realise it takes consistent effort.

Beware the popular. Beware the easy.

For example. Who are the most popular people on the planet?

What are the most popular types of food?

What are the most popular types of entertainment?

What are the most popular life goals?

In general, the fatuous, shallow, vain and brainless are favoured by the masses, along with easy food, easy living and the pursuit of comfort. The capitalists just love it. People live their lives consuming, while those that fall off the edges and become disillusioned become suicide bombers.

So, whatchawanna do today? Obsess about the new royal baby? Follow Kim Kardashian on Twitter? Eat a pizza while flagellating yourself during The Biggest Loser? Or go do some deadlifts that strike fear into your heart.

Agreed. It's all about hashtags, lorna jane tights and clips of fat people walking up stairs in slow motion.

Agreed. It's all about hashtags, lorna jane tights and clips of fat people walking up stairs in slow motion.

I don't believe you. Please post pics/vid of Lorna Jane tights and walking up stairs slow mo. For evidence purposes. And reasons.

Agreed with above.

I know its a bit off topic here and I'm a 'consumer' myself; but I look at what is 'popular' and accepted and I'm often left shaking my head.

Have you seen who wore what and the latest music video? Bitch please. Troubling thing is, this chit is making 'headline' news now. Really? Biebers latest phucking video on the morning news?

Pretty sure most of the developed world live their lives with blinkers on. Perhaps because it is just easier that way.

There are pretty much 3 types of people who goto the gym the way I see things.

1. the people who actually want to be there, want results, and are willing to learn and put in the hard yards and are in for the long hall

2. people who want to be seen to be going to the gym and don't really know what they are doing or care if they get results as long as other know they goto the gym coz its the cool thing to do.

and 3. people who have no idea about what they are doing but are pretty keen and want everything spoon fed to them in the way of workouts etc etc, this is where crossfit and classes are perfect, people turn up put in the required effort for themselves, don't have to think about what they are doing they just do as they are told and leave.

Unfortunately, gyms very rarely cater for the people in category A as there is no money in it for them, they turn up use the equipment, don't buy the personal training, don't pay extra for there supps they sell, etc etc

Unfortunately, gyms very rarely cater for the people in category A as there is no money in it for them, they turn up use the equipment, don't buy the personal training, don't pay extra for there supps they sell, etc etc

Yep. Gyms would go broke if everyone turned up. They rely on people signing a 12 month contract and not showing up, unless its for a class they have to pay for or a PT paid session.

Commercial gyms that has something for everybody is all the rage now. No more dungeons that smell of chalk and sweat. I must say though that the battle rope station is the worst because they take up the most space but hardly everyone uses it (and anyone that does at my gym looks like a tard doing 'em even if they are wearing the latest lorna jane)

How many of the Type 1 people do you normally see in a commy gym [MENTION=8606]Neddysmith[/MENTION];? About 1 in 10 if that? Which is kinda sad because that means 90% peeps are pissing money down the drain lol!

Yeah I was going to put a % next to each category which I thought, so I would say

1 - maybe 10% if that
2 - round 50 - 60%
3 - makes up the rest of 30 - 40%

Yep. Gyms would go broke if everyone turned up. They rely on people signing a 12 month contract and not showing up, unless its for a class they have to pay for or a PT paid session.

I believe that is the usual business model with commercial gyms?