• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
whaaa :(

Habaneros are full of flowers but they dry up and fall off.

Meanwhile stupid thai chilli is full of chillies .... my world is ending.

why for you do this to me, habs???

Hey [MENTION=8557]chocchillimango[/MENTION], flower drop can be pretty common, particularly with the first lot that come through, it is generally from lack of pollination due to not allot of pollinating insects in your yard, by the time the second lot come through the insects should have found your crop and everything should be dandy.
There are other reasons it happens but most commonly it is lack of pollination. You can manually pollinate with small art brushes or cotton tips etc, even giving your plants a bit of a shake everyday can help the process along.

Should also add that chilli plants are for the most part self pollinating but it can be common for the male and female parts of the flowers to not develop properly which inhibits the self pollination process so they need insects or human intervention to help out with pollination.

Hey @chocchillimango, flower drop can be pretty common, particularly with the first lot that come through, it is generally from lack of pollination due to not allot of pollinating insects in your yard, by the time the second lot come through the insects should have found your crop and everything should be dandy.
There are other reasons it happens but most commonly it is lack of pollination. You can manually pollinate with small art brushes or cotton tips etc, even giving your plants a bit of a shake everyday can help the process along.

yes i think pollination is the issue. having same issue with tomatoes but they are now starting to come good.
hopefully the habs will too. it's happened before.

Yeah same here, usually the first wave of flowers might drop then all is good after that.

I picked up some more pot n all plants from Masters today, Carolina reaper, butch t, jays red and cardi yellow scorpion.
Had a look on the pot n all fb page last night and notice they post up there latest shipment list and detail what has been sent to each store in each state, a nice range of plants were just sent to a few stores down your way in Vic.

Nice might have to check that out, although yesterday just reported my seedling I have grown in the mini hothouse into pots so hoping for some good growth from them now the weather is getting better an the plants getting bigger

Nice might have to check that out, although yesterday just reported my seedling I have grown in the mini hothouse into pots so hoping for some good growth from them now the weather is getting better an the plants getting bigger

Yeah I saw your list there, ghosts/jolokia and bhuts are nice pods and some get huge, some plants get big and high yielding.....hope they do well for you, definitely the time of year for them now. Get them reapers into some 40 cm pots soon, or the big flexi buckets from Bunnings make good cheap ($4.50) pots, lots of colours to choose from too. Start sun training them and they'll be producing before you know it. Good luck with them all.

Can't wait to see some reaper pods, hope I get some big gnarly tails on my pods. I have some chocolate and yellow reapers coming next week too which will be cool.
We've had steady light rain up here for the last couple of days, the plants are loving it, you can literally see them grow over night, it's amazing how much difference the rain makes over tap water.
I've been harvesting pods every few days for weeks now and my favourite way to eat them lately has been to cut them in half and stuff them with some philli cheese and wash em down with a cold one. Have dried many pods and made flakes and powder, just about every meal I eat has chilli of some description in or on it.
Had some bubblegums ripen last week, coolest looking pods with the colour bleeding up the stem, so hot though, only had a slither of a pod and near burnt my face off.....nasty heat, they have now been dried for powder/flakes, too hot to eat on their own.

So harvested my Thai pods and between the two smaller plants i have so far got about 60 pods, used soem in a curry laksa the other night but they have hardly any heat in them to one fo the same plants i had the other year, pretty sure these plants are seeds from them.

Is there anything you can do to get more heat into them or is dependent on the plant?

Hey [MENTION=8606]Neddysmith[/MENTION], I think sometimes you just get duds in the heat department, my jalapeno's (macho nacho variety) which are supposed to be the hottest of the jalapeno's hardly had any heat at all from the first wave of pods I got last year but the second lot that I've been harvesting over the last 3 or so weeks have been pretty good as far as jalapeno's go...
Some people swear by stressing their plants while pods are ripening to bring out the heat and flavour, I haven't found a need for it personally, once you are growing habs and above heat isn't much of an issue..

Yeah cheers. i have been doing a bit of reading and from everything i have read i think i was over watering all my chillis, bascially watering the plants every day and keeping the soil a little too damp, so while the plants themselves were growing great guns and producing a heap of fruit the heat just wasnt there, so i have backed off the watering now and look moreso at the plants themselves for signs of when they need watering rather than watering them blindly to keep them growing, and especially now they are a a good size, they dont need to grow as much just produce nice fruit.

You hear theories that meeting then dry out between waterings and maximum sunlight helps the heat, but it could just be chilli bro science. One way to find out.

I finally have habaneros!!!!!!

Took a few goes with the flowers not pollinating properly this year. First time that's happened. Not enough bees around which is odd considering my neighbour has a hive :(

But have heaps of thai chillies, extra hot cayennes and now habaneros are coming good.
Might even include some mango chilli easter eggs this year :O

Took a few goes with the flowers not pollinating properly this year. First time that's happened. Not enough bees around which is odd considering my neighbour has a hive :(

But have heaps of thai chillies, extra hot cayennes and now habaneros are coming good.

Do you get many of the native bees?

Sounds great, i have got a heaps of Thai chillis but they arent hot at all, also started to gets some orange habs coming through off a plant my mate gave me, so thatll be great. and my carolina reaper plant is growing nicely, but dont think ill be getting any fruit on it this year, so hping to keep it through winter and growing some next year.

With the habs, my mate was getting a heap of flowers, but they wouldnt pollinate, then they would turn yellowish and drop off, he found somewhere that most likely the reason was the soil wasnt right and he should add potash to the soil, which he did and then they all started growing, so maybe this is something to look into if your habs arent pollinating, they could possibly be pollinating but there is something wrong with the soil preventing them growing.

Sounds great, i have got a heaps of Thai chillis but they arent hot at all, also started to gets some orange habs coming through off a plant my mate gave me, so thatll be great. and my carolina reaper plant is growing nicely, but dont think ill be getting any fruit on it this year, so hping to keep it through winter and growing some next year.

With the habs, my mate was getting a heap of flowers, but they wouldnt pollinate, then they would turn yellowish and drop off, he found somewhere that most likely the reason was the soil wasnt right and he should add potash to the soil, which he did and then they all started growing, so maybe this is something to look into if your habs arent pollinating, they could possibly be pollinating but there is something wrong with the soil preventing them growing.

now that is something I had not considered! will give that a try, thank you.

I have both orange (massive) and red (smaller) ones starting to ripen so let's see how they go.
My cayennes took me by surprise at the intensity of heat and flavour this year.
the thai ones don't have a lot of flavour but they usually don't. They're really hot though so maybe the conditions are good here for it.