• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
What's the consensus with SLDL ROM; once you go past 45-50 degrees does the glute/ham emphasis all but diminish and move to lower back? Do people think it's safer to use higher weight and keep the ROM to 45-50 deg?

Depends on the purpose of doing the exercise and what you're trying to get out of it.

Prefer to go to ground with each rep, which is less difficult with sub maximal weight.

i'd say it depends on the form and weight. when i do it, its 100% in the hammies, theres very little lower back... but as you increase the weight, it very much involves the lower back.

even feels better when you go beyond the ground with manageable weight, ie on a step thingy, or use tiny plates.

working the muscle isn't all about weight

SLDL are a great exercise in their own right. Don't really bother thinking about what it targets.

Doing them with real light weight is a waste of time in my opinion.

Depends on what I'm doing. But I sometimes stand on a 3" block, and travel almost to the ground. I always hold it for a second or two above the ground.

What's the consensus with SLDL ROM; once you go past 45-50 degrees does the glute/ham emphasis all but diminish and move to lower back? Do people think it's safer to use higher weight and keep the ROM to 45-50 deg?

this is generally an exercise that strengthens the lower back.

originally the exercise was performed with straight legs and the bar travels down past the instep while standing on blocks.
starting with a light weight higher reps 15-20 rep's to pump the lower back.

I started with a slight bend, I also started with a light weight, but heavy enough to force full extension, over time my strength improved to the point where I could straighten my legs.
12 reps using 120kg.

recent testing on the Medx lumbar machine however exposed how weak my lumbar was, I've since had no lower back issues.

SLDL are a great exercise in their own right. Don't really bother thinking about what it targets.

Doing them with real light weight is a waste of time in my opinion.

way to take something and over exagerate

oh wait for once someone did that more than even you!!!!

learn to read

edit did i say light weight or did i say not too heavy
keep doin what ur doin tho and keep making zero progress

Last edited:
way to take something and over exagerate

oh wait for once someone did that more than even you!!!!

learn to read

edit did i say light weight or did i say not too heavy
keep doin what ur doin tho and keep making zero progress

Voices in your head talking to you again.

SLDL are great at the end of a hamstring workout to really stretch them out. Guaranteed you'll feel the exercise much more. I always do them with my toes raised on a plate or plank. Then you don't need to go as low. If you want to feel it even more, point your toes inwards slightly.