• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

hugoti

I've come across an article talking about hidden sugars in low fat foods. I like to eat low fat Greek yogurt for breakfast. So in the context of body building what is better low fat high sugar vs high fat low sugar foods?

Cheers

Depends completely on your goals at the time and how your body reacts. Just use the nutritional panel to make an informed choice. It's not often an either-or scenario. Chobani plain low or 2% greek yoghurt is low fat, low carb, high protein.

When you look at a product, when it says low fat then its usually compensated for with high sugar. If its low sugar, then its higher in fat. It has to fit in with your macro goals when you choose either one.

If its something that you normally don't eat, ie a treat, then go full fat full sugar full everything with the works. Because you got to have cake and eat it too sometimes, yo.

I've come across an article talking about hidden sugars in low fat foods. I like to eat low fat Greek yogurt for breakfast. So in the context of body building what is better low fat high sugar vs high fat low sugar foods?

Cheers

One isn't better than the other, it depends on the situation to which is preferable.

My body looks better on a fat biased diet with minimal carbs, my cognitive function improves, but my acid reflux gets worse.

high sugar low fat I get fat, and feel tired and lazy.

i try to find a happy balance point

My body looks better on a fat biased diet with minimal carbs, my cognitive function improves, but my acid reflux gets worse.

high sugar low fat I get fat, and feel tired and lazy.

i try to find a happy balance point

What about relatively higher carbs (use other carb sources other than sugar), say a P:30 C:50 F:20 split? Have you tried that before? If not what is your happy balance point as of now?

Yeah. Very low carb makes me feel borderline depressed and weak as shit.

Why anyone would want to avoid carbs has got me fucked.

I get hungry real quick and I run out of steam after 60mins at the gym if I train low carbs. Been there done that, forget it!

Pretty much what I'm going through now. It sucks, but it means your body is being fuelled by stored body fat. Just up the stims a bit to get you going.

What about relatively higher carbs (use other carb sources other than sugar), say a P:30 C:50 F:20 split? Have you tried that before? If not what is your happy balance point as of now?

Higher carbs the same.

i have gut issues, so the carbs feed the bad bacteria/ candida which leads to the brain fog.

in a perfect world I try and zero- low carbs from waking until dinner, then eat some complex carbs at dinner, then some simple carbs before bed to help spike insulin, helping tryptophan do its thing to help facilitate sleep.

My my diet is more a product of treating and or preventing issues (gut and sleep) than anything else.

So where is the body getting fuel from Einstein? I suppose the fat disappearing from my body is also a placebo effect?

You can be eating surplus calories on low carb, still have that low carb groggy feeling and gaining fat rather than losing it.

Of course. But going low carb usually meals you're trying to cut calories so your body uses an alternative fuel source.

Of course. But going low carb usually meals you're trying to cut calories so your body uses an alternative fuel source.
except for the low carb zealots who don't believe that energy balance matters :) Yes they are out there haha.

OP: depends what you ate for the rest of the day. e.g. if you ate nothing but almonds and chicken you would definitely be better off with the low fat high sugar, if you ate nothing but potatoes and chicken you would be better off with the low sugar high fat. In reality, you are probably going to fall somewhere in between these two extremes and because of this I'd pick the one that fits you CALORIE target and not worry about the minutia that makes SFA difference :)

Higher carbs the same.

i have gut issues, so the carbs feed the bad bacteria/ candida which leads to the brain fog.

in a perfect world I try and zero- low carbs from waking until dinner, then eat some complex carbs at dinner, then some simple carbs before bed to help spike insulin, helping tryptophan do its thing to help facilitate sleep.

My my diet is more a product of treating and or preventing issues (gut and sleep) than anything else.

Man, I imagine you would've tried everything under the sun to get rid of this candida shit. But I know we need some, but as in all things too much of it becomes a major issue.

Not as simple as going on a antifungal diet/colonics/urea fast aye? I think one of my folks got it too, for the past 2 years same symptoms as you described.