• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Well using your own figures & some simple math, you stated that 10% of one's intake would equate to 100 grams of CHO. That's 400 calories. So at 10%, that's a 4000 calorie intake. And you used the same figures for your protein intake recommendation. Therefore 400 calories = 100 grams of protein.

Alternatively you suggest that 1g of PRO/kg of TBW is sufficient. And I wouldn't imagine there are too many 150kg athletes here on the boards, so I'm not sure how anyone was supposed to come to the conclusion of 150g/day from what you posted. Truth be told I'd be quite surprised if there are a great deal of people posting here that would even weigh 100kg who are in decent shape, so that would see most consuming even less than 100g/day if they were to follow your recommendations.

Not recommendations..., read what I write thanks.

So do what works for you is the general consensus here? Lol

I'm one of those ones who doesn't need much carbs, but I have mates who are different. I have more energy, less reflux/acid and more awake.
My split is
45% Fat (mostly in morning)
35% Protein ( all through the day)
20% Carbs ( at night)

I follow this 90% of the time, then have a day to eat pizza and ice cream till it's comin out my ears :)

Fadi is simply sharing what works for him.

he has never pushed his point, but has always in my view provided a good explanation of why HE does what he does.

different strokes for different folks.

Thanks for the info [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]; Glad to see you have found a diet that works for you.

Question regarding leptin. Why would you not want it to be increased? I take it you are trying to gain weight at the moment then?

Fadi is simply sharing what works for him.

he has never pushed his point, but has always in my view provided a good explanation of why HE does what he does.

different strokes for different folks.

Just seemed odd to me that what he was suggesting protein wise was far below optimal.

Just seemed odd to me that what he was suggesting protein wise was far below optimal.
No-one really knows what's optimal and in the scheme of things who cares.
Some say 2g per kilo others say 1g while someone else say .8g, there is no definitive answer on this.
Fadi was stating what HE does, not what you or anyone else should do.

No-one really knows what's optimal and in the scheme of things who cares.
Some say 2g per kilo others say 1g while someone else say .8g, there is no definitive answer on this.
Fadi was stating what HE does, not what you or anyone else should do.

TBH I can't see the harm in questioning what some one writes.

And while the upper limit for protein requirements may not be truly established, we both know that 1g/kg of bodyweight does not cut it.

Also, he did say this -

it is another option offered to you should you wish to give it a go.

And while the upper limit for protein requirements may not be truly established, we both know that 1g/kg of bodyweight does not cut it.

-
The only thing that I know for certain is that when I lift weights my muscles get bigger, everything else is heresay

Well, everything that is written about diet and exercise is based on personal experience.

If you think you're right you're wrong.

The only thing that I know for certain is that when I lift weights my muscles get bigger, everything else is heresay

Well you've been lifting for a long time so you'd be a huge Kent then.
I know for certain mine do not get bigger all the time for reasons unknown to me.. Sometimes I do know why sometimes I have NFI why.

Thanks for the info @Fadi; Glad to seeyou have found a diet that works for you.

Question regarding leptin. Why would you not want it to be increased? I take ityou are trying to gain weight at the moment then?

No, not trying to gain weight at all brother. As for leptin's level, I'm not trying to keep it low, as much as I am aiming to keep it in check/controlled, the way I'm keeping my insulin level under control.

Both insulin and leptin are regulated by each and every meal that you eat, in other words, what you eat has a direct effect on these two extremely powerful hormones. When you eat a meal high in carbohydrates, you create spikes in both of these hormones. Hey Fadi, so what, big deal mate! The big, (make that huge) deal, is that it is these spikes in insulin, and spikes in leptin, that cause insulin and leptin resistance!

Subjecting your body day in and day out to these spikes would (raise the probability) of eventually seeing you arrive at a level of
cell miscommunication.

I have written two articles here on leptin, one specifically dealing with bodybuilding. In it, I mentioned how a bodybuilder who often relies on bulking up, to add some muscle size, ends up with a slower metabolism in the long run. Why is that? It's because his leptin resistance gradually increases to such a level, that now his own metabolism level, (which is regulated by leptin) shifts down from its original set point. In English, this means he makes it harder and harder for himself to lose fat as time goes by.

This is a very deep, not to mention a subject that I find extremely fascinating. I'll leave you with this thought (even though they say if you want someone to hate you, make them think), please don't hate me, even though I'd like you to think (and preferably outside the box).

Have you noticed that with all the diets that are prevalent today, and with all the low to no-fat foods available in our supermarkets, obesity and being overweight have been increasing, and losing fat has become harder than ever before (despite the low or no fat diets)? Some would have you believe (as we have always believed), that a
calorie in is a calorie out, and that what we need to focus on is how many calories we take in and then exercise enough that we don’t put on excess weight.

After what I have shared with you here about the way leptin and insulin are affected by our diet, and as a result, how our metabolism has been forced into a corner by down regulating itself, would you blame that fat person for being fat, and tell him or her to simply eat less and exercise more and she’ll be right mate, or would you go beyond that old dogma and begin a new look at hormone signaling? It’s one thing to have plenty of insulin and leptin being manufactured, but it’s absolutely of no use if our cells cannot recognise their presence. So here you have Charlie busting his butt exercising and keeping a low calorie, and getting absolutely nowhere fast. Why? Because he’s fighting an uphill battle, where his metabolism simply won’t budge, and the lower the calories go, the worse it becomes for Charlie … that’s if he’s still has any energy or motivation left to get off the couch and do something.

Last edited:
You could be right, But the diagnosis wasn't made at the naturopath level (I was quite critical of their advice without hard evidence) i am not convinced anyone has been able to 100% diagnose what is my core issue causing sleep ang gut issues, but from the information I have read about the overgrowth converting ferment able carbs into a form of alcohol and that producing brain fog, and my experience on low carb vs high I can see that in my own body. Re the SB supplementation it certainly helps "firm" my bowel movements, and also referencing stuff I have read it is due to it competing against the overgrowth.

my GP did stool, blood, urine and saliva testing in making the diagnosis.

I have aver stopped chasing my tail with both issues, as I have invested a lot of money, and have to a point accepted my challenges, but I clearly can see a difference with keto vs normal diet, but I struggle with compliance as I crave carbs, dairy upsets my gut and I get worse acid reflux with higher fat (mainly from the likes of MCT oil, coconut oil, caprilic acid etc)

have you had a sleep study yet?? dunno why that would be last in the list...
reflux, shitty sleeping, usually points to sleep apnoea imo.

but what would i know

Last edited:
have you had a sleep study yet?? dunno why that would be last in the list...
reflux, shitty sleeping, usually points to sleep apnoea imo.

but what would i know

I know have discussed this before, and my answer remains the same.

my issue has always been falling asleep, not staying asleep once I have finally drifted off.

my body and brain become hyper wired of a night time, and I can't slow my brain/ thoughts sufficiently enough to drift off. My cortisol has a reverse peak pattern.

Reflux? I have had it since I was a child, my mother has it, and a initial investigation revealed a Haitial hernia, with potentially loose oesophageal sphincter.

Whilst i may may be missing a critical link that you can see, and I can't, I can't see the direct correlation between my symptoms and sleep apnea. I could being ignorant or stubborn, but it is certainly not intentional. My reasons are based on not seeing that direct connection and the sleep study being over $1000.

I understand and that you set up the machines for sleep studies, and I respect you have some knowledge re sleep. If I was actually drifting off, but,waking constantly, or waking feeling like I hadn't slept, I would agree with you 100%.

as we fall asleep, theres a muscle drive that takes over that stops our throat closing.
people who often say they have problems falling asleep can be this system not correctly working and causes you to wake up and breath, hence giving the perception of awakefullness.

the reason our mind is "hyper" when our head hits the pillow is because when we are asleep, we def do not turn off, we process what has happened that day, and sort what is important and what isn't... some of us (me included) it can happen before we switch off and are actually asleep.

getting a sleep study is 100% free if you don't tell them you have private health insurance, you may just have to wait a few months (already waited a few months so a few more is no biggy in the long picture of life).

it wasn't until i set myself up and did multiple tests i realised how very little we know about our own sleep, i like to call it "perception" of sleep because thats all it is, when you are asleep you don't know it, you only remember the bits where your awake. and trust me, once you have legit eeg recordings, you feel a bit like a fool because it tells the WHOLE story, not just your memory of it.

ive had people with severe problems in in the morning say they had a great sleep, its stupidly common... fact is, we have absolutely no idea how we sleep, as we are unconscious.

hope this helps

And I am aware that a person's carb requirements gradually reduces with age.
Maybe, maybe not. There are so many things we attribute to getting older or old age in general, however that may perhaps be the easier way out. For example, we don't lose muscles because we get older, we get older because we lose muscles. And everyone on this forum knows the best and #1 way to lose muscles ...simply don't use them!

Similarly with the carbohydrate intake as one gets older. As I have stated in post #54, our metabolism does not slow down because we've gotten older, it slows down because we've abused its chief controller leptin, by our constant intake of high carbs/high protein, leading to spikes and yo-yoing effects in both our insulin and leptin levels.

We've all heard people say that our metabolism slows down as we get older. I disagree. Our metabolism slows down, and its set point becomes lower and lower as we continue to indulge ourselves in eating in a way that would affect our blood sugar/insulin levels, as well as our leptin levels. We get to a stage where even though the hormone in question is present in full, our cells don't see it, as they have become desensitised to its constant presence. We need to get back to making our cells sensitive to these hormones in order for that recognition to occur, and we can not do that if we maintain the statu quo.

Both insulin and leptin are regulated by each and every meal that you eat, in other words, what you eat has a direct effect on these two extremely powerful hormones. When you eat a meal high in carbohydrates, you create spikes in both of these hormones. Hey Fadi, so what, big deal mate! The big, (make that huge) deal, is that it is these spikes in insulin, and spikes in leptin, that cause insulin and leptin resistance!

Hormonal response to food is something rarely discussed, but I think it will be a big topic in the next 5-10 years. I think it's just too much for the average dieter to wrap their minds around with all the other (mis) information out there.

Fadi, based on your macro breakdown recommendation, would it change for someone trying to gain muscle, lose fat or just maintain?

Maybe, maybe not. There are so many things we attribute to getting older or old age in general, however that may perhaps be the easier way out. For example, we don't lose muscles because we get older, we get older because we lose muscles. And everyone on this forum knows the best and #1 way to lose muscles ...simply don't use them!

Similarly with the carbohydrate intake as one gets older. As I have stated in post #54, our metabolism does not slow down because we've gotten older, it slows down because we've abused its chief controller leptin, by our constant intake of high carbs/high protein, leading to spikes and yo-yoing effects in both our insulin and leptin levels.

We've all heard people say that our metabolism slows down as we get older. I disagree. Our metabolism slows down, and its set point becomes lower and lower as we continue to indulge ourselves in eating in a way that would affect our blood sugar/insulin levels, as well as our leptin levels. We get to a stage where even though the hormone in question is present in full, our cells don't see it, as they have become desensitised to its constant presence. We need to get back to making our cells sensitive to these hormones in order for that recognition to occur, and we can not do that if we maintain the statu quo.

Simple answer is we burn less calories as we get older. Most people do less physical activity or physical work as they age therefore less Calories burnt. Then from that lower physical activity we loose muscle so even less calories burnt.