• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
@chocchillimango I know you addressed this in your book, but can I just clarify how much of a difference flavoured vs unflavoured WPI make to the finished product when it comes to baking? Sure, flavoured protein contains spakfiller and flavouring systems, so if I see a recipe that asks for unflavoured protein and I am using BN's Vanilla WPI, will the texture be substantially different? If so, is there a way to compensate for this, eg add % surplus more of the flavoured WPI to account for fillers?

P.s Heck yeah, I'll buy some of ya chocs, if you ship to WA lol!

@chocchillimango I know you addressed this in your book, but can I just clarify how much of a difference flavoured vs unflavoured WPI make to the finished product when it comes to baking? Sure, flavoured protein contains spakfiller and flavouring systems, so if I see a recipe that asks for unflavoured protein and I am using BN's Vanilla WPI, will the texture be substantially different? If so, is there a way to compensate for this, eg add % surplus more of the flavoured WPI to account for fillers?

P.s Heck yeah, I'll buy some of ya chocs, if you ship to WA lol!

No, the texture won't be different (assuming you use the same type of powder).

The spakfillers are often gums/emulsifiers and sweetener.
The emulsifiers and gums are actually OK in whey powders because they help bind batters for gluten free stuff (so subbing powders for some of flour means this is a bonus).
The sweeteners mean you have to adjust the amount of sugar or sweetener you add in the recipe. How much will depend on the sweetness of the powder. They vary quite a bit between brands and flavours.

Mostly, I say in the book is that if you use a flavoured powder, make sure it fits the flavour profile of the recipe.
eg. if making the mojito doughnuts, it kinda misses the point if you us banana whey lol.
then again, if you want to make the doughnuts, but instead of mojito you want banana maple, then you just omit flavourings and add in your own (and then banana whey goes gangbusters).

the texture and pass/fail thing comes in when people try to substitute different powders. In some instances it can work but they all act very differently in cooking and the texture changes quite dramatically. I get asked from stupid paleotards if they can sub almond meal for everything. Errr no, not always.

I don't usually ship chocolates but have had some success in doing it over Easter (even to WA!) so may just do that. I worry they get messed around in transit and I love my perfect shiny beautiful chocolates to not get messed with lol