• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
I'm hearing hyper sets being thrown about at the gym lately but I don't believe anyone is actually executing them properly (can't rely on what I see at the commy gym I go to lol).

I am under the impression this simply means max effort work sets, such as jokers in a 5/3/1 routine. Is that correct?

And if so, for those that do 'em what rep range and rest period have you found works for you? Eg, triples followed by 1 min rest or something similar?

I couldnt find anything online on it, did they make it up?
From what you described sounds like a dropset to failure?

Never heard of them, would assume they are like "giant sets", aka a superset with more than just 2 movements

Never heard of them, would assume they are like "giant sets", aka a superset with more than just 2 movements

Would be thinking the same thing, and the only time I have done something like this I use lighter weight, higher weighs and slower movements.

So like today was doing shoulders and did

DB Lat raise into DB Front Raise into DB Reverse Flyes, I used a weight I could just do 10 reps, with no rest between movements others than to put one set of dbs down and pick up the other set.

Alrighty I just got back from the gym. I asked the PT sheila what she meant by getting her clients to do these so-called 'hyper sets'. Turns out she meant supersets lol. I could see she makes them do lunges, jump split squats and bicycle kicks b2b style. Glad to get that sorted then lol.

"Maximum effort" often means using loads over 85% of your 1 rep max
Yeah I think so too. Well of course you apply maximum effort to all your loads (treat light weights as though they are heavy and so on) but in terms of weight I reckon that's spot on. When you have to wait for over a minute before you are physically able to proceed to the next set.

Pffft new age PT's. Trying to rename the classics. Hope you bitch slapped her when you set her straight

And as per usual, you weren't wearing google glasses so you could share the footage were you? Nope! :(

No. Supersets are 2 or more sets done one after the other with no rest. Great way to increase intensity or to speed up a workout.

"Maximum effort" often means using loads over 85% of your 1 rep max
Perhaps that's what it often meant, but what it has often meant does not automatically make it right, or the only method to achieve "maximum effort". Would you agree?

In any case, what is the goal that this "maximum effort" is aiming to achieve? Or should we be asking: what is the goal that this "maximum effort" of using loads over 85% of your 1 rep max is aiming to achieve?

Last edited:
Perhaps that's what it often meant, but what it has often meant does not automatically make it right, or the only method to achieve "maximum effort". Would you agree?

In any case, what is the goal that this "maximum effort" is aiming to achieve? Or should we be asking: what is the goal that this "maximum effort" of using loads over 85% of your 1 rep max is aiming to achieve?

absolutely agree, using 85+ max is pure str not growth.

you can't do enough reps with enough focus to actually achieve growth.

people probably would laugh at my workouts, but i check the ego at the door and don't stop until its finished. vs others who read the paper, chat, slap eachother on the back for 10 mins between sets.

but i give 100% maximal effort. thats why my body changes quickly and others look the same time in time out.

edit: people getting too caught up in science bs, they don't realise the cascade of events that happen in the body when you push hard and fast. it can't be measured by science. who would they even use to do such a thing? who would pay for it? think about it. for eg, everyone thinks they push hard, right? but do they???

who can honestly say they have been sore from a leg workout for 14 days? probably 2%?

even within elite athlestes they are not created equally.

Last edited: