• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
If you're still sore 2 weeks later, that's because you've strained something. It's not doms. Surely even you can work that out CT?

You can still grow from 85% and higher, given enough VOLUME. It just takes longer.

Agreed also re 14 day DOMS. If you get that, you are either injured or you really need to increase the frequency of your leg training.

OP: I was wondering WTF a hyper set was!

I superset antagonistic muscle groups all the time for more efficiency in the gym e.g. chinups and pushups. I have recently just tried supersetting leg ext with leg press and a pre fatigue. My reasoning is that, the purpose of these exercises is to hopefully maintain strength and and size and I know that in the past going "heavy" on leg press alone is not good for me as I get light headed and had a couple of nose bleeds. So as I'm just trying to work the legs, I am now using the pre fatique method. Also, easier on the joints (and I have a hip issue). As currently not doing full powerlifting meets the 1rm side of things isn't overly important. And AFAIK, there are no leg press competitions haha.

Perhaps that's what it often meant, but what it has often meant does not automatically make it right, or the only method to achieve "maximum effort". Would you agree?

In any case, what is the goal that this "maximum effort" is aiming to achieve? Or should we be asking: what is the goal that this "maximum effort" of using loads over 85% of your 1 rep max is aiming to achieve?

I didn't say it was right or wrong

@Darkoz; weren't you asking about this a month or two ago?

I was thinking pontificating the idea that "blacking-out" can be a result of restricting blood flow in the case of the leg press, gripping too tight and the compression forces produced by sitting also restricting blood flow, resulting in an increase in blood pressure.

One disadvantage of the leg press (when moving heavy) is the extremely heavy force and low rep's applied on the hip as well as compression force on the spine, when you fatigue you also tend to lose spinal integrity very quickly.

I find with myself over many years of leg work that it is the hip that take a shot big time, as Ive gotten older i find my legs fatigue very quick.

Learn to identify and respect your limitations instead of always pushing them.
Anyone can learn how to push hard, but few bother to practice restraint.
Knowing when to accelerate and when to hit the brake are what will keep you in this game for the long haul.

Knowing when to accelerate and when to hit the brake are what will keep you in this game for the long haul.

So much this.

Am just learning this now... Pushing 40 and training with the mind-set of a 22 y/o has done me no good for a while now.

Went to see a guy at lunch for a rub and he said I was just a big ball of knots and I know my posture is up the chit.

.. Nek time I might splash out and pay someone for a sports massage as opposed to accosting randoms at the postshop... He was good but.

Sage advice, unfortunately such is the nature of youth that it is something most only learn with age, in hindsight, or worse involuntarily through injury.

I was thinking pontificating the idea that "blacking-out" can be a result of restricting blood flow in the case of the leg press, gripping too tight and the compression forces produced by sitting also restricting blood flow, resulting in an increase in blood pressure.

One disadvantage of the leg press (when moving heavy) is the extremely heavy force and low rep's applied on the hip as well as compression force on the spine, when you fatigue you also tend to lose spinal integrity very quickly.

I find with myself over many years of leg work that it is the hip that take a shot big time, as Ive gotten older i find my legs fatigue very quick.

Learn to identify and respect your limitations instead of always pushing them.
Anyone can learn how to push hard, but few bother to practice restraint.

I should of said, that my leg strength (when tested) is extremely high and fatigue takes a long time under load, my glutes and lumbar however fatigue quickly.
My erectors are very strong, but fatigue quickly.
That's just me and everyone is different.

Sage advice, unfortunately such is the nature of youth that it is something most only learn with age, in hindsight, or worse involuntarily through injury.

The goal is nebulous and the Progression versus recovery thing is ever changing.

So much this.

Am just learning this now... Pushing 40 and training with the mind-set of a 22 y/o has done me no good for a while now.

Went to see a guy at lunch for a rub and he said I was just a big ball of knots and I know my posture is up the chit.

.. Nek time I might splash out and pay someone for a sports massage as opposed to accosting randoms at the postshop... He was good but.
Have you got a foam roller at home? Or better still, a rumble roller. If not, I highly recommend them because at your age mobility work is just as important as the training itself. In fact it should be part of your training full stop.

A few simple stretches are the couch stretch and staying in a full squat position. They can even be done while watching the telly. It'll teach you to be more conscious of your posture rather than letting it all hang out.

Patience is key. It's not possible to undo years of bad posture through an hour of aggressive rubbing and rolling. More like months and months of consistent effort. The results are worth it but! As surely you can appreciate.

I highly recommend it teste. Got my first sports massage this week and will keep going back until the knots are gone and my posture has improved substantially. I spend a lot of time on the foam roller and with massage balls but they didn't do squat compared to an hour with someone that knows what they're doing.

It's not too exy if you've got it on your private health, get one a month or something.

I can bet my left nut that those with posture and mobility issues will be doing the same 2 or 3 exercises over and over again, you know, the so- called big three.
And those that only do split routines of 1 or 2 body parts exclusively.

I know in the past whenever I have done split routines for a lengthy period of time that I could barely bend down enough to tie my shoelaces.

Interdasting.

Yes, to the split routine, but I definitely train my entire body. No lightbulb here.

But yes, agree with you Jung and Whitey.

The guy I went to today at lunch is just the ticket. These health professionals are like any other service provider.

You got to shop around to find the right fit (i.e. someone who knows what they're doing)

After 1 x forty minute massage my left shoulder was sitting back to where it should be on its own.

Granted, its not a cure-all and at Jung said, it'll take persistence with stretches and am DEFINITELY going to get into a maintenance routine e.g. once a month type thing with this guy and just work out all the parts I cant hit myself.

tbh when I'm stretching right, I can perspire just as much as when I'm training hard. It's not fekkin' easy.