• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
So was training chest and biceps today and I experimented with a slightly lower gradient on my incline bench press.

Which begs the question. What's is the optimal angle for incline bench press?

My current gym has benches that sit at 28 and 38 degrees (measured on my iPhone this morning), I've tried both, 38 is harder ergo I don't lift as much, I do feel as though I hit the upper pecs better at the steeper gradient though.

Decisions, decisions.

I like 30 but with the bar quite high on the chest. Any higher angle and I feel the delts take over.

I'd bet that if you dropped flat bench altogether and only did incline bench you wouldn't be missing out on anything

So was training chest and biceps today and I experimented with a slightly lower gradient on my incline bench press.

My current gym has benches that sit at 28 and 38 degrees (measured on my iPhone this morning), I've tried both, 38 is harder ergo I don't lift as much, I do feel as though I hit the upper pecs better at the steeper gradient though.

Decisions, decisions.
Concur that 30 is pretty close to spot on.

Between 20-30 degrees. Anything above and you'll be working the shoulders more and it's harder to isolate the chest.

Decisions, decisions.
There is an optimal, however that optimal is only for you. As there is an optimal that suits my biomechanics, there is an optimal level that would serve you well also. For me, anything less than about 45 degrees and my shoulders would suffer, injury wise. To some, that throws more emphasis onto their deltoids than their chest muscles, which takes me back to my original point, and that is that our optimal degree is different based on our biomechanical differences.

Regardless of biomechanics though, we all obey the law of gravity and the line of most resistance.

Great answer Fadi.
there might be a slight emphasis on certain muscles depending on angle but it does come down to the structure of the shoulder.
the only way to really isolate the pec is with flys.

the press
the bench
the dip usually covers everything the angles at which you choose comes down to Bio-mechanics

Regardless of biomechanics though, we all obey the law of gravity and the line of most resistance.

True, but Function dictates design.

where the triceps is the prime mover, the hands are better placed in a palms-facing position, twisting the hands 90 degrees in a "barbell grip" twists the triceps tendons inside the elbow joint.

it might be fine for some, but for a PT most are not aware of this little factoid, like many others.

True, but Function dictates design.

where the triceps is the prime mover, the hands are better placed in a palms-facing position, twisting the hands 90 degrees in a "barbell grip" twists the triceps tendons inside the elbow joint.

it might be fine for some, but for a PT most are not aware of this little factoid, like many others.

So hammer grip DB bench?

So hammer grip DB bench?

What it all boils down to is over use, the degree of that is determined by the structure of the joints, to a lesser degree is the form that is practiced.

So its wise to try all forms of lifting to determine what's right for you.
its hard enough working that out for oneself let alone trying to tell someone else what to do.

One also needs to know that there are ten requirements for safe, *effective* lifting and that barbells only satisfy 3 of these.

the only way to really isolate the pec is with flys.
Fully agree as that's the only exercise I can effectively do for the chest without suffering shoulder joint pain.
So its wise to try all forms of lifting to determine what's right for you.
Only a fool would attempt arguing here.
its hard enough working that out for oneself let alone trying to tell someone else what to do.
Very true. Thank you Andy.

So summer is nearly here and since everyone knows it is suns out guns and that girls love the curls, what exercises and rep schemes do you guys use for major gun pump and massive gains?