• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Headley

BigRed Kunce
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/die...ed-out-for-pseudoscience-20150408-1mggil.html

Another day, another "health" blogger exposed.
American health blogger Vani Hari (aka "The Food Babe") has been called out for making pseudoscientific claims in an article written by California-based scientist Yvette d'Entremont.
D'Entremont, an analytical chemist who was inspired to start her own blog The Science Babe after discovering Hari, wrote extensively for Gawker about the problems with Hari's message.
The 2600 word article, bluntly titled "The Food Babe Blogger Is Full Of Sh*t", called Hari out on her aversion to chemicals, arguing that her campaign against Subway for putting azodicarbonamide (a chemical Hari - admittedly, accurately - told her followers was in yoga mats) has no scientific basis.

"As the science-minded among us understand, a substance can be used for more than one thing perfectly safely, and it doesn't mean that your bread is made of a yoga mat if it happens to contain azodicarbonamide, which is FDA-approved as a dough-softening agent," D'Entremont writes.
"It simply means your bread is composed of chemicals, much like everything else you eat."

Hari, 35, studied computer science, working as a management consultant before a trip to a hospital prompted her to re-evaluate her eating habits.
"I was a candy addict, drank soda, never ate green vegetables, frequented fast-food restaurants and ate an abundance of processed food," she writes on her website.
"My typical American diet landed me where that diet typically does, in a hospital. It was then, in the hospital bed more than 10 years ago, that I decided to make health my No. 1 priority."

D'Entremont, who has a bachelor's degree in chemistry and a master's in forensic science, argues that Hari's lack of training causes her to make inaccurate claims.
"So she quit her job as a consultant, attended Google University and transformed herself into an uncredentialed expert in everything she admittedly can't pronounce," she writes.

"Slap the catchy moniker "Food Babe" on top, throw in a couple of trend stories and some appearances on The Dr Oz Show, and we have the new organic media darling."

D'Entremont explained how any chemical can be toxic in a very high quantity, but that the foods Hari advised her followers to stay away from didn't pose a risk.

"I wonder if anybody's warned her about good old dihydrogen monoxide?" she asks, adding: "(aka water.)"

It isn't the first time Hari's message, in which she encourages her followers to not eat anything "a third grader can't pronounce" has been questioned.
Dr Joe Schwarcz, director of and McGill University's Office for Science and Society, criticised Hari in an op-ed last year.

"When you have a plumbing problem, you call a plumber. When you have an electrical problem, you call an electrician. When you have an automobile problem, you consult a mechanic. Why, then, when it comes to a food-related issue that is inherently more complex, would one turn to the Food Babe?" Dr Schwarcz wrote.
There is also a Facebook community called "Banned by Food Babe" in which her former followers explain how they were banned from commenting on her heavily monitored Facebook page, often by asking for the science behind her claims.

Read this, absolutely ripped her a new one. Was great. Won't make a difference to the one sided followers she already has

Just had a look at her Wiki page. Wow.

In a July 2012 post (since removed), Hari quoted the ideas of Masaru Emoto, namely that microwave ovens cause water molecules to form crystals that resemble crystals exposed to negative thoughts or beliefs, such as when the words Hitler and Satan were exposed to the water. Dr. Novella calls Emoto's claims "pure pseudoscience" and states that "Hari's conclusions about microwaves are all demonstrably incorrect and at odds with the scientific evidence."

I got banned within 50 seconds of posting a comment on her page. Actually timed it.
Unbelievable. She spends all day swatting scientists lol