• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Oilucy

I've been doing squats for about 6 months now. I always steered clear of them as I thought my form was all wrong, until my PT encouraged me to do them and said my form was perfect which gave me lots of encouragement to give them a go,

I started with 5kg each side plus the bar. 6 months later I can still only do 15kg each side plus the bar though I struggle to get every single one deep enough - sometimes I totally fatigue. Otherwise it's 10kg a side with good deep squats but still only 12-15 of them.

its really getting me down! Other girls (admittedly much bigger than I am in height and far more solid) are doing 30kg a side.

I just want to look toned and I don't want massive bodybuilder thighs, but I feel hopeless that I cannot seem to increase the weight to something more decent after all this time.

is this normal??

I've been doing squats for about 6 months now. I always steered clear of them as I thought my form was all wrong, until my PT encouraged me to do them and said my form was perfect which gave me lots of encouragement to give them a go,

I started with 5kg each side plus the bar. 6 months later I can still only do 15kg each side plus the bar though I struggle to get every single one deep enough - sometimes I totally fatigue. Otherwise it's 10kg a side with good deep squats but still only 12-15 of them.

its really getting me down! Other girls (admittedly much bigger than I am in height and far more solid) are doing 30kg a side.

I just want to look toned and I don't want massive bodybuilder thighs, but I feel hopeless that I cannot seem to increase the weight to something more decent after all this time.

is this normal??
Yes, based on what you've been doing, it's 100% normal!

Your training seems to be emphasising everything that you do not wish to accomplish using this magnificent exercise. I fully understand what you mean when you say you don't wish to get bigger but just toned. I also understand what it means to be stuck on the same weight for 6 long months. Here's what you need to do in order to hit two birds with one stone.

You need to train for strength instead of size, and the way you go about doing that is by firstly reducing your repetitions from 15 to no more than 5. This number of repetitions would place the emphasis on much more muscular strength rather than size. So it's a case of more here (strength) and less here (size), instead of all here or all there okay Oilucy. In other words, there'll always be a level of strength and a level of size gained, but it's all relative based on the program you're following, and whether it's myofibrillar or sarcoplasmic dominant training, where myofibrillar (lower reps) going to give you more muscle density over muscle size. Going even lower than 5 repetitions would make you even stronger still, as it brings in more of your nervous system, where neuromuscular efficiency would be the dominant factor over all else, where the way you'd be able to recruit more muscle fibers at any one given time would be greatly enhanced.

I did try to keep it as simple as I could for you, but I think I've failed in that department. In any case, please discuss with your PT and get back to us. Thank you.

Last edited:
Bring the reps down, and do smaller increments. Patience and consistency will be your best friends here.

Do 3 sets of 5 reps each, all 3 sets are at the same weight. Just add say 2.5kg (dont try to jump up like 10 or 15) the next session and do 3 sets of 5 reps at that. Repeat for 3-6 months and you'll be amazed I promised.

Sounds like your Squat problem has been resolved by Fadi and Wingman so on to other more important matters - hows that guy who lent you the CD at the gym? I hope he hasn't turned into a stalker or committed suicide or anything [MENTION=14929]Oilucy[/MENTION];

I squat the weight quite easy but have been training for a few years.
In regards to progression, instead of keep going up on the weights of the regular back squat I change my variation of squat to front, wide or box squat in 3 or 4 week waves of programming.

Thanks Fadi & Wingman I will do just that! Seriously, thanks so much for replying I really needed some good advice here.
I'm wanting the what I call "curved quads with a lean athletic look" in my legs and I must admit the girls that are squatting decent sized weights don't have this - some of them have legs that outdo the guys they are amazing at what they can do! I will definately aim for strength with lower reps though.
PS He is alive and well El Stiffy :)

Last edited:
Thanks Fadi & Wingman I will do just that! Seriously, thanks so much for replying I really needed some good advice here.
I'm wanting the what I call "curved quads with a lean athletic look" in my legs and I must admit the girls that are squatting decent sized weights don't have this - some of them have legs that outdo the guys they are amazing at what they can do! I will definately aim for strength with lower reps though.

Once you attain an appreciable level of strength, you then begin to increase the reps in order to add some nice "curves" to those quads of yours Oilucy. Take care and all the very best with your journey.

is this normal??

I think you should put in it perspective too [MENTION=14929]Oilucy[/MENTION]; regardless of whether you think the total weights are squatting are big or small, you've increased your squat by approximately 65% in six months. That's good progress! Although you want to be squatting bigger weights just use regular incremental increases, they add up over a year! And don't worry about what the others are lifting, you never know, they may have been squatting for 5 years, in which case 30 kg a side compared to your 15 kg in six months doesn't stack up so well. Good luck. :)

^^Getting really strong by doing the basics with a barbell is tough.

It takes a lot of time and a lot of effort.

Last edited: