• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

ezra.bibby

As the weights start to get heavier, j find myself tearing my hands up more and more

Am I just a soft cock? Will gloves reduce my gainz?

Do I need big calluses to pull cross fit chicks?

ez

You mean from deadlifts I assume ?
It'll get better over time as your skin adapts. I used to get calluses but don't anymore, they still get marks and cuts in them from the knurling but usually gone after a day or two

Google proper care for calluses.

What lifts are tearing up your hands? I use liquid chalk which is good grippy stuff to stop the bar rolling and squeezing your callouses open.

If you pull cross fit chicks you won't have soft cock anymore coz their calloused hands are like cheese graters!

youll get used to it, my tradie hands took a while to get used to it, but now the callast rip off while training and it doesnt hurt

You're thinking about gloves?!? Why don't you get a manicure, pedicure and eyebrow shaping while you're at it. How's your vagina going?
Hands will toughen up mate. Hopefully you do too.
[emoji106]

I use gloves. Yes, they match my handbag. I'm at the gym to work muscle groups, not worry about the skin on my hands.

Once you start wearing gloves your hands will become softer and softer and more susceptible to tears.

I don't wear gloves, never have. I have never torn any deep callouses that has made me stop using my hands. I don't feel like I get anywhere near the same grip strength wearing gloves.

As the pastor says, if you don't wear them, they'll adapt and toughen. If you choose to wear gloves, they'll get softer and you'll need gloves for any thing that remotely resembles manual labour in the real world.

"As the weights start to get heavier"

I've never understood this kind of comment.

if the hands are getting "ripped apart" then you are doing somthing wrong.

Telling someone to just man-up is silly.

I agree with Silverback. I've got calluses but they have never hurt or felt like ripping apart or anything of the sort.

Soft girly hands run in my family. Mine are still soft. But now tough from my training.
I can confidently train without gloves and only then use straps occasionally on my top sets of Deadlifts.
Good habits start early just wear it for a while and it really does go away!

Like what? it is really only with Deads that I have an issue, what could I be doing wrong?

ez

The size of the handle, the size of your hands, the condition of your skin and the type of exercise can all come into it.

Take something like a farmers walk, where grip can be a limiting factor.

Setting the handles higher in your hand will give you a stronger grip. Your hand can be in a more closed position (most people's grip will be stronger in certain positions), and you can get more of your thumb on top of your fingers. That makes a big difference in how much you can hold onto and for how long.

The downside is that it traps/pinches the area of skin where callouses normally form. As your grip weakens and the bar slips lower it really wrenches on the skin and can tear.

It becomes more and more of an issue as the weights go up.