• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
There is a school of thought that says that frequency of training is of greater importance than sheer volume e.g. if you do 12 sets for muscle group X once per week you will see a greater benefit doing 6 sets twice per week.

I can see the logic in this in regards to being able to increase intensity e.g. (purely for an example) if you would normally do 5 sets of flat bench and then 5 sets of incline bench the incline sets will be at a lower weight/intensity/volume than if you were to do the 5 incline sets on another day having not pre-exhausted your bench prior.

While it sounds like some of you e.g. Silverback are doing something similar, has anyone found this to be effective for hypertrophy in direct comparison to a traditional split (each muscle group once per week, with higher volume).

Did you find that with reasonable intensity, the reduced volume was still sufficient stimulus to force growth? Bearing in mind that for smaller muscles this may equate to only 3-4 sets at a time.

We addressed all this in another thread recently @Repacked; MPS - Muscle Protein Synthesis.

Last edited:
We addressed all this in another thread recently @Repacked; MPS - Muscle Protein Synthesis.

While I do remember some discussion of that topic I am talking about spreading volume over increased frequency, not how long MPS occurs for after training.

FYI I cannot find that thread but I can never get the search function to be of any use.

I think the general consensus is to do the same volume per week no matter whether it be split into full body splits or bro splits. ie. Chest 10-15 sets once per week or 3-5 sets 3 x per week or 5-7 sets 2 x per week.

While it sounds like some of you e.g. Silverback are doing something similar, has anyone found this to be effective for hypertrophy in direct comparison to a traditional split (each muscle group once per week, with higher volume).
Like I said before in a different thread, steroid taking bodybuilders have really fogged up the glasses of that natural bodybuilder. I'll give you an analogy using eating here Sir. Is eating all your daily caloric needs in that one meal, the same as spreading those calories throughout the day? The answer is very obvious. So why should we even think that we can somehow cram what we did (or need to do) during a week period, into one workout? Would it work? Yes, with steroids it would. We go back to one of the most fundamentals of what it is to be able to increase muscle mass, and we find it in our ability to recover.

I know, I went more on the macro rather than the micro level with my opinion above. So in nutshell, volume needs to be spread throughout the week, just like the volume of calories needs to be spread throughout the day.

Who said the frequency is more important than volume?

Everyone credible that I've seen says volume is king. Given equivalent volume increased frequency appears to be beneficial (for strength and hypertrophy) provided that the volume is not too high to recover from.

Muscle repair is pretty quick
Why wait a week to hit x muscle again? What is it even doing after 2-3 days of recovery required

2-3 times per week crew checking in.
That said, I'm doing a lot of volume and each part twice per week and getting the best results I've ever had I reckon. I think a lot of people over estimate the body's potential for recovery and shy away from what they think is over training

The only time I can remember of legitimate over "reaching" (to the point of strength loss) was when I condensed coan/phillipi routine from 10 weeks to 4. 3/3/2/1 sessions per week. end of second week I was weak as piss compared to normal. Came back after that though and hit target numbers when the volume dropped.