• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Written in 1970

Throw a stone into a pool of water, and it will make a splash – and a wave will run to the far end of the pool; the
larger the stone, the larger the splash – and the larger the wave.
A very similar effect results from any form of
exercise – I have named this "indirect effect".

When one muscle grows in response to exercise, the entire
muscular structure of the body grows to a lesser degree – even muscles that are not being exercised at all; and
the larger the muscle that is growing – or the greater the degree of growth – the greater this indirect effect will
be.
Until quite recently, this effect was most pronounced as a result of the practice of full squats.

It has been
repeatedly demonstrated that the practice of squats – as a single exercise – will induce large-scale muscular
growth throughout the body; and while nobody yet understands why this happens, there is no slightest doubt
that it does happen. The results are extremely obvious; for example – if a six foot man weighing 150 pounds is
put on a regular schedule of heavy squats, he may gain 50 pounds of muscular bulk within a year, as a direct
result of this one type of exercise.

But all of this growth will not occur in the legs and the lower back – the areas
of the body being worked – in fact, a very marked degree of growth will also occur in the muscles of the
shoulders, the chest, the neck, and the arms. While such an individual might have 13 inch upper arms at the start
of such a training program, it is almost impossible for his arms to stay that small; by the end of the program, his
arms would probably be at least 15 inches.

And in almost all cases, the bulk of this arm-size increase will be in
the form of muscular fiber – rather than fatty tissue; the strength of the arms will increase in proportion (but not
in direct proportion) to the size increase – in spite of the fact that no exercise is employed for the arms at all.

All other muscular masses of the body will show the same effect – to a greater or lesser degree.
While it is certainly possible to build an obvious degree of disproportionate muscular size through the
employment of an unbalanced program of exercises – and a training program limited to squats would be just
that – there seems to be a definite limit to the degree of such disproportionate development that the body will
permit; for example, it is difficult to build the size of the arms beyond a certain point, unless the large muscles
of the legs are also being exercised.

It is very common for young men on a weight-training program to ignore the development of their legs entirely –
while concentrating on their arms and the muscles of the torso; on such a program, the arms will grow up to a
point, but then additional growth will not be forthcoming – or at least not until heavy exercises for the legs are
added to the training program, and then the arms will almost always start growing again immediately.

Apparently having reached a maximum permissible degree of disproportionate development, the body will not
permit additional arm growth until the legs are also increased in size.

Or perhaps some other cause/effect
relationship is responsible – but the results are obvious, regardless of what the actual causative factors may be.
It is not necessary to understand the effect to be aware of its results.

While the actual percentile of effect from this factor is not known, it is obvious that it varies within a certain range –apparently depending primarily upon
two conditions;
(1) the larger the mass of the muscle that is being exercised, the larger the degree of results
from indirect effect will be, and

(2) the greater the distance between the muscle that is being exercised and the
muscle that is not being exercised, the smaller the degree of results will be.

From these observations, a number of conclusions are rather obvious;

1. for good results from exercise, it is essential that the training program be well rounded – that some form of exercise be included for each of the
major muscle masses of the body,
2. greatest concentration should be directed towards working the largest
muscles in the body,
3. the training sequence should be arranged in such a way that the muscles are
worked in order of their relative sizes.

What you're really trying to say juganaut is that you want to workout the least amount of time possible you lazy bastard.
Nah man it's train smart not hard ya bastard! brbrbrbrb recovery :rolleyes:

But is that such a bad thing Darknutz? Doing too much training is going to over load the joints, nerves and immune system etc eventually.

Like Goldilocks said, "not too much, not too little, but just right!".
Goldilocks will do as she is gardamned told, entitled thieving princess. But yeah the snotty bitch is correct for once!

Written in 1970

Throw a stone into a pool of water, and it will make a splash – and a wave will run to the far end of the pool; the
larger the stone, the larger the splash – and the larger the wave.
A very similar effect results from any form of
exercise – I have named this "indirect effect".

Yeah so that's why there is no such thing as isolation exercises in the true sense of the word right, just like there is no such thing as spot reduction in fat. RIPPLE EFFECT biatch..

Yeah so that's why there is no such thing as isolation exercises in the true sense of the word right, just like there is no such thing as spot reduction in fat. RIPPLE EFFECT biatch..

Probably only one or two true isolatery exercises that I can think of.

Spot reduction?
A physiological impossibility; the overall amount of fat is just that, an "overall" condition – the result of too much food and-or too little exercise.

But in certain sections of the body of women or men, a very noticeable degree of "apparent spot reduction" can be produced, depending on the exercise/s used.

over time, its not just the muscle that grows, your skeleton re-forms and shapes to best hold this muscle.

my chest is about twice as thick as it used to be, waist is no longer a 28 as the hips have widened to cope with much larger quads/hammies etc, every single bone is slightly bigger and in some cases like the rib cage is much more transfored.

its these reasons building quality muscle takes serious time, you need the rest of the systems to keep up. to me, i'd say every 7 years we can completely transform.

that means for 300lb overweight people moving down to 185lb, their entire bone structure will shrink somewhat to match that new weight you carry day to day.

same goes for the other direction

edit: for example, if you changed from a sprinter to a marathon runner, in 7yrs of marathon training, you'll take on marathon runner characteristics, the muscle fibres will change to this training (the ratio's), the bones will change, you will be very skinny for efficient heat dispersion for long distance etc etc.

"what your born with" or "genetic tissue" isn't a result from genetics, thats a copout! its a product of very hard work in that specific field which dictates what the body will do to perform. thats why bodybuilders don't go jogging every morning, completely different muscle activation and you won't get the desired result.

Last edited:
over time, its not just the muscle that grows, your skeleton re-forms and shapes to best hold this muscle.

my chest is about twice as thick as it used to be, waist is no longer a 28 as the hips have widened to cope with much larger quads/hammies etc, every single bone is slightly bigger and in some cases like the rib cage is much more transfored.

its these reasons building quality muscle takes serious time, you need the rest of the systems to keep up. to me, i'd say every 7 years we can completely transform.

that means for 300lb overweight people moving down to 185lb, their entire bone structure will shrink somewhat to match that new weight you carry day to day.

same goes for the other direction

edit: for example, if you changed from a sprinter to a marathon runner, in 7yrs of marathon training, you'll take on marathon runner characteristics, the muscle fibres will change to this training (the ratio's), the bones will change, you will be very skinny for efficient heat dispersion for long distance etc etc.

"what your born with" or "genetic tissue" isn't a result from genetics, thats a copout! its a product of very hard work in that specific field which dictates what the body will do to perform. thats why bodybuilders don't go jogging every morning, completely different muscle activation and you won't get the desired result.

:D

Anabolism - systemic or localized?
Systemic. Observe a boy going through adolescence, without lifting any weights whatsoever, the boy's muscles grow all over as his testosterone levels/anabolic hormone levels increase. That was growth through the increase of his endogenous hormonal levels. Take a person (not a bodybuilder) who trains not with weights, and give him some exogenous anabolic steroids; he will gain muscle mass.

Now coming to the second part of your question, I know, and I see a localised effect but not in anabolism, but rather catabolism instead. I'm sure everyone here knows what I'm talking about if they ever had to have a cortisone injection, which is catabolic in nature and design, and local in its effect.

Edit: decided to add the following for clarification's sake. Catabolic hormones such as cortisol fro example also behave in a systematic way just like endogenously produced testosterone. The only difference between the anabolic and catabolic (that I've witnessed), was that one can have a localised catabolic effect from (say) a cortisone injection, but the same is not true when injecting an anabolic steroid, hence (and perhaps), the prevalent use/abuse of synthol, since that does give one a localised effect for certain, (through inflammation though instead of true anabolism).

Last edited:
neither of you 2 know jack shit about putting on muscle, both fat ****s pretending to lift and be "more healthy".

get over it, get over me, stick to the facts being written. they are truth.

From these observations, a number of conclusions are rather obvious;

1. for good results from exercise, it is essential that the training program be well rounded – that some form of exercise be included for each of the
major muscle masses of the body,
2. greatest concentration should be directed towards working the largest
muscles in the body,
3. the training sequence should be arranged in such a way that the muscles are
worked in order of their relative sizes.

my first tip is;
1. stop using the enter key when your sentence isn't finished, just because your on size 24 font doesn't mean anyone else is, and the forum will format it correctly, like a book.
2. stop pretending your all high and mighty, esp with the speech. eg "muscles are worked in order of their relative sizes" seriously? just spell it out. your not a scientist because you know jack shit, but pretending to be one through speech

neither of you 2 know jack shit about putting on muscle, both fat ****s pretending to lift and be "more healthy".

get over it, get over me, stick to the facts being written. they are truth.

I believe you.

im actually one of the few who will educate you, and not be the ****s that pretentd to keep everything secret

[MENTION=7521]C_T[/MENTION] ; you mooseknuckle, what's the matter, you had a bad batch of Test. Or something