• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you utilise a periodisation system in your training?

• Total voters

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
How many of you that are not running a PL program employ some sort of periodisation? What is your plan? Has it been successful?
(PL'ers please chime in too).

You don't need to periodize you just just to increase volume over time
Peaking for a meet is as simple as going heavier for a bit

Like even Sheiko is not periodized, it's just increasing volume then dropping it off near a meet

Like even Sheiko is not periodized, it's just increasing volume then dropping it off near a meet

Isn't that a form of periodization?

I definitely don't have any formal type of periodization in the past as I'm normally just doing whatever I can that my body will allow me to :p

I always have a volume taper prior to a comp though. That is about it. Otherwise, I'm just trying to increase total weekly volume. If progress stalls then I've taken a lower volume week or so to recover.

Aside from dropping off prior to a meet do you two include deload periods at specific intervals?

Never specific for me. I just continue to try and add volume. (sometimes via additional sets, sometimes by reps per set but usually with similar rep ranges but increased load ie. linear progression style). If I'm feeling flat, low on energy (despite adequate nutrition and sleep) then I'll deload. My typical deload is volume based still high intensity. e.g. Might do 5x5 at 210kg one week, struggle the next week with 210x5,4,4,3,3. The following week deload would be something like 210x3 and call it a day there.

I can't bring myself to do a load drop for a deload. It's just so damn boring haha.

Yeah deload week @ 50% 1.R.M (eg 5/3/1 style) is sissy shit, I don't feel like my muscles are stimulated enough to have justified the trip to the gym. Same weight less reps/sets does the trick for me.

Isn't that a form of periodization?

I definitely don't have any formal type of periodization in the past as I'm normally just doing whatever I can that my body will allow me to :p

I always have a volume taper prior to a comp though. That is about it. Otherwise, I'm just trying to increase total weekly volume. If progress stalls then I've taken a lower volume week or so to recover.

Nah because periodisation is juggling several different qualities
It's not needed for pl / bb
There is just getting stronger

It's not needed for pl / bb
There is just getting stronger
nah
only real benefit to this is psychological

Oooh. I disagree there, you may have had the luxury of gear for too long. I think alot people think they train hard, but don't. If you don't push yourself to burning out (not saying it's a good thing) how do you know where the edge is? Know what I mean? I reckon natty kunce who think over training is impossible haven't trained hard enough.

Oooh. I disagree there, you may have had the luxury of gear for too long. I think alot people think they train hard, but don't. If you don't push yourself to burning out (not saying it's a good thing) how do you know where the edge is? Know what I mean? I reckon natty kunce who think over training is impossible haven't trained hard enough.

I think over training takes a lot more than you think it does. And as you build your capacity you build that ceiling up as well.

I dont believe in training scheduled deloads. Life gives you enough deloads already - health problems, relationship problems, vacations, life celebratory milestone moments etc. all put you out of training for a week or whatever and you can go back with a new outlook afterwards.

my idea of periodisation is governed by listening to the body.

you train hard for a bit, and when you feel like shit, you rest. pretty simple for bodybuilding. im not talking about making a powerlifting meet or making that 100m sprint final.

im talking about packing on quality muscle, with minimal fat.

edit: maybe later when you develop the body, then you hone in those specific skills???

Last edited:
I think over training takes a lot more than you think it does. And as you build your capacity you build that ceiling up as well.

I dont believe in training scheduled deloads. Life gives you enough deloads already - health problems, relationship problems, vacations, life celebratory milestone moments etc. all put you out of training for a week or whatever and you can go back with a new outlook afterwards.

I didn't say I think it happens with a small load. By nature it takes a large load for a prolonged time. Do you fit into that category I was talking about? :p Do you train hard Wingers? Do ya?

define hard?

Talking politics with Lara Bingle.

fbi.gif

Hard enough to be a physical wreck. Hard enough to require​ time away from the gym.

Wouldnt ya get more longevity (and results!) out of going 9/10 for 20 weeks than 10/10 for 6?

I usually have to crawl back to my car after sessions though, and have a cold shower when i get home. Where do you draw the line between overtraining and underrecovering?