• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

D1cko

Extra Large Member
I thought I'd start a thread where we could review a program based on our own personal experiences. There's no right or wrong reviews, just opinions and sharing what worked and what didn't.

Juggernaut Review

I decided to run the Juggernaut written by Chad Smith, after being quite impressed with his performance at the Worlds last year.
I also (maybe stupidly) decided to go on a cut whilst doing it.
I ran it over 16 weeks, deloading after each 'wave' of rep segments. 10's, 8's, 5's, 3's.
Each wave consists of an accumulation phase of lots of volume, Intensification where intensity picks up, and Realization, where it's a test of your max reps at a given percentage.
I started with working maxes (based on 90% of my actual maxes) of:

Squat - 193kg
Bench - 99kg
Deadlift - 252kg
M.Press - 58.5kg

My final maxes at the end of week 16 were:

Squat - 203kg
Bench - 129kg
Deadlift - 287kg
M.Press - 81kg

I felt that my squats strength went down and deadlift improved slightly. Bench and Military Press were always going to go up because I was getting over an injury when I started.
Overall, I would not do this program again nor recommend it for anyone other than a beginner or more of a general athlete rather than a powerlifter.

PRO's:
Good Volume in some weeks.
All out sets are fun.

CONS:
Deloading after each wave breaks up momentum and seems pointless.
Your working maxes are re-calculated after each wave, sometimes giving unrealistic figures due to the formula used.
Week one of each wave is too easy.
Not enough time spent in higher percentage ranges making the final weeks weight feel heavy.

I stress that this is only my opinion, and it might be much more enjoyable and effective for someone else. I like to feel heavy weight on my back more regularly and will be going back to my program.
Dicko

Currently doing an online training program from ptc finished my first 6 weeks and testing maxes this week.

Being the first program there's no real volume or even numbers worth mentioning yet but it's been a great program so far and its working very well for my numbers.

I had been doing 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, so 3/5/1 format with assistance exercises geared towards helping the main lifts until my first comp, had reasonable progress, but felt it was still a bit slow for an intermediate.

I've since changed to the variant described in the Powerlifting to Win blog with slightly altered percentages, so 5x5 @ 70% 1RM in the 5 week on alternate days for each lift (so more frequency and volume of the main lifts) and 5x3 @ 80% on the 3 and 531 weeks, as well as joker sets where possible, and more heavy singles.

So far its worked quite well, especially with giving me more confidence at handling heavier weights, I've been able to smash out reps that previously I was struggling on. I also cut down on a bit of the assistance work so that the main lifts didn't suffer.