• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training when sick.

Neddysmith

Standard kunce
SO yesterday I felt I was coming down with something and slowed down on the cardio but pushed through on the weights, then afterwards I felt myself going downhill in the arvo and night, today I feel pretty ordinary with blocked nose tiny bit of sore throat and cough.

When you guess are feeling crook or have man flu as I do, do you just man up and train through or do you take time off and use it to rest and recover? OR do you still goto the gym but do an altered workout, maybe lower weights higher reps, more cardio and try to sweat things out?

Thoughts?

I generally push through unless I am bed ridden, not sure if it is the right thing to do or not though

Man flu is such bullshit.

Working here the last 2 years has seen me take not one day off sick even though i perhaps should have once or twice.

and when i did feel a bit iffy all the girls said 'oh it must be man flu!' Fuck you bitches, you're off 2 weekdays a week and sick every third week.

Up fluids and push through. If your still not feeling your workout while at the gym drop all weights 10% and keep on going.

Training with a suppressed immune system will hinder your recovery and performance.
Rest.

Working here the last 2 years has seen me take not one day off sick even though i perhaps should have once or twice.

and when i did feel a bit iffy all the girls said 'oh it must be man flu!' Fuck you bitches, you're off 2 weekdays a week and sick every third week.

^^This.

Depends on the severity, only you know your body. If it's just a minor ailment I'll push through but if training is going to prolong the sickness or you really can't train properly give it a rest.

Last edited:

Yeah I fully get this and I am then same, the only time I have taken sick leave is when I am completely bed ridden or the kids are sick, basically I figure if I am not sick enough to stay in bed all day then I will goto work and I will generally train although at a lower level usually and just push through, some things such as cardio is usually effected more due to breathing issues etc, but I will usually increase cals slightly and fluid as well as rest more at night times to get more sleep in.

Just interested if this was the right thing or what others were doing.

As others have said, it depends how bad it is. If it's just a sore throat and runny nose, I'll push through. If I can't get out of bed, I'll rest.

My golden rule is: If the ailment is above the neckline, stay home. If the ailment is below the neckline then HTFU and train like your life depends on it!

I'm not referring to injuries, just sickness and mild cases of STD.

These days if I feel off I don't go.

the next workout is a ripper.

when I was younger I use to push through it, in hindsight it was counterproductive

I am all for training hard, pushing through workouts etc - but if you are sick - do not bother - it will simply make you sicker and you will miss more workouts - skip your session but just make sure you make it up when your better.

Training when sick.
Moving rather than training yes most definitely. My #1 recommendation to anyone who is ill or about to get ill, is to perform the health jump on a mini-trampoline. This form of movement is king when it comes to assisting the flow of your lymph, where a huge part of your immune system derive its status from. I use the Bellicon rebounder (whether I'm sick or not), since it's simply the best with its usage of bungee chords instead of springs. Whether you're physically injured or ill, rebounding can be performed to maintain what lean body mass you have, as well as in helping your lymph move along more efficiently. Water, an increase in water consumption (preferably with lemon juice and Himalayan salt added) would also help you get back on your feet much more quickly than not.

Attachments

• 975282_f520.jpg
    975282_f520.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 52
We've had some bug rip through our office and everyone has come down with it and last night I started to get the first symptoms and I go on holidays at the end of next week.
Even though I don't feel bad I thought bugger the workout. Rather the body use it's energy trying to get rid of this virus asap rather than prolong it and I still end up sick on my holiday.

Yesterday I felt tired because lack of sleep and wife and kids are sick so didn't feel the best but I went to the gym anyway and after a few sets of squats, boy did I feel it, I nearly wanted to reach for the bin but I pushed through (not heavy, I sit in an office all day so I wanted my body to move a little), not finishing a few exercises of course coz I couldn't take it anymore but once I got home and fell on the couch, instant relief. Had a 15 minute snooze and it was all good.

Now the baby has started at day care, she got sick within a couple of days and that tore thru our family pretty god damn fast. I didnt have a day off training, despite hocking up green phlem and blowing my nose so hard it bled.
A couple of cups of lemon tea, gargled some crushed up aspro and I was good in 4-5 days. HTFUC

Man I took some GABA last night to help me sleep but all it did was made me all relaxed and shit but could did not fall asleep until dawn and then the alarm came on 15 minutes later. So now I am going to myself up full of stims to get thru the workout. HTFU swag crew checking in yolo..