• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which is important to you: BW to lifting ratio or max lift numbers?

The old ticker can only take so much. It supports 100kg with short plumbing distances but seems to fail when faced with the problem of supplying a 150kg behemoth with greater distances to circulate the blood. Add in the extreme intrathoracic pressure that accompanies such enormous force generation and we have an cause for the unfortunate level of mortality amongst the giants of strongman and powerlifting. A few cc of the favourite cocktails doesn't help either. It doesn't just cause embrittlement of tendons, it destroys blood vessels too.

The old ticker can only take so much. It supports 100kg with short plumbing distances but seems to fail when faced with the problem of supplying a 150kg behemoth with greater distances to circulate the blood. Add in the extreme intrathoracic pressure that accompanies such enormous force generation and we have an cause for the unfortunate level of mortality amongst the giants of strongman and powerlifting. A few cc of the favourite cocktails doesn't help either. It doesn't just cause embrittlement of tendons, it destroys blood vessels too.

That all reads a little rediculous to me

Fuck body weight ratio, I'm not a gymnast, it's the more kgs I push (refuse to use the words "lift" and "squat" can't even read them anymore without rolling my eyes and elevated BP) for reps.
For me that is what counts.

How do you measure strength?
by isolating a muscle and testing force isometrically at pre determined points through a ROM.

Dr Squat hatfield, an extremely strong squatter had his quadriceps tested for strengths, the reading indicated that his quad strength was quite low, much lower than anyone had anticipated.

its one thing to have big muscles, it's another thing to be able to transmit that power, to create the force required to push an object over a distance.

a person with long limbs (Arnold) in the bench will need to move the bar a lot further than a person with short limbs (hatfield) the irony is, hatfield will be able move more, but Arnold will be stronger in those muscles involved because, he is required to move the bar further.

long levers aid power, short limbs help lift weights.

Sav Rocca, and another discus thrower I trained with, were not that great at lifting weights, but had excellent power.

For most sports, power is king.

Bill Kazmaier at 6'3" did one of the greatest raw benches in history. Long levers propelled by a considerable mass of muscle.

Nathan Baxter is not short either and he has a reasonable raw bench.

Vasily Alexsiyev was 6'1 and from memory lifted quite a bit more than Naim Suleymanoglu who was only 5ft tall.

Most of the super heavy weight lifters are 6ft plus and they seem to squat fairly well.

Bill Kazmaier at 6'3" did one of the greatest raw benches in history. Long levers propelled by a considerable mass of muscle.

Nathan Baxter is not short either and he has a reasonable raw bench.

Vasily Alexsiyev was 6'1 and from memory lifted quite a bit more than Naim Suleymanoglu who was only 5ft tall.

Most of the super heavy weight lifters are 6ft plus and they seem to squat fairly well.

how many of those blokes are dead? :D

Last edited:
you can be over 6 foot, and still have short or long levers at same height.

I was same height as mate, yet his reach was 10cm longer. He never had a massive bench despite long levers, yet excelled at power tests where his levers were an advantage, even bodyweight tests.

good example, phelps as swimmer, his leg inseam is the same as someone 8 inches shorter than him, 30 inches.

He has very short legs for a guy 6ft 4 inches.

I like to know everything about great athletes.

No, I read article on him about how suited he is to swimming.

power to weight, he does 34 chinups, hard version.

What about beard length?

From an interview with Brandon Lilly:

Now I have to ask this since the name of this is “Barbells and Beards.” Discuss the power of the beard and the importance of having one.
Haha! Well being that I am ugly as hell and bald I grow a beard. Actually this all started years ago as I got closer to competitions I quit caring about everything so I always ended up with a beard when I competed. And that was when I had hair, now that I’m bald I have beard so I don’t look like a phallus. In all seriousness a beard will add 100 lbs. to your total instantly.