• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Males should be ~10-12% body fat before even considering going on any kind of ‘bulk’

Can someone please explain to me how eating maintenance calories (maintaining weight) is going to assist in gaining LBM? (as a natural, non-beginner lifter without muscle memory)

Can someone please explain to me how eating maintenance calories (maintaining weight) is going to assist in gaining LBM? (as a natural, non-beginner lifter without muscle memory)

Well it's like this jz, scientifically speaking -

It doesn't.

Can you explain a "non beginner lifter without muscle memory"

If you work hard/er you will eat more, I thinks it's pretty simple.

you do not eat more hoping to grow muscle.

WTF, distinction?

The first two pages was talking about the benefits of adding fat to the body to assist adding muscle, I questioned that, dark agreed.

it's a myth,adding fat will not make you stronger, but I suppose can improve leverages., anything over 13% fat has no benefit, unless your strandard in the desert, or in some concentration camp.

maybe you should tell that to steven prichard?

it will only work if they are overweight, and that fat is extra fuel. pretty simple really.

Can you explain a "non beginner lifter without muscle memory"

non beginner: at least 2 years of consistent strength training using progressive overload
without muscle memory: someone who has previously trained for a decent period of time, taken lots of time off, then returned.

silverback said:
If you work hard/er you will eat more, I thinks it's pretty simple.

you do not eat more hoping to grow muscle.

????
What do you mean by work harder?

Every time I go to the gym, I am aiming to do more than I have done in the past basically. The largest determining factor as to if I can actually do that is how much I have eaten. (and sleep) If I haven't eaten that much (for whatever reason) I typically find it VERY difficult to improve on previous results. If I have eaten more then it is more likely that I can achieve a PR. (and this includes volume PR's)

I really don't understand where you guys are going with this? Muscle can't be made out of thin air. You need energy from somewhere.

non beginner: at least 2 years of consistent strength training using progressive overload
without muscle memory: someone who has previously trained for a decent period of time, taken lots of time off, then returned.

????
What do you mean by work harder?

Every time I go to the gym, I am aiming to do more than I have done in the past basically. The largest determining factor as to if I can actually do that is how much I have eaten. (and sleep) If I haven't eaten that much (for whatever reason) I typically find it VERY difficult to improve on previous results. If I have eaten more then it is more likely that I can achieve a PR. (and this includes volume PR's)

I really don't understand where you guys are going with this? Muscle can't be made out of thin air. You need energy from somewhere.

Yeah, you're right..We add weight to the bar, that's the aim, it's called progression, we add a rep at a time to a pre-determined goal once that's reached we increase the kg on the bar, reduce the amount of rep's and build up to that set goal, that's called double progression, we can do the same for fuel, by increasing slowly the food portions over time, far healthier to the system.

I think the best way is to test and measure. I've been on the same maintenance calories for 4 months, my weight hasn't changed much at all (less than 1kg). However I've increased in strength and after taking recent measurements, things like arms have gone up and waist has come down.

This will only work to a certain point, I agree. But until I plateau in terms of strength and muscle gain, I'll stay on the same calories.

Silverback: that makes more sense to me now :) Definitely not suggesting going from low calories to a big surplus instantly.

SteveP: Yep, keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore. I'm sure we all have stubborn body parts but for me it is definitely chest and arms. Have gone from 80kg to mid 80's and no increase whatsoever. Recently gone up to 90kg and FINALLY some growth. If I could eat at maintenance and have the lagging body parts grow that would be ideal but can't do that anymore it seems. So a bit of bulking and cutting is required for me.

japowatso, how does an experienced lifter NOT have muscle memory, after all, they go hand in hand, unless he is a complete numbnit and had no idea what he was doing all that time.

japowatso, how does an experienced lifter NOT have muscle memory, after all, they go hand in hand, unless he is a complete numbnit and had no idea what he was doing all that time.

umm he/she does.

These are 2 seperate terms.

beginner

and

muscle memory.

Both of these cases, you can gain LBM while losing fat (to a small degree) as a natural.