• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Males should be ~10-12% body fat before even considering going on any kind of ‘bulk’

Im a tad confused fadi, what is your opinion?
I've already stated my opinion Andy, it's all there in black and white sir. If one (as Darkoz asked in one of his questions), regarding bulking, as in adding muscles, would one have to increase his calorie intake. And I replied by saying no, they don't have to increase it. I took "as in adding muscles" to be distinct from simply bulking as we know it, and I elaborated on what that distinction entails.

This distinction was made in the first two pages of this thread by Rugby, myself and you.

WTF, distinction?

The first two pages was talking about the benefits of adding fat to the body to assist adding muscle, I questioned that, dark agreed.

it's a myth,adding fat will not make you stronger, but I suppose can improve leverages., anything over 13% fat has no benefit, unless your strandard in the desert, or in some concentration camp.

WTF, distinction?

The first two pages was talking about the benefits of adding fat to the body to assist adding muscle, I questioned that, dark agreed.

it's a myth,adding fat will not make you stronger, but I suppose can improve leverages., anything over 13% fat has no benefit, unless your strandard in the desert, or in some concentration camp.
Agree

Unless you are a SHW powerlifter that is actually in contention for medals there is no reason to fat up.( unless you like being fat) which is what most people do when they bulk. Aside for immediate nooby gains muscle grown is painfully slow naturally.

Most people don't get it. Most people class 1/2 kg a month as stalled.

Take a skinny 70kg bloke and gain 1/2 kg a month for the next 5 years and he is 100kg lean.

How many achieve that? Not many, if any. (I'm channeling the kiwis)

It's hard to build pure LBM without any fat along with it.. who has such a finely tuned diet and training regime like that? Unless going pro.

It's hard to build pure LBM without any fat along with it.. who has such a finely tuned diet and training regime like that? Unless going pro.

What are we talking about now?

people with no fat?

you nong, they'd be dead.

carrying a low % of body fat for a protracted period is a hard slog, some have the ability however to, it's called genetics.

the reality is that excess fat has no benefit, none what so ever.

Wow, so many misinterpretations of the term 'bulking'. I don't think anyone wants to gain fat, nor sees any benefit. The commonly used definition of bulking is to be in a calorie surplus where fat gain is not a concern. The purpose of this is to always have the body in a state of anabolism to promote maximum muscle growth.

Last edited:
Wow, so many misinterpretations of the term 'bulking'. I don't think anyone wants to gain fat, nor sees any benefit. The commonly used definition of bulking is to be in a calorie surplus where fat gain is not a concern. The purpose of this is to always have the body in a state of anabolism to promote maximum muscle growth.
Look, most and more likely all of us, unless you're a practicing anorexic, are in a calorie surplus.
If we were to talk about 'broscience' then 'bulking' is the biggest broscience daddy of them all.

This is especially true for the beginner lifter, which I've stated before, should not concern himself with his diet, counting calories, macros and all that crap but rather he should put all his effort into his workout and learn how to lift properly in a safe manner for the long term.

Then as one progresses with his workouts and learns a thing or two he can then educate himself and get into the habit of eating sensibly, without yoyoing his weight with the never ending circle of bulking and cutting.

now, if we were to use the term 'bulking' to mean adding muscle (or at least maintaining muscle) and not fat, then we should be in a state of constant bulking.

Last edited:
now, if we were to use the term 'bulking' to mean adding muscle (or at least maintaining muscle) and not fat, then we should be in a state of constant bulking.

I'll think you find that isn't the commonly used definition of bulking or the meaning in the original posted article.

So this is the laymans way of looking at it rite.. For most people even with a diet and training plan:

Goal: Bulk up in LBM only
Reality: Bulk made up of LBM and some puppy fat

The main issue is most people don't know exactly what they're TDEE is so they over estimate, then they jump on the +500cal bandwagon which comes from 1lb of fat is 3500cal or there abouts, but in reality it doesn't work both ways. Adding 3500cal a week won't result in a lb of muscle.
The other reason +500cal is suggested is most people underestimate their intakes such as "hard-gainers", "ectomorphs" and the like.

Agree

Unless you are a SHW powerlifter that is actually in contention for medals there is no reason to fat up.( unless you like being fat) which is what most people do when they bulk. Aside for immediate nooby gains muscle grown is painfully slow naturally.

Most people don't get it. Most people class 1/2 kg a month as stalled.

Take a skinny 70kg bloke and gain 1/2 kg a month for the next 5 years and he is 100kg lean.

How many achieve that? Not many, if any. (I'm channeling the kiwis)

Totes