• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Males should be ~10-12% body fat before even considering going on any kind of ‘bulk’

Here's a thought, does anyone here think that 'bulking', as in adding muscle, can be achieved without actually eating any more.
Yes Darkoz I do. As I have alluded to before, and since you have made a specific reference to one adding muscle instead of (just) weight, then my answer is yes, it can be done without the increasing of one's maintenance caloric intake. You lose fat and you add muscles, without altering your actual bodyweight. This can only be achieved through a combination of an appropriate exercise program, coupled with calorie maintenance.

Now once you go above and beyond your maintenance calorie intake levels, then depending on by how much you have gone beyond your maintenance level, and what you are doing in the form of an exercise program, the addition of muscle to fat ratio would be determined.

Last edited:
The opinions of Lyle McDonald on physical training and the acquisition of size and strength are very interesting and useful and should be seriously considered by everyone.

I'm, like, totally serious dudes.

Here's a thought, does anyone here think that 'bulking', as in adding muscle, can be achieved without actually eating any more.

I'm trying this out at the moment. Trying to hit daily maintenance calories consistently. I've tried the typical bulk/cut cycle and it does seem a little aimless at times. I'm certain a little planning and controlling of calories can save a lot of cardio time later on.

I think I certainly is possible for a while to gain lean muscle mass and reduce body fat, however, there will come a time of both muscle mass and body fat where it will even itself out and an adjustment of diet would be required to keep gaining muscle.

Here's a thought.........
If you have 10-12% body fat, why would you want to 'bulk'
In fact, why the fuck would anyone 'bulk' at all

'bulking' is one the most ridiculous bodybuilding myths of all time.

Agree. Bulk means I just want to get fatter.

Not necessarily or beneficial for a natural trainer.

In the world of bodybuilding and its reality, if one says I want to bulk, without specifying the nature of the bulk, then one can assume that here the word "bulk" would automatically denotes an increase in bodyweight. However if the bodybuilder specifies (as Darkoz did later on when he asked his question:
does anyone here think that 'bulking', as in adding muscle
... due to specifying the nature of the bulk (muscle in this case), then one can not deduce from the word "bulk" to automatically mean:
I just want to get fatter.

Last edited:
In the world of bodybuilding and its reality, if one says I want to bulk, without specifying the nature of the bulk, then one can assume that here the word "bulk" would automatically denotes an increase in bodyweight. However if the bodybuilder specifies (as Darkoz did later on when he asked his question: ... due to specifying the nature of the bulk (muscle in this case), then one can not deduce from the word "bulk" to automatically mean:

Lol what was that shit.

Fadi, this is what the discussion is about, well, what I was trying to say is that I think when most say "I'm bulking" they want to add fat, thinking it will help adding muscle tissue.

Mine was a contribution to the discussion at hand. It could be right and it could be wrong. Now what exactly was your contribution, apart from an insult; a reflection of your own character perhaps!

Yours was a long round about way of saying nothing at all as usual.

Fadi, this is what the discussion is about, well, what I was trying to say is that I think when most say "I'm bulking" they want to add fat, thinking it will help adding muscle tissue.

This distinction was made in the first two pages of this thread by Rugby, myself and you.