• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Effects of brown rice on low protein diets

StrungOut

Hooded Kunce
[h=3]Abstract[/h]The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

What does this mean? That the fibre in brown rice flushes out all the good stuff before the body can absorb them? Are we able to apply this phenomena to all fibre.. like if I had a a huge feast at Sizzlers and then downed 3 cups of Metamucil will I just shit all the salad back out? :confused:

What does it mean? In the context of a high protein mixed food diet most BB types eat. Probably nothing.

Yeah I think the main thing to realise before jumping to the brown rice is bad train is this was a low protein diet

Well good riddance to that because I hate brown rice anyway, it feels like I am eating gravel lmao.

2 billion Asians prefer white rice... I'll go with them

agreed.

Told my Japanese mate that we now have brown rice sushi at hippie places in Oz. He could not believe it. Absolute blasphemy.

p.s. long.

(thai glutinous is delish too, add condensed milk for excellent carb up food :))

I much prefer brown rice most of the time, except for with Indian curries and Chinese food. Brown rice sushi rolls with tuna and avocado are amazing, can't see how you could not like them.

Brown rice has a nice flavour of it's own, and is great with more bland foods. White rice is good with foods where you really just want to use it to soak up the flavour of the sauce that accompanies it. That's my opinion anyway.

So the link is basically saying that brown rice has more fibre, hence less of the rice matter is absorbed by your body. Isn't that exactly what you want when dieting?