• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Using anabolic steroids harms your health and social image

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Performance enhancing or doping substances such as anabolic steroids and erythropoietin, a hormone that enhances the production of red blood cells and increases oxygen consumption in the body, are no longer confined to the realm of competitive sports and increasingly now used by the mainstream.
The most popular doping substance appears to be anabolic steroids, and while users of anabolic steroids can experience benefits such as enhanced strength, stamina and body image – along with increased confidence and self-esteem – anabolic steroid use has been linked to various physical and psychological syndromes and adverse effects, including suicide and premature death.
However, the negative effects of anabolic steroid use transcend the individual user’s physical and mental health into society.
[h=2]Wider social problem[/h]The use of anabolic steroids has major negative effects on families and society. Anabolic steroids use has been associated with increased aggression and violent behaviour. And although the association between anabolic steroid use and criminal behaviour is still unclear, a recent population-based study in Sweden found that people who had used anabolic steroids were more likely to have been convicted for a criminal offence.
image-20150216-18474-1wb2n65.jpg
‘Roid rage’ in a box. Roberta FToday, anabolic steroids are easily accessible. People can buy anabolic steroids from the internet without having to engage with the traditional sporting communities as was previously the case. This development seems to be attracting different sub-populations of users such as those with underlying mental health problems or vulnerabilities.
There are the stories that crop up in the media of so-called “roid rage” and at the extreme are cases like mass-killer Anders Behring Breivik, who despite his mental health and social problems, easily obtained anabolic steroids from the internet and wrote about them in his “manifesto”, discussed various anabolic steroids and even recommended websites and shops where readers could purchase them.
[h=2]Public perceptions[/h]In a recent experimental study, my colleagues and I investigated the effects of perceived doping on the perceived user’s personality or social image. Participants were randomly invited to rate the personality of four protagonists based on a storyline assigned to each one. There were four variations based on what the protagonist consumed before training: food, anabolic steroids, erythropoietin, and protein powder. Each participant then gave a rating for one of these users or non-user on the five-factor model of personality, a ratings system on openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism.
We found that the non-user was rated or perceived as less neurotic compared to the anabolic steroid and erythropoietin users who had similar high ratings on neuroticism. Neuroticismhas been linked to irritability, anxiety, distress, aggression and violence, and antisocial personality disorder.
Thus, our finding suggests that whether or not a user of these substances actually suffers from these “neurotic” or negative effects, the wider perception is that they do. Taking this into account, use of anabolic steroids actually harms the perception of users' personality and social image.
Most campaigns against anabolic steroids use fear campaigns highlighting the negative consequences on physical and mental health to encourage people to avoid these drugs. But these have been criticised for failing to reflect the experiences of most “healthy” or “healthy-looking” users.
A recent review suggested this approach can be less effective than messages based on social disapproval. Our finding that anabolic steroid use harms the perception of users' personality and social image could be brought to the fore in efforts to counter the rise in use of these drugs.

Using anabolic steroids harms your health and social image

Even though I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids for a healthy person, it would not be a subject that I would even bring up with said person. AAS feature way down the list when compared with other drugs taken by certain members of society. Topping the list is alcohol, followed by heroin & crack cocaine into second and third place.

Overall, alcohol scored 72 – against 55 for heroin and 54 for crack. The most dangerous drugs to their individual users were ranked as heroin, crack and then crystal meth. The most harmful to others were alcohol, heroin and crack in that order.

For overall harm, the other drugs examined ranked as follows: crystal meth (33), cocaine (27), tobacco (26), amphetamine/speed (23), cannabis (20), GHB (18), benzodiazepines (15), ketamine (15), methadone (13), butane (10), ecstasy (9), anabolic steroids (9), LSD (7), buprenorphine (6) and magic mushrooms (5).

_49735645_drugs_comparisons_464gr.jpg
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49735000/gif/_49735645_drugs_comparisons_464gr.gif

Yes, anabolic steroids was way down the list, that is not taking anything away from its potential (and real) harm it causes its users, be it in the short term or the long term as athletes (and recreational users) get older.

I just thought I'd put things in perspective more or less.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/nov/01/alcohol-more-harmful-than-heroin-crack

Last edited:
Well I was going to have one beer tonight but I guess I'm better off going to score some meth. It's in the interests of my health.

Behind closed doors, do as you please. Kill yourself for all society would care! For as long as your behaviour/actions are not affecting others negatively, go ahead and do as you please.

Behind closed doors, do as you please. Kill yourself for all society would care! For as long as your behaviour/actions are not affecting others negatively, go ahead and do as you please.

Kill myself with one beer?

Seriously, on a harm done scale; Alcohol (72), Heroin (55), Crack Cocaine (54), crystal meth (33), cocaine (27), tobacco (26), amphetamine/speed (23), cannabis (20), GHB (18), benzodiazepines (15), ketamine (15), methadone (13), butane (10), ecstasy (9), anabolic steroids (9), LSD (7), buprenorphine (6) and magic mushrooms (5).

That doesn't sound right???

well, how dumb is that chart. alcohol worse than meth.

This must be one of those quantitative studies that I am no good at.

Well I was going to have one beer tonight but I guess I'm better off going to score some meth. It's in the interests of my health.
Why don't you apply this double standard of yours onto yourself Barry. You want to take what I say literally, yet if I was to take what you have written above literally, it would make you sound real foolish now wouldn't it! One beer is not going to kill you no, but then in the interest of your health, you'd better go and score some meth instead. See how foolish and immature this whole thing is beginning to sound. So next time you want to apply a particular standard, make sure you apply it across the board OK!

As far as alcohol being worse than meth, we should take into account that alcohol is abused by a far, far greater number of the population, therefore has a much broader impact on society.

yes, but that does not indicate danger of a drug, only the commonality of its use.

There are sound reasons why ice is illegal and alcohol is not.

As far as alcohol being worse than meth, we should take into account that alcohol is abused by a far, far greater number of the population, therefore has a much broader impact on society.
You make an excellent point here Darkoz. Furthermore, if someone does drink to excess, his intellective faculties and reasoning power may be diminished to such an extent as to place him/her in a vulnerable position as to perhaps try meth (or whatever else they would otherwise not have delved into). Correct me if I'm wrong please Darkoz since I do not drink.

Last edited:
yes, but that does not indicate danger of a drug, only the commonality of its use.

There are sound reasons why ice is illegal and alcohol is not.

This is a very good point. Not only are these other drugs so dangerous themselves, but then they are cut (mixed with) all kinds of other toxins, to improve profits.

You make an excellent point here Darkoz. Furthermore, if someone does drink to excess, his intellective faculties and reasoning power may be diminished to such an extent to place him/her in a vulnerable position as to perhaps try meth (or whatever else they would otherwise not have delved into). Correct me if I'm wrong please Darkoz since I do not drink.
The way I see it Fadi, alcohol is a drug and can impair your judgement, damage your body, and cause you to do things that otherwise you would never do, it's no different than any other drug and the major difference between alcohol and other drugs is that one is legal and the others aren't.

So with alcohol being legal we see it as being acceptable and not as harmful as the other drugs.
More people have killed or have been killed as a direct result of alcohol abuse than all the other drugs combined.

Harms social image?? Not if you're part of the stereo crew brah.. Mega bro points for every cycle completed, yolo

maybe one would should have ice with our meals rather than a nice glass of wine or beer.
No, have the ice with the wine or beer. Alcohol and stims potentiate each other! And once you've had enough of either, the food goes straight in the rubbish bin anyway. :D

The way I see it Fadi, alcohol is a drug and can impair your judgement, damage your body, and cause you to do things that otherwise you would never do, it's no different than any other drug and the major difference between alcohol and other drugs is that one is legal and the others aren't.

So with alcohol being legal we see it as being acceptable and not as harmful as the other drugs.
More people have killed or have been killed as a direct result of alcohol abuse than all the other drugs combined.
Thank you for your prompt and very reasonable reply brother. I'd like to say that I share the same view point as you Sir.

My best friend was killed through a head on accident by a drunk driver at 5am whilst driving to work. That's why I said earlier, if one feels the need to drink, perhaps there should be a law restricting that person to drinking behind closed doors in his private dwelling. Who knows, may be one day that would become law, especially if the government is comfortable with people exercising their right to drink, just not in public (similar to the phase we went through with banning smoking in so many enclosed public arenas).

Why don't you apply this double standard of yours onto yourself Barry. You want to take what I say literally, yet if I was to take what you have written above literally, it would make you sound real foolish now wouldn't it! One beer is not going to kill you no, but then in the interest of your health, you'd better go and score some meth instead. See how foolish and immature this whole thing is beginning to sound. So next time you want to apply a particular standard, make sure you apply it across the board OK!

Do you realise your long winded bullshit ramblings don't make you sound wise. A simple answer will do.

Do you realise your long winded bullshit ramblings don't make you sound wise. A simple answer will do.
No need for insults Barry. I'm sure you can express yourself without resorting to insults. Please point out what you have termed as "bullshit" in my reply to you.

Last edited: