• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jungnaut

YOLO Kunce
First I am going to admit that diet isn’t one of my strong points, since I just eat whatever I feel like, going by sight and feel with foods and just using P:C:F of 40:30:30 as my rough guide for the past year. I have put on size which is what I wanted to do but now at 85kg (give and take), I desire to dial in and fine tune what I put in my mouth, so that I can look sexy.

So I need some help with my macro requirements. My strategy is to follow this for 2 weeks, if it works then I will subtract 500kcals off per day until I get shredded as (hopefully 12 weeks should do the trick).

My Stats:
Height: 183cm
Weight: 85kg
Training goal: Look strong & sexy
Training frequency: 4 times per week, with an extra conditioning day thrown in when I feel like it.

Calories: Harris-Benedict equation is BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) - (6.8 x age). I factor in a multiple of 1.4 (light activity) for off days, and 1.6 (moderate activity) for training days.

Protein: At least 2g/kg, 3g/kg is recommended for better results. I will use 3g/kg

Carbs: 1g/kg off days, 2g/kg training days

Fat: Whatever is left over to make up my calorie target

This results in the following numbers:

Training Day Off Day
Calories 3400 3000
Protein 255 255
Carbs 85 170
Fat 189 182

My first reaction is the fat figures seem a touch high. But then I had a look at my (typical) food intake yesterday, which was:

Brekky: WPI, Creatine, 3 Bananas, Milk. (doubles as PWO since I train in the morning)
Calories: 800, Protein: 57, Carbs: 105, Fat: 18

Post Shake: True Post
Calories: 200, Protein: 23, Carbs: 24, Fat: 0

Lunch: Meat (steak, bacon, or chicken), 4 eggs, 3 pieces fruit/vegies or salad, olive oil (in dressing or cooking meat), OJ
Calories: 1200, Protein: 63, Carbs: 33, Fat: 95

Dinner: Salmon steak, Potatoes or Rice, some Vegies
Calories: 420, Protein: 23, Carbs: 53, Fat: 11

Totals: Calories: 3700, Protein: 206, Carbs: 224, Fats: 218

Oops, I gone way over haha. So I have some work to do in reducing fat and carbs. However, as far as my macro requirements go can I have some critique please? Am I on the right track or what?

Last edited:
You'll get as many different opinions as respondents to this, and everyone's' pov comes from what works for them so you'll certainly have choices!
My initial thoughts are that calories may be around the mark depending on your metabolism, protein is reasonable (I wouldn't go any lower), carbs are too low and fat is too high. I'd halve fat (at least) and double carbs, and on non training days instead of halving maybe decrease carbs by 20% or so if you think it's necessary. And eat more :p I don't put much stock in BMR calculations, I think there are too many variables from day to day, week to week and they can only give you a figure for a specific point in time. They give you a starting point, but you need to figure out what your body needs.

Edit: Sorry [MENTION=10084]Jungnaut[/MENTION]; I missed the bit where you said you wanna' cut so you can look sexy. In that scenario I reckon protein looks good (I wouldn't go any lower), carbs are probably reasonable, I would cut the fat significantly. You could cut carbs to lower cals overall when required but would manipulate fat first, that's some low hanging fruit there. Could I also suggest some sexy lingerie and manscaping so that you feel as as sexy as you look.

Last edited:

Then find ways to cuts your calories based on what you currently eat...

Equals....... More likely to follow 6.months of Dietary discpline.....

Thanks kunces, I think reducing fat and eating more carbs is more realistic. I thought fat was good and carbs bad, maybe for bulking it is but not if I want to be shredded as fark.

Plus I get to eat more cause carbs has less than half the calorific value of fat!

Lol Nazzy that's exactly what I intend to do, of course it takes discipline to eat less than what you're used to, can't go by feel anymore cause my body has got into a habit of enjoying to 4000 kcal, now its 3000-3400..

If you are used to consuming higher Cal's, don't just drop down to 3000 Cal's a day, drop the calls slowly, maybe by 200 a day for a week or two, judge how eight loss is going then drop another 200. This was you will slowly get used to eating less Cals it wont be such a shock and you will have Cal's to drop when your fat loss stalls a little

I always got good results with waving my calories
I shoot for a weekly caloric target and it usually involves a day where I eat next to nothing and a day where I eat a shittonne

I shoot for a weekly caloric target and it usually involves a day where I eat next to nothing and a day where I eat a shittonne

I find this an effective strategy.

I concur, it's the weekly targets that I should be aiming for, not micro managing every meal. That affords me the flexibility to tag along to family dinners and smorgasbords without having to whip out myfitnesspal.

3 bananas for breakfast? you said its pwo but is it? or is it pre workout?

i like there is no bread. i would lower the carbs and increase the healthy fats tbh. some nuts would be nice.

but for a diet to work, it needs to be something you eat already, and your body likes digesting. so choose foods you do eat, and that agree with you.

I like to hit a decent calorie deficit mon- Friday (eg my maintanence is say 3500, and eating 2000 with cardio) then using sat- sun as a refeed period, but keeping calories close to maintanence, but without cardio or training.

I do do this for a mental break, and I only need to keep my cravings/hunger/tiredness at bay for 5 days, then 2 days of food holiday.

@C_T ; I've since noted how high carb a banana is (equivalent to a bowl of rice or pasta if its a biggie!) and have reduced it to just one or none. I like most of my carbs in the morning which is when I train, so brekky doubles as a PWO. What a shame bread is so evil lol, I used to have french toast most days when I was bulking. Or fresh bread with tablespoons of PB on it. YUM

@Davepuppies ; wow that is an aggressive strategy there but I like it. Replace weekend with 'family/friend event days' = sit back and relax a bit without being a full on tard and whipping out the ipad in front of everyone to do some calcs! Not sure if I can go beyond 1000 kcals deficit on my 'other' days and not catabolise my hard earned gainz though.

How active are your days (office work, on your feet, etc)?

How strict are you with sticking to only what's on your list (any snacking)?

Do you know what body fat you're currently at?

Has your weight changed much over the last 12 months?

How active are your days (office work, on your feet, etc)?

How strict are you with sticking to only what's on your list (any snacking)?

Do you know what body fat you're currently at?

Has your weight changed much over the last 12 months?

Yes my work is quite active (loading stock, distributing stock - I'm in retail).

I don't like snacks and don't like constantly munching on things. I can actually fast pretty easy, mind over matter..:rolleyes:

I think my BF% is at 20% now and would dearly love it to be more like 12% (if that is realistic or not I will see in 12 weeks!)

@C_T ; I've since noted how high carb a banana is (equivalent to a bowl of rice or pasta if its a biggie!) and have reduced it to just one or none. I like most of my carbs in the morning which is when I train, so brekky doubles as a PWO. What a shame bread is so evil lol, I used to have french toast most days when I was bulking. Or fresh bread with tablespoons of PB on it. YUM

@Davepuppies ; wow that is an aggressive strategy there but I like it. Replace weekend with 'family/friend event days' = sit back and relax a bit without being a full on tard and whipping out the ipad in front of everyone to do some calcs! Not sure if I can go beyond 1000 kcals deficit on my 'other' days and not catabolise my hard earned gainz though.

I can see it being viewed as a aggressive stratergy, but I look at the weekly defecit, and if I am to have a reprieve and enjoy some reasonable food on a weekend, then my sacrifice is to be very strict for 5 days..... A lot easier knowing I can have more enjoyable foods over the weekend.

i always did this, then restricted my refeed to one big meal on a Sunday as I got leaner. I typically are Maccas till I was sick, and that was enough to keep me strict for the next 6.5 days.

Constant defecit dieting sucks for me, I need something to look forward to!

Yes my work is quite active (loading stock, distributing stock - I'm in retail).

I don't like snacks and don't like constantly munching on things. I can actually fast pretty easy, mind over matter..:rolleyes:

I think my BF% is at 20% now and would dearly love it to be more like 12% (if that is realistic or not I will see in 12 weeks!)

At around 20% body fat, you should completely focus on fat loss while preserving muscle. Being in between and trying to build muscle while cutting to 12% is too much and neither will work.

I would be cutting your calories by 1000 (based on your 3700 figure) honestly. Mostly from fat. Carbs seem ok seeing you're on your feet during work, but you may need to deduct some to reach your calorie target. Cutting out milk and fruit are easy calories that you won't really notice gone.

This is what I would do:
1. Reduce daily calories by 250 a week until you're 1000 below current. Keep training the same.
2. After those 4 weeks, do 20 minutes low intensity cardio 2-3 times a week. Do this for another 4 weeks.
3. In the last 4 weeks double your cardio. Reduce calories by 10% if needed.

At around 20% body fat, you should completely focus on fat loss while preserving muscle. Being in between and trying to build muscle while cutting to 12% is too much and neither will work.

I would be cutting your calories by 1000 (based on your 3700 figure) honestly. Mostly from fat. Carbs seem ok seeing you're on your feet during work, but you may need to deduct some to reach your calorie target. Cutting out milk and fruit are easy calories that you won't really notice gone.

This is what I would do:
1. Reduce daily calories by 250 a week until you're 1000 below current. Keep training the same.
2. After those 4 weeks, do 20 minutes low intensity cardio 2-3 times a week. Do this for another 4 weeks.
3. In the last 4 weeks double your cardio. Reduce calories by 10% if needed.

I agree you need to reduce your calories. Just read your stats, and thinking you have 60-65kgs of fat free mass based on 85kgs, 20% bf etc. the fat free mass is what determine your BMR (as I am sure you already know)
thinking 3700 is wayyyyyyy over the top for fat loss.

2700 as Steve said should see some re composition, but I would be inclined to drop the fruit, or eat it around your training times only, and drop the starchy carbs at dinner.

Dont be scared to calorie cycle, and same with carbs and fat.

Thanks [MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION]; and [MENTION=17825]Davepuppies[/MENTION]; I shall take those points on board for sure. I think it would be quite easy for me to reduce fat and carbs, in that order, progressively. This myfitnesspal app is simply amazing.

One point that concerns me though. And since you guys have done this before, let me ask.. is there a direct relationship between massive calorie deficits and muscle catabolism? Or is it the macros that matter. I am prepared for my strength gains to take a hit, but I want to do everything I can to protect my lean muscle mass.. so I don't end up looking like a malnourished third world child lol..