• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Two points:

1. You said you felt better after reducing your dairy due to lactose. The milk that you are currently drinking, is it of the lactose free kind Jungnaut?

2. Always take into account who is giving you advice or making a suggestion to you. Do they use steroids or are they 100% natural. Do they use certain supplements that may have affected their results one way or the other or do they simply eat food? By following such guidelines, you would be met with much less disappointments along the way.

1. I always drink whole milk, none of the lactose free shizz.. I might give that a try and see if it bloats me up.

2. Yeah true that, I do stay away from taking things to the extreme and consume most of my nutritional needs through real foods (and as unprocessed as possible). And less alcohol, otherwise I can go over a thousand cals and not even know it..:p

Oh cooked
I always measure raw
Seems more logical than guessing and cooking an amount that may or may not be the right amount when cooked

Yep always measure raw. Cooked weight varies too much depending how it was cooked and for how long.

Yes, of course, Raw is the best measurement IF you intend to eat it all. But when it comes to actual serving on the plate? Measure cooked.

Eg, I cooked 1 cup of raw rice today, but it ended up being way too much for me to eat. So I scoop out 100g, weigh it and log that instead.

Oh cooked
I always measure raw
Seems more logical than guessing and cooking an amount that may or may not be the right amount when cooked

Yeah I find it annoying, some brands will give info for cooked quantities, some for raw. I prefer the cooked figure as I'll normally cook up a kilo or so and dish out what I want from there.

Yep always measure raw. Cooked weight varies too much depending how it was cooked and for how long.

I always cook it the same way with the same quantities and have weighed and measured dry and finished quantities many times, and am confident it's spot on. Over my usual cooked quantity you're talking, literally, a few grams difference, which could be as little as steam escaping if you have the lid of for a minute or so more when transferring from rice cooker to container, and when divided by x amount of servings is a miniscule amount.

And, yeah, of course I have data from repeatable, double blind experiments in controlled environments to back this up :rolleyes:

Yes, of course, Raw is the best measurement IF you intend to eat it all. But when it comes to actual serving on the plate? Measure cooked.

Eg, I cooked 1 cup of raw rice today, but it ended up being way too much for me to eat. So I scoop out 100g, weigh it and log that instead.

Simple, measure raw then divide it up after its cooked. I do it all the time with big slow cooker batches.

Simple, measure raw then divide it up after its cooked. I do it all the time with big slow cooker batches.

Some brands will give you the nutritional info for raw some for cooked. If they provide the info for cooked quantities then that's easier than figuring it out raw.

Here I am thinking that I am on a bravo deficit (500kcal) based on 2640kcal target per day. But I have only lost 0.5kg all up! (from 85.5 to 85.0). So I'm thinking the reason for this is:

- My starting weight must have been higher (86 perhaps?)

- My shred calorific target is actually a maintenance target (thanks @Repacked ;). So I will lower it down even more, to 2340kcal per day and see what happens over the next 2 weeks.

- I have been counting food incorrectly (thanks @StrungOut ;). I have been weighing and adding everything into MyFitnessPal, so the calorie figures given for some foods could be lower than the actual amount. Casseroles/stir fries/basically all home cooked meals that I didn't prepare myself are hard to add to MFP!

- My metabolic rate is lower than I imagined (thanks @Headley ;). I told MyFitnessPal that I was 'Very Active'. Now I have changed it to just 'Active'.:rolleyes:

- I have been adding my weight training as 'cardio', burning 400kcal per hour of training. I will stop doing this because I think MFP has already got that covered with 'Active'. :rolleyes:

All of the above? Having said that, I am still free of the bloated feeling that made me want to cut in the first place. No more meat sweats, insane gas explosions after drinking litres of milk, and saved $$ from not needing so many supplements. So I can state that I am about 77% chuffed.

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you eating back the 400cal from weight training?
If so, that could and most likely is your problem right there.
I would also check against another calculator, or you could work out the formula but really it is just a starting point IF Calculator
And yep the whole active vs very active makes a reasonable difference

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you eating back the 400cal from weight training?
Yes, I tend to eat more on my training days, specifically carbs.. And it does add up to at least 400 kcal. Extra potato here, bowl of quinoa here. Not hard to do!

Interesting how the IF calculator gave a closer figure to the MFP one.. roughly 2300 kcals. So I'll stick with that then!

Being active definitely makes a big difference. Most calculators recommend that my TDEE is around 2300 a day. But seeing I sit in an office all day, it's closer to 1700.

Being active definitely makes a big difference. Most calculators recommend that my TDEE is around 2300 a day. But seeing I sit in an office all day, it's closer to 1700.
So what's the correct multiplier in your case? slightly active, moderately active, or the really offensive one.. sedentary? (As if, we are training multiple times a week lol)

I have now changed it to slightly active at the 1.2 multiplier, and do not add my gym training to the activities section. Only when I perform extra cardio on top like going for a bike ride for more than half an hour.

I haven't found any of those calculators accurate. To be honest I haven't tried to dial it in either or tried others. For what they recommend for the 'average' trainer, if sitting down all day, reduce by 20%.

I think the most beneficial thing to do is figure out your maintenance calories for your current lifestyle/activity level. It does take some trail and error, but then you know exactly where you can increase or decrease.

You lift as well
Now government says that a woman needs 2000kcal a day lol
And they are middle aged with desk job
Cooking the food they are about to shovel down their throats is their daily exercise
Government then recommends "healthy" food like lasagne lol

Hippo incoming

You lift as well
Now government says that a woman needs 2000kcal a day lol
And they are middle aged with desk job
Cooking the food they are about to shovel down their throats is their daily exercise
Government then recommends "healthy" food like lasagne lol

Hippo incoming
Yeah but if these fatsos followed their own advice, they wouldn't be get any more hippo.. who is going to get hippo on 2000 kcal a day? But they multiply that figure by like 1.5, reckoning they are very active lol. And eat like you say, lasagne wtf??

Yeah but if these fatsos followed their own advice, they wouldn't be get any more hippo.. who is going to get hippo on 2000 kcal a day? But they multiply that figure by like 1.5, reckoning they are very active lol. And eat like you say, lasagne wtf??

Its on some govt health page. Sedentry women on 2k calorie recommendations.

The thing is the average women working a desk job probably doesn't know what a calorie is, let alone trying to hit a target.