• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Repacked

Punxsutawney resident
golds_gym_athletes_70s.jpg

Who's the dude second from the right? I forgot. Danny Padilla? Looks like Ringo Star.

frank-zane.jpg

Bring back the vac...

Bring back pre 1960s wheat and all its by-products such as breads, rolls, crackers, cookies, biscuits, cakes, donuts, muffins, pancakes (which is an American breakfast staple), waffles, noodles, pie crusts, pasta, ice cream cones, pizza, and cereals.

No, I'm not singling out one and only one issue for the lack of that bodybuilding "vac" that many had back in the day, not to mention flat (as opposed) to distended stomachs that nearly all have today. Yes drugs (or rather the type of drugs) do play and are playing a huge role in what we are and are not seeing on that bodybuilding stage today. But still, nutrition is a big part of a bodybuilder's sport, and since carbs is one of the major (and with some the major) consumed macronutrient, then given enough time, the results are evident of something not so right is (and has been) going on for some time now. Genetically modified wheat began (in Italy I believe back in 1959/60), and was slowly introduced to the whole world.

This may seem trivial, but we've discussed this before on Ausbb, the pullover exercise, which was extremely popular when the "vac" was also very much visible with most bodybuilders of yesteryear. Every little bit help; wheat, drugs, pullovers.....and so many other factors of course.

Bring back pre 1960s wheat and all its by-products .... Genetically modified wheat began (in Italy I believe back in 1959/60), and was slowly introduced to the whole world.

Hi Fadi - could you elaborate on this please? As I understand what you're saying, the problem is not eating wheat products as such, but the wheat from which those products are made. I know that wheat has been genetically changed a lot over the years, but this is mainly to help the farmers (make it yield more, easier to harvest, etc) - but is it that different from the consumer's point of view? It's still mostly starch, and a bit of gluten, which (except for those people who have a biochemical intolerance to gluten) is important mainly for such ultimately trivial things such as the rising properties of bread dough, or the texture of pasta. I would have thought that, once it's beeen chewed up and swallowed, food made from wheat would have much the same nutritional value now as it had fifty years ago.

Hi Fadi - could you elaborate on this please? As I understand what you're saying, the problem is not eating wheat products as such, but the wheat from which those products are made. I know that wheat has been genetically changed a lot over the years, but this is mainly to help the farmers (make it yield more, easier to harvest, etc) - but is it that different from the consumer's point of view? It's still mostly starch, and a bit of gluten, which (except for those people who have a biochemical intolerance to gluten) is important mainly for such ultimately trivial things such as the rising properties of bread dough, or the texture of pasta. I would have thought that, once it's beeen chewed up and swallowed, food made from wheat would have much the same nutritional value now as it had fifty years ago.
Hi Sandin,

Please have a read of one recent study http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...ion=&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S000711451400018X on the subject at your own leisure, and some more of what I've mentioned over here: http://authoritynutrition.com/modern-wheat-health-nightmare/

Furthermore, the stuff we're hearing today from either a close relative or a brother/sister who are complaining of things I haven't even heard of before when growing up, things such as celiac disease, stomach bloating etc. makes you stand up and take note. Here's another study for you which looks a bit less technical: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705319/

You made mention of starch. I don't think our problem with wheat is starch based as it is protein based Sandin. Look, there's no problem eating a sweet potato say, so why the issues with our modern wheat!

Last edited:
Hi Sandin,

Please have a read of one recent study http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...ion=&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S000711451400018X on the subject at your own leisure, and some more of what I've mentioned over here: http://authoritynutrition.com/modern-wheat-health-nightmare/

Furthermore, the stuff we're hearing today from either a close relative or a brother/sister who are complaining of things I haven't even heard of before when growing up, things such as celiac disease, stomach bloating etc. makes you stand up and take note. Here's another study for you which looks a bit less technical: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705319/

You made mention of starch. I don't think our problem with wheat is starch based as it is protein based Sandin. Look, there's no problem eating a sweet potato say, so why the issues with our modern wheat!

Thanks very much Fadi

This does indeed sound quite plausible. I had been thinking too much about the GI aspect of bread and things, rather than the protein angle.

It's certainly possible that proteins have been changed during wheat breeding and improvement, either deliberately, as they affect food processing, or as accidental byproducts of selecting for some other trait.

However, the case certainly isn't proven - one of the scientific studies you cite compares modern wheat with Triticum turgidum tiranicum, from which it would have been separate for at least several thousand years; the other paper talks about all the physiological problems that stuff in cereal grains might cause. In neither of them is today's wheat compared with 1950 wheat.

The Authority Nutrition article is more to the point - I'll dig into the stuff it links to at the Rothamstead site (Broadbalk Wheat Experiment) when I have the time.

BTW - off topic, but suggested by the bit about modern bread-making methods in the Authority Nutrition article - does anyone here eat wheat-germ? I was brought up to have this stuff by my mother (who was into nutritional health long before it was fashionable). I had been buying it from supermarkets, where you used to find it next to the generic brand rolled oats, in both Coles and W where it was pretty cheap. About a year ago Woolworths stopped selling it, and Coles moved it to the healthfood area, put it in new packaging, and wacked the price up. Sometimes you can find it in health-food shops, but not often - last time I asked, the sales girl didn't know what I was talking about.