• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The Ideal Amount Of Sleep For Each Age Group, According To The Experts

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
It seems like a question that’s as old as time itself: “How much sleep do I really need?” The non-profitNational Sleep Foundation and a panel of 18 prominent medical scientists and researchers reviewed over 300 sleep studies to try and finally answer it.

The short answer is, of course, “it depends”. There’s no perfect sleep number that can fit every person, but The National Sleep Foundation’s major report — recently published in their own Sleep Health Journal— has revealed an updated list of sleep duration recommendations for all age groups. Here are the recommendations:

• Newborns (0-3 months): 14-17 hours each day.
  • Infants (4-11 months): 12-15 hours each day.
  • Toddlers (1-2 years): 11-14 hours each day.
  • Preschoolers (3-5): 10-13 hours each day.
  • School age children (6-13): 9-11 hours each day.
  • Teenagers (14-17): 8-10 hours each day.
  • Younger adults (18-25): 7-9 hours each day.
  • Adults (26-64): 7-9 hours each day.
  • Older adults (65+): 7-8 hours each day.
For the largest age range, the adults, the recommended sleep duration has remained unchanged, which makes sense considering that seven hours of sleep may be the sweet spot for many in that range. The report did, however, add two new categories — younger adults and older adults — and the report also recommends a little more sleep across the board to younger individuals. Getting a good night’s rest isn’t always as easy as it feels like it should be, but it can be very important for your health, so make sure you’re getting the sleep you need. You can learn more about the report by checking out the link below.
National Sleep Foundation’s sleep time duration recommendations: methodology and results [Sleep Health Journal via Science Daily]

I feel pretty good with 6 or 8, if it's closer to 7 I feel like death for some reason. I reckon most people on here would need more than the average though

Theses days I need long sleeps, can only put it down to the days we used regularly start a bender on Friday, come home on Sunday morning and sleep till Monday morning.
Then come home from work, straight to sleep till Tue morning, sort of developed a fucked pattern and the sleep abnormality stayed on. Fucked it up I think.

Haven't had more than 6 hours sleep per night for as long as I can remember. Normally only 4-5. I usually cheat with half hour nana nap in the afternoons though.

I'm fucked with 4 hours or less sleep, especially after a couple of nights in a row. That's when I give myself the midas touch and k-pin myself to bed so hard that I am knocked out for at least a good 8 hours. "Sweet lullabies, here I come!" as I dive headfirst into bed and the lights are out even before my head smashes into the pillow.

But lately it's been pretty cruisey with 7-8 hours. When I get the occasional magical 9 hours I wake up and jump out of bed feeling like a winning gazelle! That is awesome to the max.

Haven't had more than 6 hours sleep per night for as long as I can remember. Normally only 4-5. I usually cheat with half hour nana nap in the afternoons though.
Don't know how you do it vonman, I coulldn't function with that little sleep

Fuark, I'm the same, need my eight hours. Always envy people who only need 5 or 6 hours. I don't sleep to failure though...

the last 3 or 4 nights I have been running on between 3 and 5 hrs sleep due to my lovely daughter.......completely shattered today, may not last till the end....

I'm 6-7, always tired but I just can't go to sleep before 10

I was like this. Always tired no matter how many hours I slept. Until I found out I had sleep apnea. I went in and completed a sleep study.
Every hour I was holding my breath between 17 and 45 seconds......I was doing this on average 19 to 22 times an hour. Basically starving myself of oxygen for about 7 minutes per hour. They said I was high risk and I would likely have had a stroke or some heart disease with in 5 years if I hadn't had picked up the problem.

I think the best way to get a good nights sleep is to work hard through out the day. If you work hard and, of course, work out.

Whats wrong with holding your breath for 17 seconds? 45 is a bit long sure, but 17 seconds there's still plenty of oxygen for your lungs to absorb so no chance of autoero asphyxiation there

A lot if you are doing it in your sleep and it effects your quality of sleep and life. The most common is obstructive apnea where your airway collapses so it's not always the case of holding your breath.

A lot if you are doing in your sleep and it effects your quality of sleep and life. The most common is obstructive apnea where your airway collapses so it's not always the case of holding your breath.

Shit I get that.
I can literally feel my throat collapsing and missus says I snore ridiculously loud, like a chainsaw.
What should I do?
Is there a fix?
is it really risky? (Not sure how)