• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

do you go to failure on the last set of each exercise?

This is something I've introduced recently and I've found it great for pushing through plateaus.

No.

I concentrate on total volume over a session, week, month etc. Going to absolute failure (like I have done in the past) was counter productive.

The only thing I actually get close to failure on would be small isolation exercises like curls and tricep extensions.

I'll only do it on machines, never on compounds. Fuck doing the roll of shame at the bench and crawling out of the squat rack on all fours like a phag every workout lol.

Depends on your goals.

I think this is right.

Oly lifts - No, don't go to failure.

Strength training - No, need to keep speed up don't you.

Bodybuilding - Yes, as long as still getting enough volume.

Surely couldn't hurt, right?

It's pretty simple, the workout that you actually do, the one where you give it your all will do much more for you than the workout you don't do.

It can work really well for some, and can be a disaster for others, one thing to keep track of is the time it takes to recover between workouts, if you are going to go to fatigue, or failure, you got to do it right, and the workout must be kept brief, no choice really.

First you need to define "failure" (how it's done)

Done properly most will need at least two days to recover, (the whole body), if you don't you will regress 100% guaranteed.

Personally I avoid going to failure, I would rather go for a new PR, that way you are training to succeed rather that practising to fail.

This discussion has been had in the past. Personally I think going to failure is bad for your state of mind, as it reinforces the idea that failing to complete a lift is OK, as such you are effectively training your body and mind that it is OK to fail.

I think a workout should be completed on a positive note (a successful lift) rather than a negative (a failed lift).

Personally I avoid going to failure, I would rather go for a new PR, that way you are training to succeed rather that practising to fail.

This discussion has been had in the past. Personally I think going to failure is bad for your state of mind, as it reinforces the idea that failing to complete a lift is OK, as such you are effectively training your body and mind that it is OK to fail.

I think a workout should be completed on a positive note (a successful lift) rather than a negative (a failed lift).

Welcome back Big Mick.

I gotta disagree with you Mick. I think going to failure is great for the state of mind, it builds intestinal fortitude. I dislike having to pull up one rep shy of failure (but do at times to keep volume up).

Fook me, if it was a successful way to train I'd take every set to absolute screaming your tits off shaking like a epileptic losing bowel control failure, just for the mental toughness it breeds. But its not the best way to train.

I only lift the bar, I never lower it, because the negative portion of the rep teaches me to be negative.
i lift fast to make me fast also...

You say the wackiest things Micky

When training with lighter weights and higher reps going for pump I think going to failure can be great, however when training for strength increases using higher weight and low reps stopping short of failure and completely the lifts properly I seem to get better results.

Welcome back Big Mick.

I gotta disagree with you Mick. I think going to failure is great for the state of mind, it builds intestinal fortitude. I dislike having to pull up one rep shy of failure (but do at times to keep volume up).

Fook me, if it was a successful way to train I'd take every set to absolute screaming your tits off shaking like a epileptic losing bowel control failure, just for the mental toughness it breeds. But its not the best way to train.

You can still be screaming and shaking, but complete that last rep IMO. Not going to failure is not the easy way out as some might think, as a matter of fact keeping yourself on the edge of failure, then rest and repeat will IMO give much better results and more volume.

Mental toughness can be viewed in many ways I guess, I still think ending your workout on a positive, such as an extra rep, and extra few pounds lifted, a new PR will have better long term results that going to failure.

Personally I rather practice to succeed than practice to fail.

Last edited:
I think this is right.

Oly lifts - No, don't go to failure.

Strength training - No, need to keep speed up don't you.

Bodybuilding - Yes, as long as still getting enough volume.

I tend to agree with this, with some body building stuff it might be OK as they are training for looks rather than successfully completing a certain lift or lifting a certain weight for the sake of achieving the lift.