• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Research shows push-ups equal bench press for muscle growth

I buy it, I have seen guys just do pushups for months and come back and do a pb bench.

Very similar exercise, except one has resistance.

If you do pushups explosively, and overload muscle, should make muscles stronger.

Been doing banded pushups lately, don't mind them but wouldn't replace bench altogether with it

So if I bench press a bench press then it should increase my bench press?
Men's Health is generally full of shit in my opinion

herschal walker never did weights, but benched 370 pounds in a football test just training pushup and chin-ups for upper body.

true story.

No discussion of bodyweight exercise would be complete without mentioning Herschel Walker, the legendary running back for the Dallas Cowboys. Walker did not have access to weights when he was young, so he did thousands of pushups, situps, and chin-ups daily. Legend has it that he was able to bench press 370 pounds the first time he tried at a bodyweight of 225 pounds. For his NFL strength test he was able to bench press 225 pounds for 24 repetitions in one set. It is astonishing to realize that he developed this level of strength by doing calisthenics and never using barbells.

http://www.medibid.com/blog/2013/03...g-strong-and-fit-weightlifting-is-over-rated/

yes, he had great genes, but he was no good at sport before he started his exercise regime.

Saw this on an ESPN doco on him.

How the fuck do they manage to spew out a 102 page magazine every month?? Now I know. By recycling and rehashing articles like this, along with the obligatory '10 days to beach hulk erection like abs' and '6 sex moves your girlfriend wishes you know about'.

How the fuck do they manage to spew out a 102 page magazine every month?? Now I know. By recycling and rehashing articles like this, along with the obligatory '10 days to beach hulk erection like abs' and '6 sex moves your girlfriend wishes you know about'.

Friggin' this... I hate this piece of chit 'mag-a-zine' with a passion.

Some phag on the cover smiling like he's just got his end away into Elton Johns dirt passage and articles showing you how to get 'beach ready (ffs)' by doing exercises with your phucking suitcase (because when you're away, there are no gyms ever... anywhere. And you wouldn't feel like a complete twat when house-keeping walk in to find you humping your Samsonite.

Kuuunce!!!

I'm giving up benching (for a while anyway) and focus on dips, cable cross overs, flyes and push ups once chest fatigued. I doubt my chest will shrink.

You need a chest in order for it to shrink [emoji13]

read the strength theory page, much more detail.

I used to do band pushups as a bench assistance exercise as my shoulders liked it more.

This is good news to me as I still can't bench properly but I have just started doing pushups again and feeling much better than bench.

One thing though, specificity. The more you do something, the better you get at it. On less experienced people, they can probably get some good carryover but if you are benching 200kg or something crazy I highly doubt even a VERY heavily banded pushup is going to prepare you for getting under that sort of weight.