• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Fuck people over complicated shit.
I just put the bar across the traps. Keep neutral head position and descend.
If you have to round your back to get the bar up is too fucken heavy.

You'll never be rich with that attitude! :p

I don't aspire to be rich. I aspire to be the best I can and take whatever comes with that. ?

I think expanding on what Fadi was saying before
Squats are easy if everything works fine

Warm-up and cueing should be based on moving correctly
I always do the same warm up, every day

One legged romanian deadlift, reaching far back with my leg and pushing hips right through
Bulgarian split squat, keeping shin vertical and pushing hips right through
Ab wheel rollouts
Hip airplanes

If anything feels difficult then I repeat it again at the end. After this I am ready to squat and pull. Most people after doing this will have correct movement down and will be able to just screw the feet into the floor unhinge at the hips then show me their nuts

Just one set of each of the above using a light weight I preumse? How about foam rolling, do you rumble roll the IT band and adductors before do hip circles etc?

Fuck people over complicated shit.
I just put the bar across the traps. Keep neutral head position and descend.
If you have to round your back to get the bar up is too fucken heavy.
Your subtle lightheartedness never fails to put a smile on my face...thank you Adrian :)

What I'd like to know is whether there is any substance to his statement that the spine is in a stronger/safer anatomical position when bent over as opposed to upright.
I don't think so, no. And I get most people to squat that way, just not for most of the reasons he says. Of low, high and front squats, the low is the most difficult to perform and coach properly. This is one thing that makes it good for newbies, mastering a difficult challenge on day one helps them want to come back. Other aspect is, most people come in all hunched over, doing the low-bar properly stretches out the tight pecs/shoulders, and makes them tighten up the weak upper back. So it's good for newbies. What's good for people already strong might be something else, but as I always remind people: Starting Strength. Most people forget that, including SS coaches and Rip.

I don't think anything is as important as consistency, just keep showing up and lifting. Lots of people make a big deal out of these sorts of differences, playing their gurus off each-other.

Rippetoe says, "low-bar back squat."
4 million WL coaches say, "high-bar back squat."
Dan John says, "barbell front squat."
Pavel Tstatsouline says, "goblet squat."

You could argue about their differences, but what do they have in common? You have to squat. So to my mind, that is where the real truth is.

I had a guy come to me wanting to learn the low-bar, he'd been doing high-bar. I said, "You already squat 140kg for work sets, forget it, keep doing what you're doing." He insisted, we tried it, it hurt his shoulder, old injury there. "Keep doing high-bar," I said.
"But -"
"No, seriously."
I get most newbies to low-bar, but I don't think it's a big deal, and if you're doing something else and it's working, why fuck with it. Really, just squat.

Just one set of each of the above using a light weight I preumse? How about foam rolling, do you rumble roll the IT band and adductors before do hip circles etc?

IT band won't need stretching after this I promise
Foam roll on off days if you have to

the more i listen to mark bell's supertraining, the more i realise everyone squats different, and THATS OK!!

instead of instructionals with prescribed mechanics when they don't take into effect every person has different mobility and mechanics.