• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The squat is more of a endocrine stimulator, squat first to stimulate hormones, do specific exercises full ROM to develop flexibility

I like this.. which exercises would be best to work in with the squat to develop this full ROM capability? Is the weighted lunge one of them?

I like this.. which exercises would be best to work in with the squat to develop this full ROM capability? Is the weighted lunge one of them?

Leg extension
leg press
squat
leg curl
SLDL
the pace at which you move between each exercise is key

uni-lateral leg work is a great way to build the thigh if the weight is heavy, it lessons the load on the spine, the way you see them done at gyms is stupidity and will garner nil result.

Leg extension
leg press
squat
leg curl
SLDL
the pace at which you move between each exercise is key

uni-lateral leg work is a great way to build the thigh if the weight is heavy, it lessons the load on the spine, the way you see them done at gyms is stupidity and will garner nil result.

Rightio, let me see if I am on the same wavelength here. Are those exercises above listed in the order that they should be done (I notice squat nested perfectly in the middle there)? What pace are you suggesting to move between these exercises, is there a suggested protocol? I am imagining a pseudo super set here with one set encompassing all the above with minimal rest in between (only as long as it takes to move from one to next)

Finally I don't get how does heavy weight uni lateral leg work (like a lunge for example) lesson the load on the spine - compared with what - bodyweight? By all means don't follow how the gym rats (and some PT's lol) do it. Wobbling all over the place with the backs so far forward its a back extension... nah screw that.

Rightio, let me see if I am on the same wavelength here. Are those exercises above listed in the order that they should be done (I notice squat nested perfectly in the middle there)? What pace are you suggesting to move between these exercises, is there a suggested protocol? I am imagining a pseudo super set here with one set encompassing all the above with minimal rest in between (only as long as it takes to move from one to next)

Finally I don't get how does heavy weight uni lateral leg work (like a lunge for example) lesson the load on the spine - compared with what - bodyweight? By all means don't follow how the gym rats (and some PT's lol) do it. Wobbling all over the place with the backs so far forward its a back extension... nah screw that.

Any order you like, the idea is to (in a workout) improve the flexibility (strength) of the muscle worked, ideally these exercises and variations of should be included along with exercises working the upper body.

The cadence should be controlled; no momentum, pause in the contracted position, slowly lower to full stretch, no pause.

Rest between sets should be long enough to recover, the duration will lessen as conditioning improves over time.

Do this and you're achieving the same effect the squat produces, with the added advantage of strengthen muscles through a greater ROM, that the squat cannot do.

There is less flexion and extension of the lumber doing lunges, this exercise also has it's limitations.

T-Nation Mark Rippetoe article

Squat Mechanics: A Deep Analysis

• You may have heard that you must stay upright when you squat, with as vertical a back angle as possible. You've heard wrong. Think "rigid," not "vertical."
I don't think anything or tell anyone anything. I haven't told any of my daughters how to squat, and my latest production who is 2 1/2 years old now, squats perfectly every time I see her getting into that deep squat position (and very comfortably staying there I might add)....as part of her daily activities.

The only time I would open my mouth to give instructions, is when (and only when) I see that center line of gravity violated by the squatter. He feels it and I know it when this occurs, and as long as this is corrected before moving onto anything more than either a broom stick or an empty bar, then all should be fine.

Mark Rippetoe doesn't like it when he hears people instructing others that you must stay upright when you squat, with as vertical a back angle as possible. He prefers to say: Think "rigid," not "vertical." I prefer to say none of that, since rigid is a given, and vertical or otherwise depends on the length of your femur and torso.

Squat_Bar_Placement[1].jpg

I don't think anything or tell anyone anything. I haven't told any of my daughters how to squat, and my latest production who is 2 1/2 years old now, squats perfectly every time I see her getting into that deep squat position (and very comfortably staying there I might add)....as part of her daily activities.

The only time I would open my mouth to give instructions, is when (and only when) I see that center line of gravity violated by the squatter. He feels it and I know it when this occurs, and as long as this is corrected before moving onto anything more than either a broom stick or an empty bar, then all should be fine.

Mark Rippetoe doesn't like it when he hears people instructing others that you must stay upright when you squat, with as vertical a back angle as possible. He prefers to say: Think "rigid," not "vertical." I prefer to say none of that, since rigid is a given, and vertical or otherwise depends on the length of your femur and torso.

I coach a lot of people and it's not really like that at all. People forget how they used to move as kids.
First thing I teach is correct breathing and bracing. Most people are used to anterior loading which is why they deadlift more than they squat
After then a few sets of isolation exercises for the glutes, hamstrings, quads and abs (working around the hips)

Rest is built from the ground up. Grip the floor with your feet, twist apart if you're a narrow stance to externally rotate the femurs. Spread the floor apart if you squat wide stance
Deep breath in, do not let the collar bone rise, draw ribcage down
Squeeze down on the bar like you're doing a lat pulldown

Then sit back and "show me your nuts"

I coach a lot of people and it's not really like that at all. People forget how they used to move as kids.
First thing I teach is correct breathing and bracing. Most people are used to anterior loading which is why they deadlift more than they squat
After then a few sets of isolation exercises for the glutes, hamstrings, quads and abs (working around the hips)

Rest is built from the ground up. Grip the floor with your feet, twist apart if you're a narrow stance to externally rotate the femurs. Spread the floor apart if you squat wide stance
Deep breath in, do not let the collar bone rise, draw ribcage down
Squeeze down on the bar like you're doing a lat pulldown

Then sit back and "show me your nuts"
Thank God my English wasn't great back in 1980, as I don't remember ever been given instruction on how I should behave when squatting. My philosophy is the less you say the better it is. Or put in another way; say only what is most appropriate and no more. Having said that, we all perceive what we're taught differently, hence we opt to also teach differently.

Can you clarify for me, this common cue pull the bar over your back or as you put it pull down- if your pulling down on the bar it counteracts you upward momentum. This has often made me scratch my head.

I with Fadi on this.
the squat is a tricky one, three rotational movements moving a bar in a straight line, a persons got to find their right groove, start light and over years slowly add KG's to the bar.

I was once like getting into all the points and queues, that's fraught with danger.
also, the idea that we've lost the art to squat is poppy-cock as well.

The only worthwhile squat is a full squat, but I digress.

Can you clarify for me, this common cue pull the bar over your back or as you put it pull down- if your pulling down on the bar it counteracts you upward momentum. This has often made me scratch my head.

keep scratching, it's a cue to engage the muscles of the back, to maintian the natural curvatures of the spine.

I like the cues 'squeeze the shoulder blades together' , and 'drive elbows down' better than 'pull bar over me shoulder'.

I like the cues 'squeeze the shoulder blades together' , and 'drive elbows down' better than 'pull bar over me shoulder'.

Same. But the end result is tensing your muscles in your upper back so the bar is locked in.

Thank God my English wasn't great back in 1980, as I don't remember ever been given instruction on how I should behave when squatting. My philosophy is the less you say the better it is. Or put in another way; say only what is most appropriate and no more. Having said that, we all perceive what we're taught differently, hence we opt to also teach differently.

You were an athlete from an early age though
Sedentary folk are different, I never had to think my way through lifts either and have great spacial awareness. Most people don't

Nah because you're pulling with your hands and pushing with your legs lol
But anyway, the lats tie in the upper back. Doing this will stop it caving forwards