• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Good post Bazza. Some of the best lifting advice I've gotten is from smallish light blokes who've been grinding it out and working hard for 10 years. I've also seen shitters who look very aesthetic but are weak as fuck and spout broscience constantly.

Don't even get me started on roiding manlets :D

Good advice is good advice.

I listen to anyone regardless of lifts, wealth or title.

I learn from everyone about a whole lot of matters.

like is said before, I knew this 75 year old who told me back in early 1980s that lifters should squat down when jerking. We laughed at him, and he died before it happened.

gerry, you will be pleased to know he never did weightlifting, he was a distance running coach. He was also a communist.

But fuck he had every right to offer an informed opinion, and one that was proven correct.

I am not sure whether NZ is a democracy, but here is oz we respect our right to an opinion, even if we cannot deadlift 300kg.

i reckon it matters here dude.it shows a practical side to the hypotheticals.who would you listen to more about deadlifting?the 200 kg deadlifter or the 300 kger?

Neither.

the 200kg hitched dead lifter is probably a cross-fitter therefore useless.

the 300kg hitched dead lifter is probably a fat retard who can't bench.

I for one am not sure.

What exactly are they?

OK so far we've got

P.A. stricter everything, lifts and testing and no equipment. No loud music.

G.P.C. not as strict lifts and equipment. No testing. Music.

CAPO not strict lifts, equipped and non equipped Comps. Not tested.

Aha. Looking a the raw grading scales for GPC and PA there's not much difference.

Take away 20-30kg for the super knee wraps and 20kg for the Texas Deadlift bar and PA grading scale actually looks a bit tougher in some areas.

I wouldn't say 20kg for the deadlift bar at all.
I've done 270kg on an Eleiko and 272.5 on a Texas

Dafuq is goin' on here? I am away for one day after getting sidetracked when I googled "Krissy Mae Cagney" and look what happens.

Dunno why people say PA events have pussy music. It depends entirely on who is the DJ for the day. Lots of skin peeling music if the right person is there. They just have the process where there is no music during the actual lift. It helps with the reffing I guess. I have been to events with no music, events with bad music and events with epic music.

Weigh in with PA is 2 hours, sometimes 1 1/2 hours so dehydrating then gaining back 10-15kg does not happen.

Dunno why people say PA has stricter rules for squatting. The feds all have the same rules, as far as I know. Hip crease below the top of the knee. They just have shitty judges who either want "their boy" to make a lift count or are afraid to red light a big name on the platform or maybe just coz they suck at judging.

Differences in squats is that PA always walk out, no monolift. Raw is raw, knee sleeves only. Other feds allow wraps and/or use a monolift. It makes a big difference to not walk out a weight. You try keeping internal pressure while walking out then waiting for the squat signal with 200, 300 or 400kg on your back.

Bench press differences is that with PA you must maintain contact with the bench with the back of your head and your hips at all times once the "down" signal is called. Plus you must have the heel and toe in contact with the floor with no foot movement at all. The pause can be a bit too long with PA because the rules talk about pausing "under control", so no shaking or moving while on the chest. Also, no sinking of the bar into the chest after the "press" command. Compare that to the springboard Dan Green style bench press.

With deads you must maintain control of the bar on the way down, after looking out knees, hips and shoulders. No dropping the bar.

All lifts are done with the same stiff bar, not the thicker squat bars or bendy deadlift bars that give you a few more cm before the weights come off the floor. Similar to having the barbell on 5cm blocks.

Geared lifting is single ply only, with knee wraps. None of that "I can unrack 500kg" horse shit lifts with triple ply, multi garment lifting with half squats after a 24 hour weigh in.

In PA there are age categories in 10 year blocks. Other feds have 5 year blocks over 40. In the US I have heard of 35+ classes as well. Dunno about here.

In PA weight classes match oly lifting now, with the extra 120+ class as well. If you are fretty that someone can turn up, lift and get a medal with no competition in their age category, well fukmedead. So what. You can be running last in the Formula 1 and win if everyone else spins off. Go Steven Bradbury, Australia's greatest sportsman.

Frankly, I have not had any problems with politics in PA. I am sure that they are there, they would be in ALL the feds because humans are involved. I pay my membership fee, I turn up, I lift, I go home after helping to pack up.

It's not more expensive to compete in PA, as long as you buy the right gear first time. Yes, it's a pisser having limited gear choices, but there you go. Don't buy shit from Rebel Sports Warehouse.

Drug testing: PA is drug tested. This, in reality, is a crap shoot. You can compete for 10 years and never get tested. Or you can get tested on your first comp. If you are in an international comp and win a class or set a world record you will get tested for certain (but if you are a masters lifter it's not mandatory, you are just in the mix with the random testees).

Other feds in Oz: There is no testing. Full stop. End of discussion. Make of that as you will. That does not mean that every lifter in PA is "clean" or that every non PA lifter is "not clean". It just means that in PA you will, sooner or later (sooner if you are good at it) get tested. In other feds, you never will.

Why do I lift with PA? Cos the comps are held 10-20 min away and not 1 1/2 hour drive to Carrum Downs. Nationals are always in Melbourne and at worst I will have to go to Sydney for an international event, but the chances of that are slim.

I'm sure there are other differences. Bottom line is that the only people who have any real credibility in powerlifting are those that have walked out onto the platform and put their shit on the line. If you have never competed, you are a farmer living in Sparta. No offence intended. If you have competed, then you are an iron brother, no matter what fed you are in.

Last edited:
When I mentioned cost of competing, the fact that you have to become a financial member of PA and then pay an entry fee on top of it (also bearing in mind that affiliates cannot run unofficial comps). I had this discussion with the guys at my local one because I reckon more people would compete if they didn't need to be PA members or could do a novice comp, but no can do. Also can't compete with or associate with other feds. Didn't put me off, but it can be hard to convince other people.

All the equipment I've bought so far is some deadlift slippers and chalk, don't use knee sleeves, belt or anything like that yet, and equipped really doesn't float my goat. It would be a good way to win easy medals though :D