• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Touch and go bench versus pause - strength gains

canned tuna

GDay

Wondering how you guys have found touch and go benching as a tool in bringing up your strict comp bench? Versus training paused exclusively

Do you find the loss in carryover gets in the way of its value?

Or simply a good way to build the base of a bigger comp bench?

I've trained paused only for over 6 months, just keeping up with a slow progressive system of +2.5kg per month (minus injury downtime)
One periodised heavy day, one speed day

I wouldnt say I'm at a brick wall in progression, just frustrated with an injury setback, so I want to try jump back up a bit(injury is rehabbed away)

Sitting on a 1rm of about 110kg paused. So beginner/intermediate level

Thanks in advance

I do both. It's like using lifting straps for deadlift. If it helps you handle a heavier weight, go for it.

With paused bench I tend to pause just about everything. But if I am going for a new max weight or a new max for reps, I just touch and go. The idea is to get the weight pressed, no matter what, or getting the reps in, no matter what. Once you have worked with the new max for a while you can go back to doing paused with that weight as you gain strength.

All my warmups and working sets up to the last set are all paused.

For the last month I have been cruising after my last comp, letting joints heal and generally have a break from max work. Everything has been paused. From this week I am 13 weeks out from Nationals so will start heavy training again where I will incorporate touch and go. I will also, for the first few weeks, break out the slingshot to get the feel for much heavier weights.

Ok that sounds pretty good, come to think of it it's basically how I got to build the base of 100 paused
Thanks for your reply mate!

Nathan jones, one of Australia's top lifters in recent years (PA, GPC and CAPO), told me he always does one paused rep each set, can't recall if its was first or last rep (think it was first).

He has benched 200kg raw.

I've never been to a meet where I've had to pause more than 1 rep so I just pause the first

I've never been to a meet where I've had to pause more than 1 rep so I just pause the first

Yerp. A few times guys at the gym have asked me, "how much can you bench". I tell them whatever and they say, "how many reps bro?"

I mean, wtf. right?

Nope.

If you are asking about maxes, it is pretty clear that that would be the most you can move for 1 rep.

How much can I squat.
60kg.
how many reps?

Does that explain much of my maximum strength?

Re OP's question: I always pause the first rep of every set and Tng from there. I've never done all reps paused but as I understand it it would help with upper back stability.

Nope.

If you are asking about maxes, it is pretty clear that that would be the most you can move for 1 rep.

How much can I squat.
60kg.
how many reps?

Does that explain much of my maximum strength?

Re OP's question: I always pause the first rep of every set and Tng from there. I've never done all reps paused but as I understand it it would help with upper back stability.

I've been doing a lot of ring dips lately and they have made the bottom end of the bench press and pausing reps a fucking joke