• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bench press vs pendlay rows

I don't like any of the standing rows. As you try and increase weight they just turn into a bar hump and you can't tell if you got stronger or just cheating more. I prefer chest supported.

Spot-on

A bent over row pendlay style is the real deal.

I can bench 105, can pendlay row 100x6. (no bar humping I don't think Bazza :p) Not surprising though with my non existent pecs haha.

I rarely row. Rarely.
Zero issues with shoulders ever.
I can pendlay row 100x3 though on the rare occasion they happen. Bench 125 or about 100x6-7

I like the pad much better when working back. have never liked bent overs or T-bars. going heavy and keeping good form too hard for me on these exercises.

Maybe if we are talking chest supported rows here then that would make total sense. A Pendlay Row isn't a fair comparison because of the isometric hold factor your posterior chain has to endure. In that sense the bench is lot easier, lying there on a comfy bench missionary style with the weight over you. Hence it is my opinion that if your pendlay row is at least as good as your military press than you are doing quite well.

Id think your pendlay row should be quite a bit better than your press imo.
100kg vs 72.5 for me. But i am pretty shit at press.

I've never been good at barbell rows. My barbell rows are about 70% of my bench press. I don't see that balance shifting any time soon. My cable rows are a little stronger than my bench press. If I tried a 1RM pull up, the added weight plus my body would be pretty close to my bench press 1RM.

I dont understand, the whole back is supported by the bench during the press but a bent over row is relying on your spine not folding in half.

If the chest is supported then yeah, id say the 2 lifts should be close but a pendlay row, no chance.

I dont understand, the whole back is supported by the bench during the press but a bent over row is relying on your spine not folding in half.

If the chest is supported then yeah, id say the 2 lifts should be close but a pendlay row, no chance.
Ive strictly pendlay rowed 100kg. When i did that, my bench was about 115.