• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Farmers Walk

BrisVegasGhost

Elite Member
I have never done this exercise.

How far/distance do you normally carry these for. I was thinking about making a set.
Would this exercise help increase your grip strength?

Thoughts from people who use these.

Cheers

Go as heavy and as far as you can, make it progressive.
take big steps, keep your shoulders back if it falls out of your hands just pick it up and keep going, intensity of work is the key and best done as a finisher exercise after a workout.

What diameter handle is on yours... 28 to 30mm I presume would be standard?

I think im gonna start doing these to help get my strength back in my hands

What diameter handle is on yours... 28 to 30mm I presume would be standard?

I think im gonna start doing these to help get my strength back in my hands

If I were in your position, I'd ask the doctor about this.

The best handle for you now might be different from the best handle for you with an un-injured hand - and you might need to modify it as your hand gets better.

If I were in your position, I'd ask the doctor about this.

The best handle for you now might be different from the best handle for you with an un-injured hand - and you might need to modify it as your hand gets better.

I won't be doing these for another couple of weeks. Then my hand therapist said I can try to increase my hand usage to my comfort level/weight etc. Everything is fully healed at this stage apart from the nerve which will take a while to grow back

In my garage at the moment making a pair of farmers. Ended up using 30diameter for the handles.

Cheers

I wanna know at what point would you consider the termination point of the walk to be (to measure progress etc). When you ultimately drop the load, or as the first of your fingers become unstuck on the load which gravity is prying it out of??

This is important, cuz I can be strolling along with just my pinky holding my load and still call it a farmer's walk otherwise.

I wanna know at what point would you consider the termination point of the walk to be (to measure progress etc). When you ultimately drop the load, or as the first of your fingers become unstuck on the load which gravity is prying it out of??

This is important, cuz I can be strolling along with just my pinky holding my load and still call it a farmer's walk otherwise.

Has to be dropped doesnt it?

If you carry the load with one finger its probably time to increase the weight.

I probably wouldnt train it to failure like that.
Just train it over say 20m at a weight you can do for a decent speed, the maintain same speed while increasing the weight gradually.

I probably wouldnt train it to failure like that.
Just train it over say 20m at a weight you can do for a decent speed, the maintain same speed while increasing the weight gradually.

The last 3 metres is always the funniest - pinky quivering, dumbell 5 degrees shy from vertical, fingers desperately grappling onto slippery sweat handles and the all important loud victory holler as you set them down at the finish line.

I normally do 15m at a time pretty heavy. About 80% of my max deadlift in total.

One time at commercial gym, I was bored and wanted to do a grip strength test. Got 2 20kg plates and walked on the treadmill for 300m. That was pretty tough by the end.

the idea is not to let it drop

If you're holding 60kg with your pinky, I'd like to see that.

Bit of trivia for you, in case you or others haven't come across this before. There's a group called the International All Round Weightlifting Association (IAWA) that runs contests for all sorts of unusual lifts. E.g. Single hand deadlift, steinborn lift, zercher lift, strict curl.. all sorts of things.

The little finger lift is something that they do have a record for.

Heaviest little finger lift I can see is 89.6 kg.

The rules aren't listed but I'd expect it to be a partial deadlift, just enough to get it off the ground.

http://www.havengym.org.uk/PDF/World_Group_14.pdf

Did this course called move for life, nothing to do with weight lifting, was a workplace safety / injury prevention course.
the proper / strongest or most injury free way to grip and carry something is b/w the thumb and pinkie as it engages the forearm muscles. Where most kunce just grab b/w the thumb and index finger which only engages the hand.
grab your cock and give it a squeeze both ways while feeling your forearm with the other hand, you'll see.

Hell yeah! Will definitely be thrashing Mrs Palmer's youngest daughter hardest next time I go to a knuckle shuffle party.

(100x more fun than wrist curls)

After staring this thread about farmers walks I decided to make a pair of top loaders and add them to my training . They are about 25kg each.

They are quite solid and I have welded all the end caps for the handles and posts and polished them back before being painted. I made it out of 75x50x3mm, handle is 30mm diameter x 4mm thick .

I put 6mm thick ski's on either end so if you drop the load your toes won't get squashed. It gives you a more stable footprint as well.

Hope you're sending me a pair with my rack.... I'm guessing that's the reason it hasn't arrived yet anyway. Looks killer BVG, love ya work!