• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

True Protein PRE and POST

Thanks for stopping in [MENTION=17550]JUST.BLAISE[/MENTION] ; I think the BCAA quantities are fine. Afterall, the products are designed to be used together so you kind of have to take the total amount on board. Plus having it this way, my doses are split by about 2-3 hours which works out better than having 10+g in one go IMO.

Fair point on the pricing, I'm not a believer that True Protein is out to rip any one off. The NZ WPI has been good value and then bringing out the Aus based stuff even cheaper.

@BigMick I'm really surprised by your comments. When it comes to pricing we try and stay as competitive as possible and with a blend like this I think you're probably underestimating the costs involved. Yes you're correct that Dextrose is a cheap ingredient but everything else is pretty expensive. NZ WPI and BCAA's especially cost a lot. On top of that the cost of blending it, and using high quality ingredients like Stevia and Natural Cocoa for the flavouring all increase the final unit price. We never set out to be the cheapest and develop our range with quality in mind and developing supplements that are effective. Dextrose is included for it's use as a functional way of spiking insulin to help absorption and quickly replenishing glycogen levels, and we felt it was a core part of what people need in an all in one post workout blend.

I fully understand the purpose of the dextrose, hence the reason I used to buy pure dextrose from the home brew section of Big W or the local home brew shop.

NZ WPI is not cheap I agree, but you only get 392grams. Essentially this is a mass gainer formula. BCAA's are not cheap but not that expensive either. My point was that for a lot less you could but 1kg of NZ WPI, buy 2kg of dextrose, add 30 cents worth of creatine and essentially you have about 3kg of mass gainer for a similar price of 1kg.

I understand you are in business to make money and I can see the convenience thing of the two products,I have tried your protein powders and found them to be tasty and of good quality, however in saying that personally I believe that 99.9% of supplements do not make any difference what so ever, unless you are deficient in something, ie BCAA's will only do something if you are short of protein, and do not consume enough protein from conventional sources. I do use the occasional protein shake when I feel I am a bit short on my intake, but this is very rare these days.

I have not taken any supplants for approximately 12 months now apart from the occasional shake, and have noted zero difference in recovery, gains, the way I feel etc etc, then again I believe my diet is fairly well dialled in. I used to use a commercial pre-workout formula then take BCAA"s, EAA's, creatine during my workout mixed in my water bottle to sip during training and a post workout shake with 30grams of WPI, 5 grams creatine, glutamine and 30 grams of dextrose and never noted a difference of my current regime of a bottle of tap water during workout and dinner a short time later.

Last edited:
@BigMick It's a shame that when we develop a formula like this people are quick to pass judgement before even trialling the products in the way they are supposed to be taken. Price is subjective, and while you feel it is expensive I deal with people on a daily basis who find it good value. I've said from the start True Protein is not about being the cheapest supplements provider in Australia. The POST could be significantly cheaper if we used AUS WPC or Chinese creatine for example but instead we used NZ WPI and Creapure creatine as we wanted to make it a quality product with the best ingredients.

I am happy that people find that it works for them, and there will always be people that buy it and believe that it makes a difference to them, and in some cases it might, especially if their overall protein intake is low. At the end of the day any supplement is only food, there is nothing magical about WPI, no matter where it comes from, creatine is not magic, neither is dextrose.

I have tried every supplement under the sun, and was on quite an extensive supplementation program in the past. The best I have ever felt was when I take no supplements and eat proper food, that has been processed as little as possible and mostly not altered from it's natural state. I know when I eat highly processed foods, and soft drinks, high sugar etc I usually feel under the weather slightly.

If these products work for people and make them feel good, then they should buy them and use them. People are looking to supplements searching for the magic pill, there is no such pill, just train hard and eat right, that's all that is required. I just wish I had worked that out 25 years ago and I would have listened to people telling me this exact thing back then, but I had to try myself, as without doubt thousands will do, as they know better, of course a guy that has been there done that knows nothing….lol

So you're whinging that supplementation is stupid because it didn't work for you? There are so many other factors why things didn't work. Was your training and diet up to par? It's like people who take fat burners yet eat whatever and expect to get results.

Supplementation is a way to dial in your macros, consume your macros with minimal excess calories and to get nutrients you can't get with a balanced diet (think of the amount of excess calories and meat you would have to consume to get a 5g dosage of BCAAs and creatine).

I can see this going round in circles, but all I'll say is that while you may not see benefits in supplements lots of people do. Without trialling it I guess it's impossible for you to know if it would be beneficial for you personally.

So you're whinging that supplementation is stupid because it didn't work for you? There are so many other factors why things didn't work. Was your training and diet up to par? It's like people who take fat burners yet eat whatever and expect to get results.

Supplementation is a way to dial in your macros, consume your macros with minimal excess calories and to get nutrients you can't get with a balanced diet (think of the amount of excess calories and meat you would have to consume to get a 5g dosage of BCAAs and creatine).

No offence but I have read some of your posts and it comes through that you really have no idea what BCAA's are apart what is printed on the glossy label of your supplements, all complete proteins contain BCAA's, 150 grams of chicken or beef will cover your daily BCAA's requirements, so if you have about 150-250 grams total of either beef, chicken, tuna, salmon etc your daily BCAA intake is MORE THAN covered for the day, the rest will be pissed out, even 120 grams of peanuts contain more BCAA's than the post workout shake, all meat you eat also contains creatine in the correct proportion.

Going back to getting your 5 grams of BCAA's, 100grams of most meats will cover it, 100 grams of beef are about 250 calories, just over 5 grams of BCAA's and 25 grams of quality unprocessed complete protein, while your shake will have the same amount of BCAA's, similar calories and less protein, and cost about 5 times the price of my steak and all without the sugar.

While your paying $49 for your 1kg of supplement I can buy 1kg of steak (food) in bulk for about $7-9 per kilo.

Last edited:
I can see this going round in circles, but all I'll say is that while you may not see benefits in supplements lots of people do. Without trialling it I guess it's impossible for you to know if it would be beneficial for you personally.

Yes it will as for a business model you would never agree with me as you have a vested interest in selling this stuff to those that just don't understand the basics of food.

Without using the product myself I guess I will never know 100%, but from trying every supplement under the sun since about 1983 and studying up on sports nutrition for around 15 years and reading every book paper etc I can get my hands on I am 99.998% certain what the outcome would be.

Last edited:
LETS DESIGN A NEW SUPPLEMENT AND MARKET IT JUST FOR FUN, RIGHT NOW:

OK what has not been done??? It must be cheap to produce and have a convincing story to sell it.

Lets see grass, grass is cheap, plentiful and best of all it makes you fucking HUGE!!!! It doesn't???? Well of course it does…….what do bulls eat?? Grass, and bulls are huge muscular and strong.

There is our slogan,"Be as big and strong as a bull"

We still need a name, how about something catchy like:

'100% Natural Super Metabolic Hydroxy Phase Mega Blast with extra double potent Oxyhyrolyte Test Booster Max'

Now get a well know body builder to endorse it as his secret to his success, print up a flash label and sell a month supply for $99.

Of course there will be a disclaimer on the label that to see any sort of results you need to run this continuously for 4-6 months.

What happens in 4-6 months??? Nothing, not a thing!!! All you now need to do is to convince every buyer that they probably were not training hard enough, their programming was off, their diet was not dialled in enough, or that they are one of the very few unlucky individuals that is a non responder.

This will give you 6 month to a year to come up with another similar but better product, with added potency and secret anabolic ingredients that will multiply the results of the existing formula tenfold, to unlock the non responders potential for huge gains, and the merry go round starts again.

Sound familiar???? This is how supplements are made, marketed and sold to the gullible.:p

Last edited:
If you want to carry on your "damn the supplement man" rant, can you start your own thread? This was a thread to review two products. If you don't want to try them out, fair enough but you don't need to clog the whole thread with your "supplements are rubbish" spiel.
People use a variety of supplements for all kinds of reasons, I'm sure they can make up their own mind if these (or any) are the right products for them.

[MENTION=17550]JUST.BLAISE[/MENTION]; What I wanna know is whey is NZ Whey so good. Wasn't this the company selling Whey Protein for $50 a kilo or something. Fark!

Yes, prices for 1kg
NZ WPI $52.90
NZ WPC Usually $35.90, currently on special at $17.95
AUS WPC Usually $26.90, currently $23.90

Pretty sure the discussion of NZ vs Aus protein has been bought up before, just can't find where

Yes, prices for 1kg
NZ WPI $52.90
NZ WPC Usually $35.90, currently on special at $17.95
AUS WPC Usually $26.90, currently $23.90

Pretty sure the discussion of NZ vs Aus protein has been bought up before, just can't find where

doesn't it strike you as odd that a company can have an "original price" of $35.90 then have a long term "special price" of $17.95.

NZ Whey (WPI) $52.90 per kilo versus AUS Whey (WPC) $23-26 per kilo. Don't let [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; see this :D

When BN were using NZ Whey it was no where near as expensive as this mob. Pretty much the same price as Aus Whey.

You'd have to compare WPC with WPC. I don't watch the prices like a hawk but don't remember the NZ WPC being that cheap last time I looked.

Baz will say the NZ stuff should be that price because the cows get fed crap

You'd have to compare WPC with WPC. I don't watch the prices like a hawk but don't remember the NZ WPC being that cheap last time I looked.

Baz will say the NZ stuff should be that price because the cows get fed crap

Even other brand HWPI isn't that expensive.

$52 for WPI. Not this little black duck!

Bottom line is NZ whey is no different to Aus whey, which is no different to US whey. Just the kiwis are better than us at advertising and convincing people that their product is somehow magically better.