• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
http://youtu.be/EGcVb3wBL_Q

this is how I workout mostly when using machines, I'm using machines more often now.

1. you can see perfect form
2. Pre-fatiguing
3. Perfect use on the smith
4. Incredibly high heart rate
5. Going to fatigue

When looking at videos like that, I often wonder, whats worse on the joints in terms of wear and tear: high reps lower weight, or high weight lower reps? Especially when one approaches state of fatigue.

Love HIT/Max-ot style training - have been doing it and/or aspects of it pretty much since I started training....

When looking at videos like that, I often wonder, whats worse on the joints in terms of wear and tear: high reps lower weight, or high weight lower reps? Especially when one approaches state of fatigue.

Done properly, Neither.
Reaching fatigue is not the problem, it's the first rep with fresh strength that is...
lower rep's would require more due diligence

Could be completely dumb question, but can you please explain this a bit more?

If the skill level is good as in the exercise performed is good form, then either forms; high rep/low weight and low rep/higher weight will not directly cause injury.
Both forms should be done.

*The higher rep scheme in a template will not only build muscle but increase metabolic conditioning, so no aerobic activity is required as long as the HR is maintained at over 120 throughout the workout.
* The lower rep...scheme in a template will build muscle exclusively, especially with the multi-joint movements, hitting the endochrine system hard, but there is a higher risk of adding fatty tissue, so some aerobic activity is required to maintain condition.

It's impact that causes damage, so a trainee with fresh strength doing 5 reps and under with max kg on the bar to fatigue needs to be especially careful on the first two rep's, as a fresh muscle with 100% strength on a first rep could literally pull muscle off bone, if the trainee, literally jerked the bar using momentum against resistance.

toward the end of the set when fresh strength is depleted, the trainee is unable to use momentum as he is just too weak.

The first repetition is always the most dangerous repetition… and the last repetition, when you are simply not strong enough to hurt yourself, is always the safest.
The first repetition is always the most dangerous repetition… and the last repetition, when you are simply not strong enough to hurt yourself, is always the safest.

If the skill level is good as in the exercise performed is good form, then either forms; high rep/low weight and low rep/higher weight will not directly cause injury.

*The higher rep scheme in a template will not only build muscle but increase metabolic conditioning, so no aerobic activity is required as long as the HR is maintained at over 120 throughout the workout.
* The lower rep...scheme in a template will build muscle exclusively, especially with the multi-joint movements, hitting the endochrine system hard, but there is a higher risk of adding fatty tissue, so some aerobic activity is required to maintain condition.

It's impact that causes damage, so a trainee with fresh strength doing 5 reps and under with max kg on the bar to fatigue needs to be especially careful on the first two rep's, as a fresh muscle with 100% strength on a first rep could literally pull muscle off bone, if the trainee, literally jerked the bar using momentum against resistance.

toward the end of the set when fresh strength is depleted, the trainee is unable to use momentum as he is just too weak.

Thanks a lot mate.

This is pure gold and can't be any simpler
I suggest we all should read this then read it again a hundred more times

And who said there is little wisdom on AusBB.

Silverback is one of our finest.

I always have a good read of what the gorilla has to say about training.

Noice!

I am guessing your meaning as your not performing higher reps (i.e more activity) etc you wont be burning as many calories? Meaning possibly gaining fat if you eating more than you are burning....

I agree and disagree - this more comes down to diet - yes of course if your doing higher reps/longer weight sessions you could eat more, or as you said not do as much/if any cardio...

But if your below maintenance and still training in a HIT/Max-Ot manner then your still going to be dropping weight - regardless of the sort of training you do within the gym...

I am a big believer in keeping weight as heavy as possible for aslong as possible when dieting as you have a better chance to keep muscle mass.

I couldn't give a fat rats klacker whether you agree or disagree, mearly explaining the differences (as I see it) between the two.
both are needed, both garner similar results, one could be seen as safer and more time efficiant, adjustments in aerobic activity and diet would need to be made for most I'd say.
The amount one eats, sleeps, exercises and roots depends on the individual.

But for the average trainee, I don't believe much in the way of diet adjustment is needed.

Last edited:
I couldn't give a fat rats klacker whether you agree or disagree, mearly explaining the differences (as I see it) between the two.
both are needed, both garner similar results, one could be seen as safer and more time efficiant, adjustments in aerobic activity and diet would need to be made for most I'd say.
The amount one eats, sleeps, exercises and roots depends on the individual.

But for the average trainee, I don't believe much in the way of diet adjustment is needed.

No need to get defensive sir.

Yep eachother to their own.