• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
*The higher rep scheme in a template will not only build muscle but increase metabolic conditioning, so no aerobic activity is required as long as the HR is maintained at over 120 throughout the workout.
* The lower rep...scheme in a template will build muscle exclusively, especially with the multi-joint movements, hitting the endochrine system hard, but there is a higher risk of adding fatty tissue, so some aerobic activity is required to maintain condition.

I don't know the science behind it but low reps high weight sure will get my HR to over 120, yet without conditioning work (ie aerobic activity as you mentioned) I don't feel as fit.

A trainee with fresh strength doing 5 reps and under with max kg on the bar to fatigue needs to be especially careful on the first two rep's, as a fresh muscle with 100% strength on a first rep could literally pull muscle off bone, if the trainee, literally jerked the bar using momentum against resistance.

That's assuming the trainee hasn't warmed up properly before the first two dangerous reps you speak of? Tearing muscle off bone shouldn't be happening if he was physically and mentally warmed up to the task, though it could happen at any weight (not just at MAX) if he wasn't.

I get what you're saying though and I think that nasty impact damage can happen at anytime once the mind muscle connection is lost (through over enthusiasm in the first reps, fatigue in the last reps, fantasizing about the gym bunny's butt winking at you through the mirror's reflection mid set).

Anywhere between 120~180 and maintained for an hour is going to have a positive effect.
i emphasize the word maintained.

if you pr doesn't drop considerably between sets of low reps then I'd question your condition.
unless your only taking minimal rest between sets less than 10~20 seconds.
if that's the case you're a savage.

[MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; always misses the good threads

If he sees this you'll be in trouble for mentioning anything off topic despite him trying to derail threads with pics of his fucking dogs or shed.

Now I'll be in trouble as well.

Anyway back on topic.

silverback, my pulse stays over 120 for entire workout. Obviously higher when doing legs. This is because I have a minute max between sets, although odd heavier day and Olympic lifts I take more.

*The higher rep scheme in a template will not only build muscle but increase metabolic conditioning, so no aerobic activity is required as long as the HR is maintained at over 120 throughout the workout.
* The lower rep...scheme in a template will build muscle exclusively, especially with the multi-joint movements, hitting the endochrine system hard, but there is a higher risk of adding fatty tissue, so some aerobic activity is required to maintain condition. .

Whats your spray on a lower heavier rep scheme, but limiting rest periods to under 60 secs and calling it semi?-aerobic, as a basic training principle?

I'ts better than 120 seconds.

think about this; If you spent 120 seconds doing a set to failure, with a rest of 3 seconds between sets, and maintained that pace for the entire workout, how long do you think that workout would be?

silverback, my pulse stays over 120 for entire workout. Obviously higher when doing legs. This is because I have a minute max between sets, although odd heavier day and Olympic lifts I take more.

Aerobic fitness is tricky, I don't know how much one needs, what I do know for myself is, the better my condition, the better I recover, not only between workouts, but between sets, whether that is 12~20, or the lower region, of 5~10.

Aerobic fitness is tricky, I don't know how much one needs, what I do know for myself is, the better my condition, the better I recover, not only between workouts, but between sets, whether that is 12~20, or the lower region, of 5~10.

Do you do any conditioning or cardio or just H.I.T?

Interesting! If its steady state cardio like long distance running like what I used to be into, then I concur sir.

I'ts better than 120 seconds.

think about this; If you spent 120 seconds doing a set to failure, with a rest of 3 seconds between sets, and maintained that pace for the entire workout, how long do you think that workout would be?

Ok, not sure if I decrypted your answer correctly, but to answer your question.
The workout at 120 second sets and 3 seconds rest would theoretically last if one was able to sustain it 1.5 times as long as 30 seconds sets and 60 seconds on rest.

but I wasn't referring to duration here, more of a method of using heavy low rep sets and limiting rest periods as a way of keeping the heart rate up and making the workout somewhat aerobic.

the duration would depend on how many body parts trained, how many sets, blah blah

Ok, not sure if I decrypted your answer correctly, but to answer your question.
The workout at 120 second sets and 3 seconds rest would theoretically last if one was able to sustain it 1.5 times as long as 30 seconds sets and 60 seconds on rest.

but I wasn't referring to duration here, more of a method of using heavy low rep sets and limiting rest periods as a way of keeping the heart rate up and making the workout somewhat aerobic.

the duration would depend on how many body parts trained, how many sets, blah blah

Ok ok I confused you and me.

"semi aerobic" as you state, is going to be better (resting 60 seconds) than 120.
if you are going to try and get an aerobic effect from a low rep template, then you just need to make sure what you're doing is safe, in terms of moving very heavy weight for minimal reps.

i suppose I just wanted to get feed back from you, with the question I asked.
doing the workout you do now....using the same exercises, if you increased the time per exercise and reduced the rest time to 3 seconds, how long would you be able to maintain that intensity of work.

I think you'd be doing pretty well if you could maintain that pace for more than 20 minutes, your heart would be reading 220 and you'd be puffing like a train.

imagine if after 3 months of this sort of workout you doubled the KG's you where pulling and pushing.
youd be one fit, strong looking mofo.

Ok ok I confused you and me.

"semi aerobic" as you state, is going to be better (resting 60 seconds) than 120.
if you are going to try and get an aerobic effect from a low rep template, then you just need to make sure what you're doing is safe, in terms of moving very heavy weight for minimal reps.

i suppose I just wanted to get feed back from you, with the question I asked.
doing the workout you do now....using the same exercises, if you increased the time per exercise and reduced the rest time to 3 seconds, how long would you be able to maintain that intensity of work.

I think you'd be doing pretty well if you could maintain that pace for more than 20 minutes, your heart would be reading 220 and you'd be puffing like a train.

imagine if after 3 months of this sort of workout you doubled the KG's you where pulling and pushing.
youd be one fit, strong looking mofo.

Ok, I see what you are demonstrating here, just the numbers threw me, I'm at 30 seconds sets and 50 seconds rest speed, and that keep me sweating like a mule.

ps
for an hour or more

You can probably only do this sort of stuff on machines. Hard to imagine applying this to compound movements lol..

You can probably only do this sort of stuff on machines. Hard to imagine applying this to compound movements lol..

A tad risky with dead's and squats and the like.

bench press and variants
dips
chinups and variants and most other multi joint is possible.