• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats Issues???

morgan000

Just wondering if anyone has or had any issues with squats like I currently have? I have decided to go back to basics especially with my knee problems and try to get ATG squats happening. I previously have never bothered with form or going below parallel and I think I have suffered for it. So now I don't bother with the bar or weights until I can squat my body weight properly like a toddler. The issue I'm having is that when I have my heels raised, I sort of can go ATG, but the second my heels aren't raised, its terrible. I've figured out my achilles and calves are pretty tight. So I'm trying to stretch em out everyday, haven't gotten on the roller yet but will do when I have the time. Also thinking about stretching my hips and glutes out too to try and loosen the whole area up. Another thing when I was doing half assed squats, my glutes weren't firing so I somehow have to get them working too. I also hold onto a pole and do the ATG squat just to get used to the whole thing. It's really frustrating as I know it is going to be a slow process because I can't just gain flexibility overnight.

Is there anything else I can do or is there something that has worked for someone?

Much appreciated.

At the moment I can't even get to parallel without it resembling a good morning so if I can correct it right from the start, also my knee travels too far forward so I figure the best way is to correct it properly.

is it good to do squats with raised heels constantly? I read somewhere it's not a good idea and to reduce the height of the heels so eventually you'll squat flat.

I had some technical issues and was having trouble increasing weight. Dropped the weight significantly and worked my way back up, no belt, good form. Was the best thing I've done. Now increasing weight consistently every week, second week at the outside.

I had some technical issues and was having trouble increasing weight. Dropped the weight significantly and worked my way back up, no belt, good form. Was the best thing I've done. Now increasing weight consistently every week, second week at the outside.

Thats exactly what I want to do, but even just with the bar, my form isn't that great, that's why I want to get my body weight squats right before I progress.

Thats exactly what I want to do, but even just with the bar, my form isn't that great, that's why I want to get my body weight squats right before I progress.

Do it mate. IMO weight should be secondary to doing the movement well. Do it well and the weight will come.

have you thought os seeing a coach or PT, maybe a PTC could help? i reckon it would be easier correcting bad form with someone else looking at you then trying to do it yourself

have you thought os seeing a coach or PT, maybe a PTC could help? i reckon it would be easier correcting bad form with someone else looking at you then trying to do it yourself

Unless you can have an out of body experience and lift at the same time, another set of eyes is a necessity to critically assess your form I reckon.

As others have said, go light and get your form right. Lots of reps with low weight. How are you with front squats?

This is true, I was considering that as an option but at the moment, due to funds or lack there of, I can't really afford to hire a coach, in the new year things may change but for now it's a bit difficult. Actually how much would it be for a coach at PTC? They are not too far from my place

This is true, I was considering that as an option but at the moment, due to funds or lack there of, I can't really afford to hire a coach, in the new year things may change but for now it's a bit difficult. Actually how much would it be for a coach at PTC? They are not too far from my place

An hour to assess form won't cost you much, and is a worthwhile investment.

My front squats seem ok, don't have an issue with it apart from being uncomfortable but I can definitely get to parallel with front squats

i would think a sessio at a PTC would be a worthwhile investment.....for and health and safety point of view if nothing else