• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats Issues???

I think you're all debating different points of view. The people saying it does nothing for squats are coming from a powerlifter view point. Some people squat purely to work the quads for body building training. Once you go below parallel, the hamstrings and glutes are engaged more. So for a pure quad workout, box squats are excellent.

The hamstring is not engaged more, if you mean "doing work" , they are in fact not doing a lot.

the reality is, the squat is not a very efficiant exercise, it's a leg exercise, and for some there are much better alternatives.

My question was why he felt he needed to go ATG, he didn't even answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
box squats are a useful tool even for raw squatters but its something i would do a fair way out of competition and i would stop doing them as i got closer and concentrate on just normal squatting,any thing that takes the stretch reflex out of the equation and makes it a tougher exercise= good in my opinion.
you can pause squat too.i like this exercise a lot.its great.

the best thing to improve your squat in my opinion is the smolovs.trouble is if you dont have the constitution of a horse ur bench and dead will either stagnate or go backwards.you have to set a reasonable max and have training seshs that are hard but wont blow you away. that will allow you to bench with reasonable effort and even deadlift.some guys will disagree and say their deadlift was fine without training it for weeks..this hasnt been my experience.

Last edited:
box squatting is a fad, that died in the arse, many years ago

I think the problem with box squats is that many people don't even know how to do them properly. They plop themselves on the jump box with a thud, relax their muscles even, then grunt and grind their way back up again. What a great way to introduce unnecessary shear forces onto the spine! These same people also struggle a great deal to get the weight of the BB onto the centre of their foot.

well goes without saying its an exercise that needs to be practiced with lighter weight to get the form down.but a well executed box squat properly placed in a well designed program surely would have benefits and carry over to raw squatting.its a hard exercise that builds strength...thats gotta be good.
id even say its slightly superior to pause squats in terms of difficulty as you still have a bit of kinetic energy when you pause,whereas sitting back on a low box is an actual deadstop.i suspect theres good carryover to the deadlift like front squats are.look at the muscles it engages.
I just wouldnt do them all the way up to the platform.it really depends on a number of factors and whether someone has the time and energy to do them.whether its better to prioritise or not.that depends how far away ur next comp is etc etc.
its 6 of 1, and half a dozen of the other really.if you can do them,great.if you cant find a place for them.. no big deal.

Last edited:
The hamstring is not engaged more, if you mean "doing work" , they are in fact not doing a lot.

the reality is, the squat is not a very efficiant exercise, it's a leg exercise, and for some there are much better alternatives.

i enjoy squatting but i believe this to be true.you can get great looking legs and improve ur health and wellbeing without having to back squat.its not an exercise everyone has to do.

I think the problem with box squats is that many people don't even know how to do them properly. They plop themselves on the jump box with a thud, relax their muscles even, then grunt and grind their way back up again. What a great way to introduce unnecessary shear forces onto the spine! These same people also struggle a great deal to get the weight of the BB onto the centre of their foot.

The fatter you are the more forward the centre line moves when seated adding unreal load force on the spine and hip.

I think you're all debating different points of view. The people saying it does nothing for squats are coming from a powerlifter view point. Some people squat purely to work the quads for body building training. Once you go below parallel, the hamstrings and glutes are engaged more. So for a pure quad workout, box squats are excellent.

Box squats are done to take most of the quads out of it and put more work on the Hams and glutes.

Again, dismissing information from sources of tried and tested data.

I guess we should all just listen to random dudes on forums with no fitness or nutritional background.

My question was why he felt he needed to go ATG, he didn't even answer.

Sorry Silverback lol, I said ATG but it doesnt have to be. I just want to go to parallel or as low as I can without it looking like a good morning. I definitely have tight calves and ankles which limit the movement.

In regards to hip flexors I have no idea. I'm going to PTC this afternoon for a session to have it checked out anyway so I will keep you posted.

Again, dismissing information from sources of tried and tested data.

I guess we should all just listen to random dudes on forums with no fitness or nutritional background.

You posted a link to a shitty bb.com exercise description. If you know anything about how box squats are done they are not a quad exercise.

They way you are supposed to squat back to the box takes a lot of the quads out of it. It's despised as an exercise to take the quad out and overload the PC.

Sure read some BB.com exercise descriptions 5 minutes ago makes you an expert though.

Well I went to PTC this arvo, I couldn't do much because my patella tendinitis flared up again last night and I still had soreness there today and Dimi recommended I not do anything so I postponed my appointment for next week. This patella business is giving me the shits.