• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Is Bulking Really Necessary?

No. Bulking is a bitch. You eat like a king for so long them Bam!! You're eating like a poor person.

For the record, I've noticed that drugs work better when I am really limiting calories
Bulking they don't seem to do much at all but on a starvation diet they are pretty much magic. Setting random PBs with higher rep work on sub-1000kcal and 250mg of testosterone currently

I think if you're eating to gain weight, not much is needed at all. Just enough for some muscle gain (250mg of test is enough) plus a little of something for recovery purposes like boldenone, nandrolone or dianabol

Yep I've noticed that this year eating more than 500 cal above maintenance does jack all when it comes to muscle gains and strength gains. What I get though is the jiggly stuff and fluids in my belly, giving me that beer belly bloated look and feel.

So what's the gist to packing on muscle once you're past noob gains? Maintenance cals, high protein?

Epic bulk equals epic fat Kuntz...

Stay lean and avoid spending 99% of your training life trying to cut down.....

Yep I've noticed that this year eating more than 500 cal above maintenance does jack all when it comes to muscle gains and strength gains. What I get though is the jiggly stuff and fluids in my belly, giving me that beer belly bloated look and feel.

So what's the gist to packing on muscle once you're past noob gains? Maintenance cals, high protein?

Drugs aside, a modest cal surplus with lots of activity on rest days.

I'm not saying you put on 10 kg of fat in 6 months, lets be realistic, but ample food makes me happy, keeps energy high and ensures fully anabolic environment bro. If I have to lose an extra 5 kg of fat over a year than the next guy I don't give a shit.

What goes up must come down.. what one bulks one must cut. Well I hate cutting, I feel like my body is eating itself inside out, no energy or motivation unless I take more preworkout just to get out of bed. It sucks arse, man! So yeah, I am over it too lol.

My view was always a slight increase over maintanence calories, but more carbs when bulking, as this fuelled my energy, strength and pumps, then a slight decrease below maintanence with a lowering of carbs whilst dieting.

dieting properly is no fun, these days I just do 40-60 mins on treadmill in morning (as much for the health as the calorie expenditure) and eat clean foods, and eat carbs around specific times (workout, and night to facilitate insulin release for tryptophan to cross blood brain barrier - I have battled sleep problems)

when a a young puppy, I would do extremes bulks and then extreme cuts...... Feast or famine. It sucked.

I did my 1st full-on, dirty bulk this year for the 1st time in fuarrrk 6,7 years maybe - went from 103 to 121 - in a few months - was it worth it? mmmm yes and no - yes I could train harder, I was stronger, I gained size etc - but for the effort I am putting in now to try and get back in condition it prob wasn't worth it...

Will I "bulk" again - yes of course - but def not to the degree I did this year ever again - and after eating 5,000,6000,7000+ calories aday you get over it lol.....I will "bulk" again but I will go back to a slower, "leaner" style of bulk....not so durrrrrrrty.....

For the first 6 months of this year I went full on into a bulking cycle; 500-700 calories (depending on training) above maintenance. I got stronger and built muscle, but I started to loathe food. I would just finish a meal and would have an hour break before having to eat again. I also put on about 8kg of body fat. In terms of training, I had plenty of energy and was in a good anabolic state, but outside of the gym you feel sluggish and bloated.

It took me a good 10 weeks of solid dieting to lose all the fat I had put on, and with such hard dieting, you will lose some muscle. For the next year I'll be staying around maintenance calories and measuring my results more closely to see when they need to increase. One thing I've learnt with all the extreme approaches is to do things incrementally. Don't jump from maintenance to a 500 calorie surplus. Increase by 100 calories over 5 weeks.

I think a proper bulk cycle will only benefit newbies up to a point.

If you're fat, you're either eating too much or not working-out hard enough, or not getting enough sleep.
sort those out and you'll get big.

Even newbies don't have to eat ridiculous calorie surpluses.

I think this where they will make the most gains in the shortest period of time. They don't need to be too concerned about macros or hitting daily calories. Just eat enough, frequently enough.

I thought the term "bulking' was in regards to adding LBM. There is always going to be some fat gain but with an adequate surplus the P-ratio shouldn't be too bad. So yes, I think bulking is necessary. (unless you want to be a skinny weakling :p)