• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Great thread this and awesome posts;

An example, I am not really too flexible in the leg bicep, long legs always made it difficult to bend and touch my toes, prior to that, had diffuculty running at full tilt, bending over to pick up the ball, shocking strength, and leverages.

once I started squatting things changed, that was twenty year ago.

i remember reading about SLDL's and added them, 10 years ago I could do them quite well, did the off and on but I felt they where quite useless until I read, here and there, I think it was Dan John that also didn't liket them, and I think he mentioned Peary Rader, stating that they should be done with a straight leg, not bent, like I did them.

So I started doing them, of course I needed to reduce the weight considerably 10kg plates aside.
at 52, I'm able to rep 12 and on a consistent basis, week in week out and progressively 120kg for 12 reps, straight back, straight stiff leg to fatigue.

last week 124kg x 12, slow controlled full reps

Have you thought about competing in powerlifting. Doing the above would indicate a pretty good strength level.

I lol at this shit. Trying to throw our hidden insults directed at me like if you lift light then not stretching is ok. Lol.

Flexibility from static stretching has terrible carryover to flexibility in a movement. And static stretching hasn't shown to prevent injuries. Try again.

Don't use powerlifters as a an example. Powerlifters generally have small ROM anyway.

1. I never mentioned static stretching

2. Powerlifters (a large % of them) will have some of the best flexibility and mobility (this is one of the KEY parts of powerlifting - without this you will be unable to perform a correct lift) - more so than say a bodybuilder

1. I never mentioned static stretching

2. Powerlifters (a large % of them) will have some of the best flexibility and mobility (this is one of the KEY parts of powerlifting - without this you will be unable to perform a correct lift) - more so than say a bodybuilder

You were using the example before of holding stretches for 30 seconds. That is static stretching.

Powerlifters touch their chest on bench, and go to depth on squats. Something 90% of people in gym don't do.
I agree with the statement against static stretching...a couple physios I've been to have thrown out the theory, even saying they do more harm than good.

Yeah for sure. Your average gym rat isn't great for ROM especially on bench. I'll also say I don't think I've ever seen a bench touch the chest at the footy club either.

Have you thought about competing in powerlifting. Doing the above would indicate a pretty good strength level.

Thanks Spart, but no mate

I played a lot of footy, squash and cricket, I was pretty average at footy, i wasn't built for it, too small, long legs short torso, my endurance was ok, I was not fast enough, and could not change direction very quick due to my center of gravity, it wasn't very enjoyable.

Started going to gym again back in 1995, a certain writer at the time was espousing the value of exercise and the by-products it produces, my focus on exercise is different to most.

I go to PTC from time to time and appreciate the work ethic these men have, and the challenge to stay injury free.
Markos also sees the value of doing "exercise" properly, we both love the old Nautilus equipment, train on it properly and you don't need much, or should i say you wont be able to stand much.

Yeah for sure. Your average gym rat isn't great for ROM especially on bench. I'll also say I don't think I've ever seen a bench touch the chest at the footy club either.

Firstly I'm not having a go a power lifters, their aim is to reduce ROM, with the bench they place their hands as far apart as practical, this greatly reduces the movement around the shoulder, so even though they do in fact touch the chest, the stretching of the pecs is also reduced, and why you see wrist injury and pec tears.

Performing a PL bench versus a text book bench as an exercise are two different animals, and when a power lifter does spend time doing the press in text book manner would need to reduce the weight on the bar considerably, because flexibility is limited, as in the limbs are not prepared or strong in that position under load.
It's tricky.
Strong is strong, and a flexible muscle is even stronger.

Last edited:
I think if you focus on full range of motion with a pause at the top (contraction) and pause as the bottom (extension), you shouldn't have flexibility issues. Also, warm up sets do wonders before going heavy.

I think if you focus on full range of motion with a pause at the top (contraction) and pause as the bottom (extension), you shouldn't have flexibility issues. Also, warm up sets do wonders before going heavy.

I do agree, it just makes sense, by pausing you're ensuring that the weight you're moving is under control, you are not using momentum, you are using muscle, it's especially crucial on machines like Hammer.

Pausing and squeezing at contraction for two seconds, guarantees that 100% of muscle fiber in the muscle is being used, you'll find you'll fatigue quite quickly it's a very efficient and safe way to workout.

Doing this, I find I don not need sets to warm-up with.

What a crock of shit..
A Pl doing full ROM on a squat. Gimme a fucking break.
While I agree the average bro trainer if they do squat at all are fucking terrible don't try to tell me PL's use full ROM. "Oh a PL went past parallel on a squat.... and its snowing in Darwin.[emoji13]
I squat full ROM and I love it.
KMA [emoji2]

What a crock of shit..
While I agree the average bro trainer if they do squat at all are fucking terrible don't try to tell me PL's use full ROM. "Oh a PL went past parallel on a squat.... and its snowing in Darwin.[emoji13]
KMA [emoji2]

kabooyow.gif

What a crock of shit..
KMA [emoji2]

Truth.

I remember this thread, was a good one
I did chuckle a lot when Rugby mentioned how flexible powerlifters are

Facepulls, facepulls and more facepulls. Oh shit this an old thread lol.