• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Lifting heavy, if you are doing rep's and moving at a constant cadence and going to fatigue, it should be heavy, must be heavy.

If you curl 20 reps and it's done very easily and you don't go to fatigue, the the intensity of work is very low and clearly not heavy.

If your using your weights sessions as your stretching sessions you are doing it wrong - I am all for getting the most out of the lift, stretching, squeezing etc - but to a limit - you need to remember your weights are there to overload the muscle, so it forces it to grow - not to increase flexibility.

What is this "but to a limit" you speak of?

so if you are all for "stretch and squeeze", but you think there is no value why do it at all?

why not just as you say, overload your muscle and not concern yourself with it?
actually I have no idea what you are stating, it seems as if more often than not two people talking in many of your posts.

What is this "but to a limit" you speak of?

so if you are all for "stretch and squeeze", but you think there is no value why do it at all?

why not just as you say, overload your muscle and not concern yourself with it?
actually I have no idea what you are stating, it seems as if more often than not two people talking in many of your posts.

The main point to lift weight is to overload the muscle so it grows - now yes you could argue that stretching will over load the muscle - but are you really going to be holding the weight for 15,20,30 seconds in a stretching motion and if you can I highly doubt that weight is even heavy enough to overload the muscle for it to grow.

Yea I agree that you could use weights/your weight training sessions to help with flexibility - but I highly doubt if you were doing that you would be overloading the muscle enough to grow.

The main point to lift weight is to overload the muscle so it grows - now yes you could argue that stretching will over load the muscle - but are you really going to be holding the weight for 15,20,30 seconds in a stretching motion and if you can I highly doubt that weight is even heavy enough to overload the muscle for it to grow.

Yea I agree that you could use weights/your weight training sessions to help with flexibility - but I highly doubt if you were doing that you would be overloading the muscle enough to grow.

Lol

Static stretching like you are talking about, holding for 30 sec, hasn't shown to be that effective anyway, it hasn't shown to reduce injures or carry over to dynamic movements. Basically static stretching gets you better at static stretching it doesn't really help with other movements.

If you a lifting in a full range of motion you are performing a dynamic stretch every rep. Doing its all you bro half rep benches doesn't achieve this.

I don't really get much out of stretching, but I find firm pressure/rolling on tight muscles/tendons helps with soreness/tightness.

Great thread this and awesome posts;

An example, I am not really too flexible in the leg bicep, long legs always made it difficult to bend and touch my toes, prior to that, had diffuculty running at full tilt, bending over to pick up the ball, shocking strength, and leverages.

once I started squatting things changed, that was twenty year ago.

i remember reading about SLDL's and added them, 10 years ago I could do them quite well, did the off and on but I felt they where quite useless until I read, here and there, I think it was Dan John that also didn't liket them, and I think he mentioned Peary Rader, stating that they should be done with a straight leg, not bent, like I did them.

So I started doing them, of course I needed to reduce the weight considerably 10kg plates aside.
at 52, I'm able to rep 12 and on a consistent basis, week in week out and progressively 120kg for 12 reps, straight back, straight stiff leg to fatigue.

last week 124kg x 12, slow controlled full reps

What tickles me is that "bodybuilders" think that they are an entity, that they need to- yes, *train* a certain way, they devise complicated splits and programs thinking it will magically biuld muscle differently to the good old iron dungeon tough workout.

when walking sitting at a computer ,,gardening wanking whatever imagine u are pulling your shoulder blades down into your back pockets it will make sure everything sits correctly

Try getting into a good squat position if you're mobility is off. Then lift anyway, thinking that 'yeah man the weight will stretch it out yolo'.

Great way for injuries to happen. true story.

Try getting into a good squat position if you're mobility is off. Then lift anyway, thinking that 'yeah man the weight will stretch it out yolo'.

Great way for injuries to happen. true story.

Yep 100% a agree - this is why powerlifters, Oly lifters, athletes do so much stretching and mobility work.

I have seen guys before they did any stretching or mobility work that when squatting were holding the bar right at the ends, and could only sumo if they were ever any chance of getting close to parallel, same with bench and dead.

Of course as mentioned if you doing some light weights here and there and not doing anything to intense then yea you could get away with it but as you start to lift heavier, increase volume etc etc then if your mobility work is off and your inflexible then its nearly an injury waiting to happen.

Yep 100% a agree - this is why powerlifters, Oly lifters, athletes do so much stretching and mobility work.

I have seen guys before they did any stretching or mobility work that when squatting were holding the bar right at the ends, and could only sumo if they were ever any chance of getting close to parallel, same with bench and dead.

Of course as mentioned if you doing some light weights here and there and not doing anything to intense then yea you could get away with it but as you start to lift heavier, increase volume etc etc then if your mobility work is off and your inflexible then its nearly an injury waiting to happen.

I lol at this shit. Trying to throw our hidden insults directed at me like if you lift light then not stretching is ok. Lol.

Flexibility from static stretching has terrible carryover to flexibility in a movement. And static stretching hasn't shown to prevent injuries. Try again.

Don't use powerlifters as a an example. Powerlifters generally have small ROM anyway.

Powerlifters touch their chest on bench, and go to depth on squats. Something 90% of people in gym don't do.
I agree with the statement against static stretching...a couple physios I've been to have thrown out the theory, even saying they do more harm than good.