• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Favourite back workout

Jeff

For those who have a back day, what are some of your favourite workouts?

I've got my ideas but I'd like to see what other people do.

I try to put a session together that looks something like this:

Deadlift variation: conventional, sumo, trap bar or rack pulls
Power movement: power cleans, high pulls or shrugs
Horizontal pull: some form of row
Vertical pull:pulldown variation because I'm too fat to do chins
Loaded carry: sandbag, prowler, farmers walk etc.

How about you?

Sounds like what I like to do for a back workout. Pullups and chins rule, doesn't matter if you can do just one you can do that and progress from there.

My weakness would be the loaded carry. I would like to do some prowlers, they look like so much fun.

Back is prob my fav bodypart to train - so many exercises I love but I guess afew which make a good workout -

Bentover Row
DB Row
Seated Straight Bar Row
Lat Pulldown

- As mentioned though so many other exercises!

For the back side of things was doing;
Bent Row
DB Row
Cable Row
Tbar
Close Grip Lat

hur hur hur backside

My usual back workout:

Barbell Deadlift.
Barbell Bent Over Underhand Row.
Pull-ups.
Machine Hammer Low Row. (One arm at a time).
T-Bar Row.
Lat Cable Wide Pulldown.
Seated Cable Row.
Dumbbell Shrug.
Barbell Shrug.

• Pullups
  • hammer strength rows or vbar rows (using a landmine) or underhand bb rows;
  • vbar cable rows; and
  • either hypers or rack pulls.

I've been running an upper / lower split in the last year or so, which means I have tended towards chest supported exercises like hammer strength rows so that the lower back doesn't fatigue too much.

Sadly my new gym doesn't have a cable row or a land mine so my focus is now upper day 1 (pullups + hammer str rows) upper day 2 (close grip/neutral grip pull downs + bent over rows).

A favourite back routine.
Press
Squat, SLDL...
pre fatigue on machine pullover, straight pulldowns to fatigue to machine row, then farmer's

Hammer strength seated row, both narrow and wide grip rows

either deadlifts or rack pulls

lat pull down both wide grip and narrow reverse Palms

I was doing conventional deads on back day, now doing sumo on glute/ham day with a set of conventional thrown in. It's like saying do you do traps on shoulder or back day...

Yeah I am more likely to be doing OHP on a back style day compared to Deads which I throw under as a leg day

Yes, they definitely are a back exercise. When I go from low weight/high reps to heavy weight/low reps deadlifts, my back is sore for a week.

Deadlift variation: conventional, sumo, trap bar or rack pulls
Power movement: power cleans, high pulls or shrugs
Horizontal pull: some form of row
Vertical pull: Pulldown variation because I'm too fat to do chins
Loaded carry: sandbag, prowler, farmers walk etc.

How about you?

SLDL's, Deadlifts
Bent over rows, REALLY bent over rows
Cable rows
Lat pull downs
Hyperextensions

I love all of them equally <3

Is back defined as the Lats or the lumber?

both form portions of the back, no? Isn't lumbar referring more to a specific section of the spine (lower)? Lats are probably the largest single muscles in the back...along with traps.

I see back or back day as more of working your core. So I do abs and back on the same day. Chest, shoulders and arms as upper body. Quads, hamstrings and calves as lower body.