• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Gonna start low carb diet again on nyd, gonna go for a 4-6 week cut and see what effect it has on my numbers

How did you know this?

When I did the low carb cut I got lean but looked like I had AIDS according to my Mrs and lost a heap of strength. Had a break for a while did a cut with more carbs got as lean as before but at 10kg heavier and had a lot more strength and felt a heap better.

Just my personal experience. Some others may do perfectly fine on low carb. I don't.

Barry, you did a cut with more carbs and got as lean as your previous low carb cut but 10kg heavier you say?
So you managed to gain 10kg of muscle while on a cut?

Barry, you did a cut with more carbs and got as lean as your previous low carb cut but 10kg heavier you say?
So you managed to gain 10kg of muscle while on a cut?

No. I said I had a break, from a footy injury from memory. So I gained weight and then did another cut.

historically when I've done low carb I haven't lost strength but certainly have struggled to put strength on. Have been able to cut down calories on low carb without really losing strength too.

carbs and insulin are anabolic as fuck, low carb will make your gains more difficult. Well that's certainly the case for me

Last edited:
When I did the low carb cut I got lean but looked like I had AIDS according to my Mrs and lost a heap of strength. Had a break for a while did a cut with more carbs got as lean as before but at 10kg heavier and had a lot more strength and felt a heap better.

Just my personal experience. Some others may do perfectly fine on low carb. I don't.

To clarify things a bit, just because something is low carb, it doesn't mean that it's a cutting diet. I eat fairly low carb all the time and I'm almost never cutting.

That said, most of the people who start a low carb diet do it to lose weight, not to improve health or strength/performance. So they pig out at the local all you can eat buffet before the first diet day then dive into the zero/low carb phase.

It takes a few weeks for a body that's run on carbs for 20-40 years to switch over to using fats for energy. The side effects of that switch over period vary but include tiredness, lack of mental acuity and lack of energy. Just like a fat bastard who has lived on chips and ice cream for the last 20 years may feel a little flat if they just dive into eating real food, like veggies.

The other factor is that the new low carb dieter cuts their calories via cutting quantity of food. That's always a bad move for someone who has never done low carb before or who has been mid to high carb for a year or so. You should actually increase the amount of food you eat during the first 3 weeks.

For example, one low carb diet, the Metabolic or Anabolic Diet, has the beginner bumping up their calories to 4000+ per day during the initial cross over phase. Strangely enough, you don't add fat and you have more energy to train.

Once the adaptation phase is over, then you have normal to higher energy levels.

But.

If you are on a low carb diet, or a mid to high carb diet for that matter, and are eating 2/3 or less of your normal calories, of course you are going to feel like crap.

Going to the extreme, the Velocity diet which is mostly protein shakes and a bit of fibre has a workout program that is a glorified warm up. Why? Not because it's also low carb. It's because you are on a near starvation calorie level and you feel like shit.

In all cases, I suggest that anyone struggling with a low carb diet is not struggling because of the types of food they are eating. It's either a lack of adaption (not giving it enough time) and/or calories set too low.

Remember, you can stuff yourself silly with clean protein and never put on fat, or minimal fat. Try that with rice.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/protein-will-not-make-you-fat

Essential ones!

Loik mars bars 'n chit. But also any starchy vegetable like potatoes or other forms of carbs like fructose in fruit. Bread, rice, other wheat products (cakes 'n chit), sugar, etc. Basically, almost anything that aint meat or fat.

Frankly, all carbs are similar. Some may be absorb quicker than others, but the end result is it all turns to a form of sugar in the blood which is used for various things like replenishing glycogen and broken down for energy. The rest is stored as fat. Some rattle on about Glycemic Index (GI) but it still all turns to forms of sugar.

The only other use they have is to act as carriers for vitamins and minerals, such as fruit. But most often those things can be found elsewhere. e.g. Vit C is in oranges and kiwi fruit and such but also found in organ meat.

http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox

Last edited:
To clarify things a bit, just because something is low carb, it doesn't mean that it's a cutting diet. I eat fairly low carb all the time and I'm almost never cutting.

That said, most of the people who start a low carb diet do it to lose weight, not to improve health or strength/performance. So they pig out at the local all you can eat buffet before the first diet day then dive into the zero/low carb phase.

It takes a few weeks for a body that's run on carbs for 20-40 years to switch over to using fats for energy. The side effects of that switch over period vary but include tiredness, lack of mental acuity and lack of energy. Just like a fat bastard who has lived on chips and ice cream for the last 20 years may feel a little flat if they just dive into eating real food, like veggies.

The other factor is that the new low carb dieter cuts their calories via cutting quantity of food. That's always a bad move for someone who has never done low carb before or who has been mid to high carb for a year or so. You should actually increase the amount of food you eat during the first 3 weeks.

For example, one low carb diet, the Metabolic or Anabolic Diet, has the beginner bumping up their calories to 4000+ per day during the initial cross over phase. Strangely enough, you don't add fat and you have more energy to train.

Once the adaptation phase is over, then you have normal to higher energy levels.

But.

If you are on a low carb diet, or a mid to high carb diet for that matter, and are eating 2/3 or less of your normal calories, of course you are going to feel like crap.

Going to the extreme, the Velocity diet which is mostly protein shakes and a bit of fibre has a workout program that is a glorified warm up. Why? Not because it's also low carb. It's because you are on a near starvation calorie level and you feel like shit.

In all cases, I suggest that anyone struggling with a low carb diet is not struggling because of the types of food they are eating. It's either a lack of adaption (not giving it enough time) and/or calories set too low.

Remember, you can stuff yourself silly with clean protein and never put on fat, or minimal fat. Try that with rice.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/protein-will-not-make-you-fat

So I said that somewhere.

High calorie low carb I was ok. Not great but ok.

Low calorie and low carb I felt terrible. I gave it over 12 months to adjust and it never happened.

I did roughly the same low calories but with extra carbs and felt miles better than low carb.

You are wrong about your assessment for why all cases of low carb don't work. Low carb does not work for me. It wasn't lack of adaption(did 12+ months) or too low calories (they were around 3000). It may work for others but not for me. Odds are I'm not the only one either.

Last edited:
It beats me why the fuck the average healthy exercising punter needs to go on a "diet" of any description.

i get it when you're on a time line re; competition and such.

Either way it's not healthy, no study to support this.

My job at the moment which I'm loving is quite physical, eggs and bacon don't compare to a bowl of oats.

My job at the moment which I'm loving is quite physical, eggs and bacon don't compare to a bowl of oats.
17bc23c3ecaf6727ff8470a18b558766.jpg